Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DFW - Save $1500 and go with an unauthorized XPEL Installer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to get my black 2023 perf model y done in Stealth PPF (XPEL). I know of one installer (Surround Sound in Richardson) who has tinted all of my cars over the years and I found out he also does PPF. They have been GREAT on the tint (on Teslas too) but unfortunately I have no idea on the PPF. He did say he just recently did a Black Model Y in stealth so if you are reading this, PLEASE let me know! I'm leaning toward him doing a great job, simply based on the tint of my prior cars. (Not a 1:1 for experience though, I know).

Anyway, they quoted me $4,500 to wrap the entire car in stealth PPF (XPEL). That is easily the best price I've found in DFW. However, I just went to XPEL's website and looked up the authorized installers and he isn't one of them. Is this a big deal? TriTek is the other installer I'm considering, and they are authorized - but they are also $1,500 more (probably because they are authorized).

Is it worth the risk to save $1,500 and go with an unauthorized XPEL installer?

(thinking about this some more after a few minutes...)

If I had to guess, the warranty may not be applicable, and if so, that would be a big no. I'm going to call XPEL tomorrow to find out how all of that works exactly. Who knows, maybe they are authorized and the website is just not updated. (Unlikely, but maybe)

Last edited:
Update:

I was able to answer my own question after speaking with XPEL directly. Basically if an unauthorized installer installs the film, they can't warranty it, and so the 10-year warranty is thrown out the window. So the question is if it's worth $1500 to not have a warranty and I'm going to go with no - unless those of you who've had XPEL tell me the warranty is overrated and its unlikely I'd ever use it - like those warranties you can get at best buy when you purchase electronics

I would go with the warranty. Primarily since I've seen Xpel yellow more than other tints. I used to be a big fan of Xpel but now I like STEK better. They seem to have a better hydrophobic coating. Another reason I won't go with Xpel is they changed their warranty. If you use non-Xpel ceramic coatings on their film, it will also void their warranty.

I'd also check how they wrap the car. Is it done from bulk or pre-cut pieces. If you have talented installer, I think bulk wrap turns out better. That is where they wrap your car and wrap your edges trim to fit. I had a pre-cut install done before and the seams and exposed edges really ticked me off as they were dirt traps. So instead of wrapping the PPF around the edge of the fender, it was just pre-cut to match the wheel arch. Which left an exposed edge that was a dirt magnet and ended up with a line of dirt there as it stuck the adhesive edge of the PPF.

Thank you for the insight! What you said makes total sense. I’m almost to the point of just not messing with it because there are so many variables to a good wrap and I have yet to find any installer willing to show me what one of their cars looks like after 3+ years. Everyone wants to show off a wrap that was just done. To make matters worse (for my confidence), I called one XPEL authorized installer in DFW and they weren’t even aware of the warranty change until I brought it up.

I’m going to find me an old school black bra and be done LOL

I would go with the warranty. Primarily since I've seen Xpel yellow more than other tints. I used to be a big fan of Xpel but now I like STEK better. They seem to have a better hydrophobic coating. Another reason I won't go with Xpel is they changed their warranty. If you use non-Xpel ceramic coatings on their film, it will also void their warranty.

I'd also check how they wrap the car. Is it done from bulk or pre-cut pieces. If you have talented installer, I think bulk wrap turns out better. That is where they wrap your car and wrap your edges trim to fit. I had a pre-cut install done before and the seams and exposed edges really ticked me off as they were dirt traps. So instead of wrapping the PPF around the edge of the fender, it was just pre-cut to match the wheel arch. Which left an exposed edge that was a dirt magnet and ended up with a line of dirt there as it stuck the adhesive edge of the PPF.

agree with Stek over Xpel. That's what mine is done with

It was a big leap for me to go from Xpel to Stek. Every car that I ever had PPF on except one (3m) on was Xpel. So probably 7 or 8 other cars. Biggest issue for me was the yellowing on the Xpel long term. After about 4-5 years in Florida, the last Xpel install started yellowing bad enough it was visible on a blue car. On a white one, it might have been even obvious sooner.

I have to say my Stek install also has more gloss than my Xpel did, and it was very good. Having PPF on the same exact car makes it easy to see the difference even if I couldn't line them up side by side which would have been ideal. My previous installer in Dallas who did my Xpel was very good but the latest one is in another league. So while I spent more, it was more than worth it.

I'm looking at prices too for ppf and tint. I'm still waiting to hear back from XPEL Dallas, but they're typically around the $4500 mark for the full car. That's basically what it was last time I did it there for my Model 3. I also found that Sun Stoppers does the XPEL full ppf for 4700 for the Y. Right now, I'm looking to do just the full front for ppf which a couple shops have quoted $1500. A few also quoted me $500 for just the bumper only. I'm trying to make all my decisions while I have only a few miles on my new Y.

Last year they were over 5k for a complete car. I would make sure whoever you go with, wraps the edges as much as possible. As I mentioned upstream, I am staying away from Xpel (at least for their tint) after being a loyal customer for years.

I'll be doing Stek from now on for sure. I've been very happy with CeramicFX in Garland so far with my Plaid. Gunes was great to work with and I'll have my 3 done there as well. DM if you want to know more.

Last year they were over 5k for a complete car. I would make sure whoever you go with, wraps the edges as much as possible. As I mentioned upstream, I am staying away from Xpel (at least for their tint) after being a loyal customer for years.

I'll be doing Stek from now on for sure. I've been very happy with CeramicFX in Garland so far with my Plaid. Gunes was great to work with and I'll have my 3 done there as well. DM if you want to know more.
I'm looking at Stek too. I've only gotten 1 quote so far for the Dyno with the full front being $1500. Can you DM me the information for CeramicFX? Thanks! I'm trying to get the ppf done right away since I only have 80 miles on the Y right now.

Very happy with my PPF and ceramic coat from Gunes at CeramicFX also

Reactions: greenmonk
Tritek in Garland just quoted me this if it helps

"These are custom installations to maximize coverage and quality. We only use the flag ship Xpel Ultimate Plus film that comes with a 10 year warranty. Our partial front package covers the bumper, headlights, mirrors, 18”-22” of the hood and front area of the fenders for $1050.00. The full front package covers the full hood, full fenders, bumper, headlights and mirrors for $1750.00. Full vehicle packages are available from $4995. The Xpel Stealth (satin ppf film) is $5995 for the full vehicle."