Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Depreciation impact of buying a 2019 instead of a 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one here seems to understand that depreciation is based on the market and the market will depreciate based on model year and mileage more than anything. Use kbb and see for yourself. Although carmax is still only offering me $15k below blue book for my 2018 P3D.

Yes.

But you can also snag significant end-of-year discounts from most OEMs, including Tesla, as they are pushing to get the inventory out the door. Also, dealers/sales-people, including Tesla's, are pushing to meet their quotas in December, so expect extra incentives (free supercharger miles, free feature upgrades, etc).

It will.

Do you have any evidence to back up this claim?

Model year (MY) is a proxy for age, mileage, and wear an tear. As imperfect as it is, it has stuck for a reason. All wear considerations are fully valid when shopping for a used Tesla, as with any other automotive OEM.

If anything, features are less of a factor with Tesla's due to over-the-air upgrades, and loosely documented hardware evolution milestones.

Not true.
I've bought and sold multiple vehicles on Autotrader (have one listed right now).
Not once has anyone ever asked me for a month of manufacturing.

a
I always ask for the door jamp sticker which shows the date of manufacture and the vin #. I have bought many (seven) used vehicles off eBay and won't consider them unless I can run the VIN and see the date of manufacture, this is important as I want to know the inservice date from the manufacturer on the warranty timeline. Also I hate it when people list cars and don't provide this as I then have to end up calling them and dealing with the sales pitch, (refuse to call dealers, at least the original owners seem to be honest and transparent).

This is more important with a Tesla as it may have been used a service or demo car for a year and the warranty was actually started until it's titled. You would never know this by just looking at the MY.

Reactions: vickh
Guess the answer is that an informed used Tesla buyer will want more than just the model year to determing his offer.
Example is that a 2016 Model S will be more valuable if it also has Version 2.5 Vs. Version 2.0 Autopilot.

The year matters, but also does the configuration...

In addition, mileage also seems to matter a bit less in a EV than an ICE. While an EV also ages, they seem to have fewer mileage red flags than an ICE. In an ICE you worry about timing chain going bad, frequency of oil changes, date of last tune up, miles on the brakes...things like that.

Many ICE vehicle have known weak points. Porsche needing an engine out tune up, Ferrari timing change, Honda interference belts, head gaskets drying out, injection systems service etc.

Simply less moving parts in an EV to fail due to time.

A great advantage that reduces the effects of age on a Tesla is their unique and remarkable ability to update themselves via OTA data downloads. They can get updated to the latest capabilities and turn back the hands of time.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Guess the answer is that an informed used Tesla buyer will want more than just the model year to determing his offer.
Example is that a 2016 Model S will be more valuable if it also has Version 2.5 Vs. Version 2.0 Autopilot.

The year matters, but also does the configuration...

In addition, mileage also seems to matter a bit less in a EV than an ICE. While an EV also ages, they seem to have fewer mileage red flags than an ICE. In an ICE you worry about timing chain going bad, frequency of oil changes, date of last tune up, miles on the brakes...things like that.

Many ICE vehicle have known weak points. Porsche needing an engine out tune up, Ferrari timing change, Honda interference belts, head gaskets drying out, injection systems service etc.

Simply less moving parts in an EV to fail due to time.

A great advantage that reduces the effects of age on a Tesla is their unique and remarkable ability to update themselves via OTA data downloads. They can get updated to the latest capabilities and turn back the hands of time.

A Tesla unlike an ICE has much less impact to the components due to the fact that they are not exposed to the temperature extremes in an engine bay. In the aviation industry this would be consider similar to LCF (Low Cycle Fatigue). Service Life Limit on a Tesla due to the lack of the constant heat/cool cycle on metals and the relationship between temperature, stress, and number of cycles to failure on an ICE engine and components surrounding the engine. Due to the lack significant temperature change extends the Service Life Limit of those components and with only 300 moving components to fail (verses over 7000 in an ICE vehicle), Tesla's should last a very long time with minimal maintenance, which is exactly why the aviation industry in looking to adopt electric propulsion technology....see benefits here

Agreed, alas, that information is REALLY hard to come by, and verify.

In addition, mileage also seems to matter a bit less in a EV than an ICE. While an EV also ages, they seem to have fewer mileage red flags than an ICE.

I've heard this theory repeated a few times, though with little data to back it up.
Mileage kills ties (duah) and suspension, adds interior creaks, and eventually does a number on interior electrical components. All of the above applies equally to EV and ICE vehicle.

And then there is this:
Worn Out EMMC Chips Are Crippling Older Teslas

Net-net: MY and mileage depreciation rules still apply to EVs.
There is no free lunch.