Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expected depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to decide if I should sell my ‘17 S75D with 70K miles. Trade in offers are around $25K - 28K. Private sale will be higher but I don’t want to deal with that.

Any thoughts on expected depreciation over the next 2 years? If my car will be worth $15K in 2 years I might as well sell. But if it will be $20K it’s cheap enough to keep around. I have another car but keeping the S will reduce wear and tear on this other car. I’ve been trying to estimate depreciation based on what kbb shows but was hoping for some knowledgeable opinions. The last year has hit Tesla values so hard that I’m not sure how much lower they can go.

I agree with the above posters about the warranty, but right now your car is not worth very much, as are most used cars. I'd wait a few months, although no one knows if it will go lower at a faster rate. It is just at a low point right now.

Xcare just added a battery and drive unit warranty extension for only 2017 and newer Tesla's. So that's another option which will be much less expensive than buying a new car.

The fact that their insurance underwriters did the research and wouldn't go beyond 2017 means they know something Tesla won't tell us about how long batteries last with time, not mileage, so you are correct in being weary of owning these cars outside of battery warranty.

Xcare just added a battery and drive unit warranty extension for only 2017 and newer Tesla's. So that's another option which will be much less expensive than buying a new car.

The fact that their insurance underwriters did the research and wouldn't go beyond 2017 means they know something Tesla won't tell us about how long batteries last with time, not mileage, so you are correct in being weary of owning these cars outside of battery warranty.
Thanks for the shout out, and actually 2016s and newer (until end of 2023)! Have a great weekend! Brent @ XCare

Thanks for the pointer. Will take a look.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ