Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone install the home charger by yourself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many people install their own HPWCs.

Things you gotta ask...

How much distance between your panel and the desired HPWC?

Do you have two open circuit breaker spots, or at least some that could be turned into tandem breakers so you can get a new 240V load in there?

What is the main breaker in the panel? Is there enough remaining capacity to supply your Tesla?

Do you really NEED an HPWC for your commuting needs? Would an already-existing 120V circuit cover your needs, especially if upgraded to 20Amps? Do you have the option to upgrade a 120V circuit to 240 and totally avoid new wiring? (This last bit requires a single-outlet circuit in the garage that you can sacrifice to becoming a 240 circuit, most homes don't have that)

Will you be pulling a permit for the work? I'm not sure how it works in BC, but if nothing else the electrical inspector will probably keep your car from burning your house down while you sleep.

Reactions: canada
I did but it was in 2013. I used #1 gauge wire and a 100AMP circuit breaker. The distance was about 16 feet or so. Literally one car width from the panel, but I had to go up the side of the garage, over the door, and back down to the panel.

Reactions: canada
Any advise? Thanks

Lots of people install these themselves.... however, they have enough electrical skill to have a specific technical question (like "exactly what wire size do I need for a run of XXX" or " I was reading the electrical codes for installing YYY and wondered about THIS specific part")

If you have to ask "Any advice?" without specifics, that might mean that you should call a professional. Either that, or ask your specific, detailed question so that people who have skill (and there are lots of them here, although I am not one of them) can attempt to help you.

I'm going to start reading about this. Let's see if it's something I can do it myself too. I know I have access to the main breakers of the home right from the other side of the all of the garage. So, if I knock a hole through the stucco, I at at the breaker panel.
Let me reading begin.
p/s-Still waiting on my Model Y delivery.

I did with an electrician for a Nema 14-50 Outlet. You need room in your breaker for a 50 amp breaker, the wire witch I used aluminum 4-4-4-6, the Nema 14-50 Outlet. I bought 50 ft of wire and all together the costs was around $100.00 for supplies. I read an old PDF that the Tesla came with the Nema 14-50 adapter but it actually just came with a 110V adapter. So make sure you purchase that for $45.00. The Nema 14-50 charges at 30MPH. If you get the Tesla it will charge at 45MPH. The Tesla one will probably run you around $750.00 for the supplies vs $145 for Nema because the Tesla charger requires copper.