Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I get free dual chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure? I thought that there are two chargers on EU spec vehicles, but they are 3ph compatible?
Someone could lift up the back seats of their car to confirm this.
It is well known they are three phase compatible. With the single charger, you basically get three 16A 230V chargers, while with the dual chargers, you basically get six 16A 230V chargers (two chargers in parallel for each phase). My understanding is that the physical packaging is such that each three-pack of chargers is in one box, which is similar to the US charger enclosure.

Several owners here in Norway went for the single charger, in the middle of 2013, before it was known that Tesla's configuration was problematic when used on public 32A Type 2, and they were more than a little peeved. (Back then, the charge overview inaccurately showed that you could charge at 7.4 kW on 32A Type 2.) They've been trying to get Tesla to cover the installation of the second charger, but I believe they've been unsuccessful, thus far.

Last edited:
For such a charger, the only real difference will be the PFC pre-converter will be of 3-phase design, but the actual charging and control portion I expect will be the same as the conventional Model S.

There won't be three chargers in one box IMHO, as balancing the current between the phases would be much more difficult.

I misunderstood you a bit. Yes, we are almost certainly talking about two chargers, where they are three phase compatible.

But this is functionally equivalent with three (six) one phase chargers. I think it's easier to think of them as three discrete chargers.

Last edited:
I thought they had a newly designed junction box under the seat that would allow the car to route the single hot pin on the inlet to multiple charger phases. This was supposed to be made available to the single phase limited EU cars for retrofit once sufficient parts supply was available. If you have a car that is limited to 16A single phase, you should definitely contact your local Tesla Service Center.