Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Chargers at the Race Tracks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience of what the suggestion and approval process is to install a destination charger? I am reading about the workplace chargers and think that something like this will be perfect for a race track:
Tesla launches a new ‘Workplace Charging’ program to supply free charging stations to businesses
Charging Partners | Tesla
Does anyone know what would be the Model 3 charging rate on one of these?

My ca did 3 laps at the Mid-Ohio this weekend and burned through about 15%, so I think a 20-30 min (10-15 laps) session would be very doable (and indications are that the battery can thermally handle it too). If we could have the car plugged in to a destination charger while not on the track that could make a whole weekend of electric bliss. Now, with the dual motor and performance versions coming I guess there should be more interest for track events among us.

The Mid-Ohio that we went has a Tesla supercharger about 20 min away - not that far, but still going there and back, and charging would take more than an hour of driving and waiting, and you burn through ~15% just to do the round trip. I talked to one of the event organizers at the track asking whether they have 240V outlets in the garages for EV charging (they don't), and he said they do need to start thinking about EV charging, so it looks like the track management might be receptive to the idea, and if the chargers are free from Tesla they might be even more so.

Yes, this is going to be a common problem as more P3D owners feel the need to take them on track.

In the UK it would be almost impossible to do more than 1 x 20 minute session in a day at any track due to the lack of Superchargers and very little destination charging at or close to the main circuits. We need to get the track owners interested in installing multiple fast chargers at the very least, but what we really need are more Superchargers!

It will get better over time. And of course we don't actually have the Model 3 in the UK yet, so it's not yet an real problem for any of us.