Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Desperate for advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner, 2 weeks, really confused about service. 2022 MYLR, frunk won't close, so car can only go 15 mph. When I picked up the car, they told me to use the app if I need service. So, I did that but it is giving me an Oct 9 appointment at closest SC 40 miles away. There is no legal way for me to get there at 15 mph. Why can't they send mobile service and soon? I am at home so I did not choose Roadside. How can I talk to someone? This sucks.

New owner, 2 weeks, really confused about service. 2022 MYLR, frunk won't close, so car can only go 15 mph. When I picked up the car, they told me to use the app if I need service. So, I did that but it is giving me an Oct 9 appointment at closest SC 40 miles away. There is no legal way for me to get there at 15 mph. Why can't they send mobile service and soon? I am at home so I did not choose Roadside. How can I talk to someone? This sucks.

Can you provide more information about the frunk not closing?

When using the recommended two hands on side of the T closure method, I can push the hood all the way down. However, it is flush on the passenger side but the driver side is elevated like it would be when the Ioen Frunk button is pushed on the app, just not elevated quite that high.

I have not looked so this may or may not help. There will be some sort of adjustment mechanism for the catch. If it looks easy, you might try adjusting the catch on the side that isn’t latching properly. I don’t know if you are a do-it-yourselfer or not, what tools you have, nor whether you are one that can look at a mechanism and tell how it works, but if you are there’s probably nothing to lose by having a look and if it is an easy adjustment, try adjusting the latch. Try not to bend anything, try not to chip anything.

If anyone at Tesla later gives you grief, keep in mind it is your car, not Tesla’s. You have every right to do whatever you want to it. They are there to provide warranty service and only to provide warranty service. They delivered a car to you that now cannot be driven. If they claim you’ve damaged the latch, and you have, then you might be on the hook for that replacement latch but it should not be worse than that.

I’d give it a try, but I’m old, I’m mechanically talented, and I like to fix things.

Be aware that Tesla hoods are aluminum and they can be easily bent. Be careful not to bend your hood with excessive closing force. Some frunks have an electric motorized closure. Mine doesn’t but my rear hatch does. Anyway you’ll need a clear idea how it works. Next look on the Internet, there are often helpful sites from people who’ve faced the same problem. If it is not an electric closure, there will be kits available to convert it to an electric motorized closure. I’m not suggesting you buy and install one of those kits but the kit will have instructions, those instructions will no doubt include instructions to adjust the catch. If you can download or look online at those instructions, they should point you toward the proper way to adjust that catch.

If you do adjust the catch and you make the car drivable, you’ll still want to keep your service appointment so Tesla can make sure the catch is properly adjusted.

Once Tesla has finished, look at the hood and make sure it is properly leveled with the fender. There are probably rubber bumpers that adjust the level of the hood. Lowering one or more of those bumpers may allow the hood to latch. Still once Tesla finishes with it, the alignment should be perfect.

Good luck.

Update - I called the Eatonville SC. Nice lady says my service request is being evaluated by a virtual assistant to determine if it requires mobile or SC visit. A bit later, she advises mobile service will take care of it and shortly thereafter I get a message in the mobile app that they will be here tomorrow afternoon.
Bad experience with another car, so I won’t attempt any warranta repair unless it is an emergency or very simple with no way of hold me responsible if something goes sideways.
Not happy that my Y has this problem but very happy with Teslas response.

Well, this is an eye opener. In the fairly recent past we’ve been absolutely unable to call service centers, all numbers were either disconnected or concealed. The only way to contact Tesla service was through the app. Now I’ve found ths:

It has telephone numbers for service and for roadside assistance for each service center.

Thanks for your reply. I’m sure others will be interested in this as well. It seems to indicate a change in Tesla’s policies in that it seems we’re now able to reach a human for Tesla car care.

I hope today’s mobile service visit goes well. In my experience these mobile “rangers” are excellent.