Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been told that there are a couple of places that might be able to repair HV batteries, but they don’t seem to be well known.

FYI - model 3 & Y batteries are not repairable. They have not been designed to be taken apart! That said, there might be an adequate supply of scrap cars with undamaged batteries available in a few years time...

Anyway my thinking is, in 8 years/100,000 miles, when my EV is out of warranty, I would have saved about £20,000 in fuel/running costs compared to an equivalent ICE car. So, I think I will be about £7K ahead in depreciation and running costs and that this difference would go some way towards a second-hand battery, if needed. And if not needed, and I keep the car, I will have a very cheap runabout until it dies...

Notes.
EV car purchased at £41K and valued at £5K* after 8 years/100K miles = £36K depreciation, plus electricity = £38.3K
ICE car purchased at £36K and valued at £10K after 8 years/100K miles = £26K depreciation, plus fuel/etc. of £20K = £46K
Difference between EV and ICE car = £7.7K

* Low used price as out of warranty and if the new owner can get 2 to 3 more years out of the car then the almost get the car for free after running costs! Not a bad gamble... Actually, 8 year old Leaf's are currently going for around £6K so the price at 8 years might be higher...

Reactions: Lord Farquad
It's this bit that I doubt.

"...an equivalent ICE car."

My Tesla does 0-60mph in 3.1 seconds... and is four wheel drive

Just remind me again of the fuel consumption and maintenance of an 'equivalent' ICE car...
In out and out performance (well.... acceleration at least) terms, of course you are right.

However, I strongly suspect that most folks look at M3's as being more akin to cooking Mondeo's that very high performance sports saloons.

Reactions: yessuz
In out and out performance.....well.... acceleration....terms, of course you are right.

However, I strongly suspect that most folks look.at M3's as being more akin to cooking Mondeo's that very high performance sports saloons.

My old sports car wasn't as fast as my Tesla from 0-60mph... and trying to use it anywhere near the Performance would result in 6mpg.

Say on average 18mpg... that's about £37,000 over 100,000 miles.

... and tyres lasted 4000 to 6000 miles at £300 a pop...

Nitrous Oxide was £70 refill and lasted alongside about one fuel tank full... if I was sparing 😀

I could wheelspin it at 110mph in 3rd to 4th gear...

It was not efficient like the Tesla... it was just fear inducing drama

Last edited:
Reactions: Whyone
Well, apparently the LFP battery in the later SR+ and RWD cars are rated, dare I say it, 1 million miles? They are designed for longer life cycles anyway, whether it’s 1m or not, even if you half this figure, it’s still 500k miles.
Well, if I really do get 500k miles out of the battery, then I may never need to buy a car ever again, because I'll be well over 100 years old by then! Time will tell...

Reactions: Js1977 and PITA