Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did discount tire scratch my wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys I just bought the 21 induction wheels for my MYLR. I’ve had the rims on for about a week and have been constantly checking them for scratched or road rash as I’m super paranoid about that. They were in perfect condition. I brought them in to Discount Tire today to install the TPMS as the guy I bought the rims from had taken them off to put on his new rims. After getting home from discount tire I noticed this scratch on the rear driver side rim. When I brought it back to them to ask them about the scratched rim I was told that it wasn’t from them. The guy made up some bs that there was dirt on it when he rubbed his finger against it so its been there for awhile. I know that is bs because prior to bringing it in I rubbed over it to see if I could buff it out. He also said the tool they use to remove the tire is not red as there is some red paint in the scratch. Can anyone tell me of this was caused by discount tire? I’m 99% certain that it was caused by them but there’s nothing I can do to prove it if they keep denying it.

Attachments

• 96E58C6A-A333-4B51-BE73-BDEF6D54E5DB.jpeg
    96E58C6A-A333-4B51-BE73-BDEF6D54E5DB.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 350
  • A368B89D-0B9D-440A-9004-FF0EAF056CA4.jpeg
    A368B89D-0B9D-440A-9004-FF0EAF056CA4.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 255
  • 5EC6EB34-98CF-4381-9B52-05A8D908E4BF.jpeg
    5EC6EB34-98CF-4381-9B52-05A8D908E4BF.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 282
"he guy made up some bs that there was dirt on it when he rubbed his finger against it so its been there for awhile. I know that is bs because prior to bringing it in I rubbed over it to see if I could buff it out."

This is confusing - It sounds like the damage was already there when you brought the wheels in, by this description.

But just because the tire equipment isn't red doesn't mean they didn't drop something on the tire, or place it face-down on something. I always found that excuse funny - there's a million reasons a tire shop could scratch a wheel, not all from the actual tire equipment. Maybe they leaned it up against a red toolbox?

Reactions: 804son
Upvote 0
"he guy made up some bs that there was dirt on it when he rubbed his finger against it so its been there for awhile. I know that is bs because prior to bringing it in I rubbed over it to see if I could buff it out."

This is confusing - It sounds like the damage was already there when you brought the wheels in, by this description.

But just because the tire equipment isn't red doesn't mean they didn't drop something on the tire, or place it face-down on something. I always found that excuse funny - there's a million reasons a tire shop could scratch a wheel, not all from the actual tire equipment. Maybe they leaned it up against a red toolbox?
Sorry I meant I rubbed over it after I got it back from discount tire but before bringing it back in to ask them about the scratch. When I brought it back in (within 20 mins of picking up the car) He told me there was dirt on the scratch when he rubbed his finger over it indicating that the scratch had been there for a few days. I know there wasn’t any dirt because I had already rubbed over it trying to buff it out right before I brought it back in. If there was dirt it was from me driving back to discount tire after I noticed the scratch.

Upvote 0
Just dropping something on the Tire isn't going to cause the type of rash that's picture on the tire, wheel maybe, but the tire is a pretty evident marker of curb rash, something scrapped across that tire enough to rash it and dropping just won't do that.

Reactions: Qvomo
Upvote 0
Just dropping something on the Tire isn't going to cause the type of rash that's picture on the tire, wheel maybe, but the tire is a pretty evident marker of curb rash, something scrapped across that tire enough to rash it and dropping just won't do that.
Yea that makes sense, I think I would be ok with that if they told me that but the way the guy at Discount Tire tried to justify that it wasn’t them made me a bit suspicious. I’m also sure that road rash wasn’t from me as I’ve only had the rims on for a week and pretty much do a check of my rims every time I get in and out of the car. I didn’t check when I picked up the car from Discount tire because they guy was asking me a bunch of questions about my Tesla and sort of distracted me and I didn’t want to be awkward inspecting my car.

Upvote 0
Yea that makes sense, I think I would be ok with that if they told me that but the way the guy at Discount Tire tried to justify that it wasn’t them made me a bit suspicious. I’m also sure that road rash wasn’t from me as I’ve only had the rims on for a week and pretty much do a check of my rims every time I get in and out of the car. I didn’t check when I picked up the car from Discount tire because they guy was asking me a bunch of questions about my Tesla and sort of distracted me and I didn’t want to be awkward inspecting my car.
maybe take a look around the shop and see if there was anything Red that they could have scrapped the tire against curbs or equipment like the side of a lift.

Upvote 0
In order to prevent this from happening again, one needs to do:

1. Wash wheels and tires
2. Take good close up pictures of the wheels and tires
3. Tell the guys that you took the pictures and show them there's no scratch/issues with the wheels and tires. get confirmation

Upvote 0
I've curbed 3 out of the 4 Uberturbines so far. Maybe I just suck at driving, but I find it to be almost inevitable. Lucky for me I'm not that OCD about it. I did a super ghetto job of touching them up and it was good enough for me that it's not obvious to my eyes from a distance. I consider it battle damage that the car proudly wears. LOL!

I guess what I'm saying is that since there isn't really anything the OP could do to prove the tire shop did the damage, just think of it as something inevitable and get it touched up or totally repaired and move on.

Upvote 0