TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Depreciation impact of buying a 2019 instead of a 2020

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Denis54, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Denis54

Denis54 Member

I have always avoided to buy my cars in the last months of model year as it can have a significant impact on depreciation when you want to trade your car. Is it the same with Tesla?

I would not care to wait until January to order if it saves me one year of depreciation.

2. hocr

hocr Member

Don’t worry. Tesla’s are appreciating assets. :p

I thought about the same thing for a second but then came up with. “Nah”

• Funny x 2
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Tesla does not use the traditional manufacturing model year system. Tesla continuously improves its vehicles. It makes no difference whether a Tesla is manufactured on Dec 30 or Jan 1 of the following year.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  4. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

This question comes up often this time of year.

We have been trained to consider only model year to determine depreciation.

The depreciation for Tesla happens more with the introduction of new features than with clicking over to the next model year.

Configurations matter much more than Model year. Used buyers usually want the month and year of manufacture.

Battery size, range, Autopilot, Computer version (now V3) number of cameras, security, etc all set the depreciation calculation more than the year of origin.

• Like x 6
  5. tvad

tvad Member

• Informative x 3
  6. LakeWorthB

LakeWorthB Member

I think your concerns are valid. Sure everyone above says there are no real model years, but when you see a used one for sale, like a 2014 Model S, or a 2015 Model S, if they have the same mileage and features, you would expect the 2015 to get more money. But is it significant I don't know, you could look at some used teslas and figure that out. I would just buy now.

• Like x 4
  7. super20g

super20g Member

It probably makes little difference if you sell it to someone pretty knowledgeable with Tesla's... To the standard buyer, newer model year will always command more money... I mean, who wouldn't prefer a 2020 over a 2019 build?

8. remlemasi

remlemasi Member

A knowledgeable and savvy buyer would use this info to their advantage to negotiate a lower price ;)

• Like x 3
  9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

The interesting thing is that model year has always been a stand in (if a rough one) for the age of a vehicle. The main barrier I see to getting around the model year involved in deprecation is how cars are advertised. If you list your car for sale on autotrader, you will have to describe it as "2018 tesla" rather than "1.5 year old Tesla".

• Like x 2
  10. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

Based on my experience buying a used S, “MY” still matters to both buyers and sellers.

• Like x 3
  11. afadeev

afadeev Member

Yes.

But you can also snag significant end-of-year discounts from most OEMs, including Tesla, as they are pushing to get the inventory out the door. Also, dealers/sales-people, including Tesla's, are pushing to meet their quotas in December, so expect extra incentives (free supercharger miles, free feature upgrades, etc).

It will.

Do you have any evidence to back up this claim?

Model year (MY) is a proxy for age, mileage, and wear an tear. As imperfect as it is, it has stuck for a reason. All wear considerations are fully valid when shopping for a used Tesla, as with any other automotive OEM.

If anything, features are less of a factor with Tesla's due to over-the-air upgrades, and loosely documented hardware evolution milestones.

Not true.
    I've bought and sold multiple vehicles on Autotrader (have one listed right now).
    Not once has anyone ever asked me for a month of manufacturing.

a

• Like x 2
  12. TT97

TT97 Active Member

It's tricky with Teslas as they don't have true model years but even though the cars will most likely be the same, waiting for the MY 2020 will have a higher value later on (but keep in mind you will lose the remaining $1,875 federal kickback that expires at the end of the year).

Even on the Tesla page, the used inventory shows MY only, you can't find the month of manufacturing. In addition, as the 3 becomes more mainstream, there will be less "enthusiasts" buying the cars and the average consumer will not know that a MY '19 and a MY '20 are the same cars.

• Like x 3
  13. Paul8810

Paul8810 Member

The VIN for my new ordered X showed up in the source code of my dashboard today, and the 10th digit is "L". According to NHTSA's website Welcome to VIN Decoding :: provided by vPIC, this is a 2020 model year. Maybe Tesla has changed things to align model years with other manufacturers?

14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Or maybe your car won't be built until 2020.

15. Paul8810

Paul8810 Member

Yikes. Good point! :(

16. happyzod

happyzod Member

Model year matters.

17. dillon

dillon Member

Was your VIN# in the 530+ range?

18. MRGEDU

MRGEDU Member

Model year depreciation is usually a combination of mileage and year. If you do not put many miles on a car then it is best to buy at the beginning of the year. In turn, if you are a high mileage person, then buying at the end of the year is your best bet. If you keep the car for more then 6 years it hardly matters at that point.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. vickh

vickh Active Member

S had huge refresh and AP changes from 16-17. But I didn't care b/t say a 14-15.

I don't think the 3 will have this by 20. I think the Y release will be a bigger factor to 3/ X depreciation than "MY"

20. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Maybe. I have a MY20 arriving soon - according to my assigned VIN.