Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detailers / Ceramic Coating Berkshire area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had any experience using car detailers in Berkshire area. Hopefully about to take delivery of my Model 3 and thinking of getting paint correction and ceramic coating. Live in a woody area and supect that the birds will target the car! I'm close to Reading but happy to travel a bit within reason so Bucks, Surrey, Hants etc. are also possible if there are any recommendations. From my online search, Concours Detailing looks like a good option but have no experience in this area so a bit wary of taking the plunge without at least some reference point.

Anyone had any experience using car detailers in Berkshire area. Hopefully about to take delivery of my Model 3 and thinking of getting paint correction and ceramic coating. Live in a woody area and supect that the birds will target the car! I'm close to Reading but happy to travel a bit within reason so Bucks, Surrey, Hants etc. are also possible if there are any recommendations. From my online search, Concours Detailing looks like a good option but have no experience in this area so a bit wary of taking the plunge without at least some reference point.

PP Protect will come to you for an extra charge.

Half the problem with the really good ones is that they get so busy looking after really high end cars for demanding customers with bottomless pockets that you just can't get booked in with them when you want your humble Tesla sorted!

I had a fantastic detailer do one of my cars, but when it came time for a refresh I couldn't get a slot from him, so I'm reluctant to recommend him now.

Currently, my favorite is Auto Protek in Ascot but I've also been recommended Elite, who are in Marlow so not that far away.

The problem with ceramic coatings in particular is that you won't know if it's been applied properly until you've lived with it for a few months.
Applying it properly takes time and the right conditions (dry, clean, proper lighting, car lift etc.) which is why I personally wouldn't use a mobile service or someone who says they will do it all in a day. You need paint correction before coating (otherwise you'll just seal in any damage there already).

If you want full paint correction, ceramic coat inside and out, glass treatment and wheel rims protected it's going to take maybe 3-4 days if done properly. My advice is to use someone with their own workshop and be prepared to leave your car with them for a while.

All IMO of course.

Reactions: ediflyer and Tatoo1
I originally planned a wrap, then ceramic and now likely I will go self-heal ppf and ceramic coat to complete. About £3k so not cheap. I spent an hour with a highly rated detailer in Alfreton today who illustrated the general "crapness" of Tesla paint (he had three in the shop) and why ceramic alone is OK but will still ding and chip quite badly. PPF with ceramic (hydrophobic) is much better to keep your car pristine but at a price. It also depends on how sensitive you are but having just dropped £55k on a car, I'm grudgingly going the extra mile. About 4 days work.

What is perturbing is that the Tesla paint is poor even if you think you've got a good one!

• Informative
Reactions: Sirricardo
What is perturbing is that the Tesla paint is poor even if you think you've got a good one!

Tesla are using an Eco-friendly paint (might be solely because of where they are based and local laws ...). Dunno what the others are using, but may be Apples-and-Oranges

now likely I will go self-heal ppf and ceramic coat to complete

Ignorant question : What does ceramic coat add once you have already got PPF?

My car was PPF wrapped on day one. Cars are A-to-B for me, so it is rarely washed etc. To my eye I can't see a blemish anywhere - it is 3.5 year old - really glad I did it. There have been loads of hedge scrape scratches and the occasions bumper-corner nudge by other car (which have left their paint on mine :rolleyes:), which have washed off or healed themselves in the sun.

Note that for some Insurers, Direct Line in particular in Tesla context, Wrap is a "modification" which they don't accommodate under any circumstances (that anyone that I have heard of, yet, has been able to get excluded, let alone included)

car detailers in Berkshire area

Not exactly Berkshire, but my PPF Wrap was done at the nearest one to Heathrow pickup that I could find - so I could drive there minimum-miles :) Their car park was full (literally) with Maclarens and Zondas, so clearly their clients appreciate their work.

Topaz Detailing | Car Detailing | Paint Protection | Maintenance

Tesla are using an Eco-friendly paint (might be solely because of where they are based and local laws ...). Dunno what the others are using, but may be Apples-and-Oranges

Ignorant question : What does ceramic coat add once you have already got PPF?

My car was PPF wrapped on day one. Cars are A-to-B for me, so it is rarely washed etc. To my eye I can't see a blemish anywhere - it is 3.5 year old - really glad I did it. There have been loads of hedge scrape scratches and the occasions bumper-corner nudge by other car (which have left their paint on mine :rolleyes:), which have washed off or healed themselves in the sun.

Note that for some Insurers, Direct Line in particular in Tesla context, Wrap is a "modification" which they don't accommodate under any circumstances (that anyone that I have heard of, yet, has been able to get excluded, let alone included)

Not exactly Berkshire, but my PPF Wrap was done at the nearest one to Heathrow pickup that I could find - so I could drive there minimum-miles :) Their car park was full (literally) with Maclarens and Zondas, so clearly their clients appreciate their work.

Topaz Detailing | Car Detailing | Paint Protection | Maintenance
Yes, I was reading about the paint issues. However, I don't think it's just soft paint as such. It seems their paint shop isn't quite up to scratch as there are just too many (small) defects when compared to other manufacturers. The "orange peel" effect is there on most of their cars to some degree if you look closely. Also very fine particles of dust or similar creating uneven surfaces. One of the Model X in the guy's shop was particularly poor and he was filming to try to make a more uniform surface as much as adding protection. But it depends on how sensitive you are and a lot of it you don't see until you look closely. Still not great though.

The ceramic coat on top of PPF just makes it all very hydrophobic and hence very easy to clean. A couple of the modern films are also now hydrophobic but not as sleek as a ceramic top-coat. I also got a significant discount for the ceramic as the car is already prepped and ready. I want to make ongoing maintenance as easy as possible :)

Insurers - ours (LV) are OK with this, we checked but thanks for the heads-up.

I was looking forward to showing the detailing guy my M3P but I was rather humbled when he showed me his shop. Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, you name it - there were multi-millions of pounds worth in there. Also a bit like Fort Knox with CCTV, bars etc etc and understandably so.

Cheers

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I originally planned a wrap, then ceramic and now likely I will go self-heal ppf and ceramic coat to complete. About £3k so not cheap. I spent an hour with a highly rated detailer in Alfreton today who illustrated the general "crapness" of Tesla paint (he had three in the shop) and why ceramic alone is OK but will still ding and chip quite badly. PPF with ceramic (hydrophobic) is much better to keep your car pristine but at a price. It also depends on how sensitive you are but having just dropped £55k on a car, I'm grudgingly going the extra mile. About 4 days work.

As I’m local would you mind sharing the details of the company in Alfreton?

When are you having your car done? I’d love to see it afterwards :D

As I’m local would you mind sharing the details of the company in Alfreton?

When are you having your car done? I’d love to see it afterwards :D
Sure:
These guys - ask for Jonathan and mention Dave (Tesla Model 3P) referred you. He knows his stuff.
Perfect Car Care - Detailing and Valeting

We are on a waiting list of a couple of weeks - happy to let you see the car when complete! Just PM me and we can arrange something.
Cheers

Reactions: Roy W.
Sure:
These guys - ask for Jonathan and mention Dave (Tesla Model 3P) referred you. He knows his stuff.
Perfect Car Care - Detailing and Valeting

We are on a waiting list of a couple of weeks - happy to let you see the car when complete! Just PM me and we can arrange something.
Cheers

That all look very expensive :p ....

In a serious note I looked at a lot of these... average price was around £500... I am waiting to delivery to see how bad the paint is...

That all look very expensive :p ....

In a serious note I looked at a lot of these... average price was around £500... I am waiting to delivery to see how bad the paint is...
The £500 would be for a ceramic coat, the big hit money-wise is the PPF, it all depends what you want/need. I managed to get a full package inside and out including PPF, Gtechniq Halo, wheel prep, glass and seats/interior for around £3k. I am taking another car in for some work so managed to get a deal on the back of that.

What swung it for me was posts like the one above where Wannabeowner mentioned that the day-to-day knocks and grazes are minimised. That plus ease of washing and no more bloody waxing!

I've just got my P+ ceramic coated by Auto ProTek in Ascot... Well it was actually done at Minley Manor which was an interesting location.
They also do PPF, but I couldn't do that due to Direct Line not accepting it.
They were very positive about my Model 3 saying the trim build and paint quality was very good, so I'm happy that my delivery checks were correct. Perhaps blue is a better paint colour to get?

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
@VanillaAir_UK. Thanks for the suggestion, have just had my car back from All that Gleams in Guildford. Tom & Mark have done a great job on Ceramic Coating and Front End PPF. Also put on stick-on vinyl number plate on the front and adjusted the back plate to make a bit less bulky. I also got them to repair a kerbed alloy which they've done a perfect job on. Have no connection with them other than used them following @VanillaAir_UK suggestion. However, would have no hesitation in recommending them if you are considering having protection on your Tesla. btw they have already done around 8 Model 3's!

I supplied the stick-on plates. Bought them from
Buy Legal Number Plates – Replacement Number Plates Online.
I bought both front and rear but in the end only used the front. Due to screws and indent at the back the stick on didn’t look right. The guys at All that Gleams suggested removing the frame and just putting the aluminium plate and mount back on. Think that it’s an improvement on the standard fit.
No additional charge for fitting.

Attachments

• Front Plate.jpeg
    Front Plate.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Rear Plate.jpeg
    Rear Plate.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: MrBadger and Roy W.