Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detroit - Clarkston, Mi Service Center (new)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one cares, but I did some research and this used to be a Chrysler dealership. The building was probably built in 1994, but there have been other businesses there since 1985. It was last valued at $814k.

62A154F6-2085-452C-8AF6-5E0F27ACC5A4.png
It spent its last few years as a site for a company that installed wheelchair mods to vehicles like minivans and mini-busses. They probably closed in 2018.

Here’s the business history for that address.

I welcome Tesla to Michigan.

Picked up my new M3 last week in Clarkston. Process was very smooth, the Tesla team was very helpful and knowledgeable. I paid ahead of time through the website, so I had to sign 5 pieces of paper and we were out at the car. Car had only a small paint defect at the bottom rear corner of the passenger door and a small scratch under the right headlight. They had the car all freshly detailed.

It was a "no contact" delivery, so a the employee stood outside the car and helped me connect my phone and set up my profile. I had already watched all the videos, so then he just let me play around until I was comfortable.

I'm happy I was able to do everything here rather than drive to Ohio. With picking up in Michigan, they were able to put a new plate on the car and take care of the paperwork.

Attachments

• IMG_4519.jpg
    IMG_4519.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: mrau and SunCharged
Picked up my new M3 last week in Clarkston. Process was very smooth, the Tesla team was very helpful and knowledgeable. I paid ahead of time through the website, so I had to sign 5 pieces of paper and we were out at the car. Car had only a small paint defect at the bottom rear corner of the passenger door and a small scratch under the right headlight. They had the car all freshly detailed.

It was a "no contact" delivery, so a the employee stood outside the car and helped me connect my phone and set up my profile. I had already watched all the videos, so then he just let me play around until I was comfortable.

I'm happy I was able to do everything here rather than drive to Ohio. With picking up in Michigan, they were able to put a new plate on the car and take care of the paperwork.

Sorry, I'm new to Tesla so this may be a simple question, but do you mind sharing more about the process in Michigan? Did you get an out of state title and have to do a transfer, or are they now issuing a Michigan title? I have read various posts/articles and it seems a bit fuzzy to me still.

Sorry, I'm new to Tesla so this may be a simple question, but do you mind sharing more about the process in Michigan? Did you get an out of state title and have to do a transfer, or are they now issuing a Michigan title? I have read various posts/articles and it seems a bit fuzzy to me still.

When I got my Model Y in June, I had to 1) get car insurance using the VIN, 2) fully pay for the car over the web before I picked it up since Tesla Can’t sell cars in Michigan 3) I got a temp Paper plate for thirty days From Illinois 3.5) the Model Y was home-delivered since I live more than 200 miles from Clarkston. 4) I had to pay Illinois State Tax, but got a reciprocity paperwork later in the month with my certificate of Origin. 5) The i scheduled a Secretary of State visit and bought Michigan Auto plate.

I suspect it is all the same for Clarkston pickup with perhaps a Ohio Temp plate and Ohio State Taxes possibility. Because Tesla can’t sell in Michigan, so likely can’t collect State Taxes...

When I got my Model Y in June, I had to 1) get car insurance using the VIN, 2) fully pay for the car over the web before I picked it up since Tesla Can’t sell cars in Michigan 3) I got a temp Paper plate for thirty days From Illinois 3.5) the Model Y was home-delivered since I live more than 200 miles from Clarkston. 4) I had to pay Illinois State Tax, but got a reciprocity paperwork later in the month with my certificate of Origin. 5) The i scheduled a Secretary of State visit and bought Michigan Auto plate.

I suspect it is all the same for Clarkston pickup with perhaps a Ohio Temp plate and Ohio State Taxes possibility. Because Tesla can’t sell in Michigan, so likely can’t collect State Taxes...

Thanks! This was really helpful. Between a 3 and a Y, test driving the Y next week and then will make my mind up and order!

Back to Clarkston SC. Can we keep the topic to the Clarkston Service Center?

Tesla moved my windshield appointment to Toledo Ohio via app.

"Thank you for you understanding as we build out the Clarkston SC to support the many Tesla customers in MI. We apologize...."

Funny I didn't offer my understanding. I asked then for a loaner and was told maybe.

I forgo a loaner and have my wife shuttle me in the 3 to Clarkston at least 3 times since it opened. Here in Toledo I am told my car has to cure overnight, yet no loaner is available.

So cancel it is. Windshield is there, but I am not driving to Toledo on a maybe.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and anon125110
I had a service appointment schedule for the morning of Aug. 5 in Clarkston. Various warranty fixes, dangerously erratic autopilot behavior, the yellowing screen fix, the autopilot computer upgrade, etc.

Just noticed via the app that my appointment was moved to Toledo. I was not notified or consulted if this would work (it won't). I got a text response saying Clarkston transferred the appointment to Toledo. I left a message a week or so ago at the Clarkston location to ask about a loaner, no call back. I tried again today with no answer and the voicemail is full.

What are Michigan owners doing for service? I just purchased 2 months ago, so I haven't dealt with this yet. Thank you

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and outdoors
What are Michigan owners doing for service? I just purchased 2 months ago, so I haven't dealt with this yet.

Tesla service is absolutely terrible if you must take your car to a service center. It was excellent. Tesla would pick up your car and leave you a loaner wherever you were. The location of the service center was irrelevant. Then out of nowhere Tesla cancelled that service without notice.

Now if you need to go to a service center you need to take it there yourself. It's a joke. I bought two Teslas (coming from Audi and Cadillac) and these are likely my last if they can't figure out how to service them.

Driving to Clarkston is bad enough. Having to drive to Toledo is a joke. I did it once and I will not do it again.

Toledo should have plenty of loaner cars for you. Just reply to the text message and ask prior to driving there. All communication is through the text message.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and SunCharged
maybe it has to do with Tesla opening an southfield location?

it's supposed to be a service center AND testing facility which makes it sound like it's going to be big? Southfield seems like a much better location than Clarkston imo.

it's much more in the center of metro area and personally much closer for me.

I do hope it is actually a big place where I won't have to worry about any "bad dealership" experience. my MYP has been solid so I never had to go in for any repair/warranty but as great as EV are soon or later I would have to take it in in x years.

So, I did a followup on this Tesla center in Southfield, Michigan and it appears to be dead. It's not happening.
I found three council meeting agendas about re-zoning the property in late 2022 and then NOTHING about the address or Tesla before or since. I google mapped the address and a company called Caresoft Global is in the building.

As far as I can recall, it used to be a Avis rental or something like that. Googling the address finds lots of commerical listings for sale or rental.

So, Tesla is not coming to Southfield, MI.