Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did i go overboard ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't .. but I currently have a 2014 Taurus SHO, had a 2006 GTO and the LR AWD is faster than both of those. I probably floored those cars a total of 10 times in like 10 years for some reason other than kicking out the rear end of the GTO which i wouldn't be able to do with either the LR or the P. I don't really ever track my car and I never really thought to myself ... I really wish these two cars were faster. I'm more into a car that looks good but is fun to drive. I think the LR AWD hits the sweet spot and if I get the itch, I can drop the 2k on the performance boost and get halfway to the P anyways.

I get that. But I still suggest you drive the performance to at least see the difference. And yes, you can kick out the rear end if you want on the performance with the new Track Mode V2 coming out. You can make the car completely rear wheel drive. :)
But yeah, each person has his own priorities and preferences...I just don't want you to regret not going to the performance later down the line. The LR feels fast because of the initial torque compared to your other cars you had...but you quickly get used to it. My performance doesn't feel nearly as fast as it used to anymore. :p

I get that. But I still suggest you drive the performance to at least see the difference. And yes, you can kick out the rear end if you want on the performance with the new Track Mode V2 coming out. You can make the car completely rear wheel drive. :)
But yeah, each person has his own priorities and preferences...I just don't want you to regret not going to the performance later down the line. The LR feels fast because of the initial torque compared to your other cars you had...but you quickly get used to it. My performance doesn't feel nearly as fast as it used to anymore. :p

I think if I never drive a performance ... I'll be 110% happy with the LR AWD lol. If I do, then yes, I'll regret it ... which costs me 6500 more along with needing to find a way to swap the 20s for the 19s lol

Wondering if anyone else went through this process like me.

1. Started out really hesitant because I can't test drive a Model 3 in my area.
2. Decide to bite the bullet and order one (2020 MSM LR AWD 19 White Interior)
3. Haven't even taken delivery (pick it up friday) and already lined up WAY too much stuff to have done
  • Ordered Tesla Charger ($500)
  • Ordered Keyfob($150)
  • Ordered USB Drive for Sentry ($40)
  • Ordered Wireless Charger ($40)
  • Set up an appointment for XPel Stealth Full Wrap, Xpel XR+ tint, Ceramic coat exterior, Ceramic coat interior ($6000)
I haven't even picked up the car or know if I'm even going to like it and I have $7000 worth of purchases ....

Anyone else go overboard like this?

Nothing you picked is exceedingly out of the norm for a Model 3 accessory. The key fob IMO is a bit of a waste given the use of the phone app and card keys on the 3. The charger is basically a necessity and USB drives are phone chargers are pretty popular and convenient. Lots of people get a wrap. That's really your main expense. Its a choice for you to make. Take it or leave it, both camps have their pros and cons.

I did everything you said plus 3D maxspider all weather mats plus trunk and drunk, Tesla T puddle lights on all 4 doors, jeda hub and wireless charger, and new lights in all the other replaceable spots all in the first week. Most of it I had before the car.

Wondering if anyone else went through this process like me.

1. Started out really hesitant because I can't test drive a Model 3 in my area.
2. Decide to bite the bullet and order one (2020 MSM LR AWD 19 White Interior)
3. Haven't even taken delivery (pick it up friday) and already lined up WAY too much stuff to have done
  • Ordered Tesla Charger ($500)
  • Ordered Keyfob($150)
  • Ordered USB Drive for Sentry ($40)
  • Ordered Wireless Charger ($40)
  • Set up an appointment for XPel Stealth Full Wrap, Xpel XR+ tint, Ceramic coat exterior, Ceramic coat interior ($6000)
I haven't even picked up the car or know if I'm even going to like it and I have $7000 worth of purchases ....

Anyone else go overboard like this?

Attachments

• BB256D3C-E9CB-4F5E-AAE8-3282EB6CB7F4.jpeg
    BB256D3C-E9CB-4F5E-AAE8-3282EB6CB7F4.jpeg
    854.8 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: Stickboy46
$6k for a full wrap is well within normal market pricing from most shops. Can you find an individual to do it cheaper? Yep, but that's few and far between.

Figuring I had the tint, ceramic, and entire front end in PPF done by a certified shop for $1400, $6k is way too much money. In this case it would $4600 to put PPF on doors, trunk and rear bumper.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Nothing fishy about it. It’s got an onboard microcontroller that can assign current based on USB profiles. @Navak can explain better than I can, as he’s the EE who designed it.
@dmurphy is absolutely correct. This little guy inside Navak splitter: http://www.ti.com/product/TPS2511 is responsible for the current control and profile detection on the "CHARGING" port. DATA port is pass true with 500mA PTC resettable fuse on it.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Figuring I had the tint, ceramic, and entire front end in PPF done by a certified shop for $1400, $6k is way too much money. In this case it would $4600 to put PPF on doors, trunk and rear bumper.
you mind sharing which shop is that? my shop quote me $1100 ceramic pro for the entire car along. It's mind blowing great deal for full front PPF, ceramic and tint.

I did everything you said plus 3D maxspider all weather mats plus trunk and drunk, Tesla T puddle lights on all 4 doors, jeda hub and wireless charger, and new lights in all the other replaceable spots all in the first week. Most of it I had before the car.
Thanks for the picture ... I'm on the fence on the wrap. I love the look is the main reason i want it .. the protection is just an added (huge) benefit.

Yea i think most people saying think it's way more than they would spend for the product, but I've yet to see someone come back that they got the same product for less.

The pricing is not significantly off from what others have paid. I think most people are reacting to shock of the price as a percentage of the total purchase price of the car being so high. And the fact that it is 2/3 of the difference in price between the AWD and the Performance car.

The pricing is not significantly off from what others have paid. I think most people are reacting to shock of the price as a percentage of the total purchase price of the car being so high. And the fact that it is 2/3 of the difference in price between the AWD and the Performance car.

Which is fair. To me: the performance is a waste for my day to day use BUT you will get SOME of that money back in resale. The wrap would provide me more joy while I own it, but would get almost nothing back in resale (only potentially some extra based on the paint job being in a better condition)

• Funny
Which is fair. To me: the performance is a waste for my day to day use BUT you will get SOME of that money back in resale. The wrap would provide me more joy while I own it, but would get almost nothing back in resale (only potentially some extra based on the paint job being in a better condition)

I think you are looking at this very logically and you have thought it out well. Only you know if you will get $6,000 of enjoyment from the wrap. If you do, then it will be a good investment for you.

I just have the LR RWD model, which is .5 seconds slower than the AWD, and I still find it to be ridiculously fast. So the furthest thing from my mind was to ever consider a performance car. Then one day I ended up getting a Model S P85D loaner, which I ended up keeping for two weeks. I was just blown away. I still don’t know if I would ever spend the extra money. But I definitely got a lot of enjoyment from those two weeks.