Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did i go overboard ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the pro-PPF camp. I tend to buy my cars to keep forever. Within a few weeks of getting my M3P there was no doubt in my mind that I'd be keeping it for a long time. My cars get parked outside the majority of the time. Clean, flawless, glossy paint brings me joy. I hate seeing even minor swirls. While I enjoy spending time washing, detailing, claying, and polishing/compounding/waxing the paint, and understand how and have the tools to do it, I'd rather have the time for other activities or to spend with my family.

I love when people comment that you could get the car repainted for the price of a wrap. Sure, your car would look flawless for few months after the repaint, but what about the 5 years in between repaints that it is accumulating chips, swirls, and other flaws? For the same price, a wrap keeps my car looking flawless for the entire life of the wrap.

I've owned cars from 8 different manufactures so far in my life. The paint on the model 3 is by far the softest paint of any car I've ever owned. If you're the type of person that has wrapped cars before, or are inclined to do so now because you want the car to be easier to maintain and look it's best for the duration of your ownership, then I highly recommend getting a wrap if the price isn't obscene to you.

Does the $6k also include paint correction and full ceramic coating of the car, wheels, windshield, and trim? If not, that's close to Bay Area prices; I'd expect labor to be cheaper in Kansas.

Btw, paint correction made a HUGE improvement on my new multicoat red car, it's practically a different color. Image below for comparison.

View attachment 518223
The 6k is all of that mentioned plus tinting the windows with XPel XR plus tint plus ceramic coating the interior (white interior)

Reactions: MightyThings
I'd say only overboard on the paint and key fob. Once you get the car you'll find the paint quality is quite poor and not worth a 6k investment to protect. The key fob is also kinda useless, assuming you carry a smartphone daily. They chew up batteries and only rarely come in handy. I've had to use my key card a handful of times to lend the car to people and they all figured it out.

I was in a similar boat when I bought my car, but much smaller purchases like struts to auto open the trunk and such. Ended up not wanting those features when I got the car.

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
I'd say only overboard on the paint and key fob. Once you get the car you'll find the paint quality is quite poor and not worth a 6k investment to protect. The key fob is also kinda useless, assuming you carry a smartphone daily. They chew up batteries and only rarely come in handy. I've had to use my key card a handful of times to lend the car to people and they all figured it out.

I was in a similar boat when I bought my car, but much smaller purchases like struts to auto open the trunk and such. Ended up not wanting those features when I got the car.

I'd challenge that if the paint is really that bad .. wouldn't it make an investment to keep the car as nice as possible be worth more? If the paint was really nice and strong .. then yea .. 6k to protect it wouldn't seem to be as useful. (this is ignoring the fact that the stealth wrap is a visual change too)

As far as the Keyfob. you are probably right that it's not necessary. My reasoning: 1. I wanted the easier access to the Frunk/Trunk without pulling out the app. 2. From what I've seen the App isn't 100% reliable and having unlock on approach is nice. 3. Easier manual lock if I don't trust the walk away. 4. I have to carry 2 Keys with me at all times anyways. My office key, and my house key since my dog has locked me out of house twice already .... so having a fob is actually easier than just carrying two keys.

All good thoughts! As far as the install of the charger. Just got the quote back 425 to have them install it on a 60amp circuit and add a couple other outlets in my garage on another circuit. So definitely reasonable enough for me.

No kids for me and I got premium interior so I'll rock the included mats for a bit
You’ll change your mind once you see just how cheap the stock mats are. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I'd challenge that if the paint is really that bad .. wouldn't it make an investment to keep the car as nice as possible be worth more? If the paint was really nice and strong .. then yea .. 6k to protect it wouldn't seem to be as useful. (this is ignoring the fact that the stealth wrap is a visual change too)

As far as the Keyfob. you are probably right that it's not necessary. My reasoning: 1. I wanted the easier access to the Frunk/Trunk without pulling out the app. 2. From what I've seen the App isn't 100% reliable and having unlock on approach is nice. 3. Easier manual lock if I don't trust the walk away. 4. I have to carry 2 Keys with me at all times anyways. My office key, and my house key since my dog has locked me out of house twice already .... so having a fob is actually easier than just carrying two keys.
Maybe because I worked in car dealerships so long is why I have trouble justifying $6k for PPF. I know that at most shops you can usually repaint the entire car (well) for that kind of dough. So say 5 or 6 years down the line when the factory paint is scratched, chipped, and faded, I can go walk into most shops here and ask them to repaint the whole car. It might cost a tiny bit more than $6k, but generally I can get full repaints under $8k, usually more like $7,000 or $6,000 for midsize cars. Some people act like paint is not replaceable, and it's just not true, it's just generally after several years, people have a really hard time justifying the replacement cost since the honeymoon stage has long faded :D

As for the phone app, with the latest updates it has gotten infinitely better, I have maybe 1 failure every few months, and I just toggle bluetooth on and off on my phone and the issue disappears. As for walk away lock, it's super reliable, almost too quick to lock. Sometimes just walking to your frunk will lock the car now, so I wouldn't worry about it. The key is a nice collector piece though!

Maybe because I worked in car dealerships so long is why I have trouble justifying $6k for PPF. I know that at most shops you can usually repaint the entire car (well) for that kind of dough. So say 5 or 6 years down the line when the factory paint is scratched, chipped, and faded, I can go walk into most shops here and ask them to repaint the whole car. It might cost a tiny bit more than $6k, but generally I can get full repaints under $8k, usually more like $7,000 or $6,000 for midsize cars. Some people act like paint is not replaceable, and it's just not true, it's just generally after several years, people have a really hard time justifying the replacement cost since the honeymoon stage has long faded :D

As for the phone app, with the latest updates it has gotten infinitely better, I have maybe 1 failure every few months, and I just toggle bluetooth on and off on my phone and the issue disappears. As for walk away lock, it's super reliable, almost too quick to lock. Sometimes just walking to your frunk will lock the car now, so I wouldn't worry about it. The key is a nice collector piece though!

All good points. Though to the repaint option... someone else mentioned this, but if you take that approach, you are basically spending 6-8k in order to sell it, but you had to live with a chipped/scratched whatever car for 5 or 6 years. If you spend it up front, you get to live with a much more pristine car the entire time. Which to a person that hates chips and all that, could be worth a lot. But still a valid counterpoint that comes down to what you value in your car :)

I wonder if you could get a paint shop to apply another brand of clearcoat that is doesn't scratch so easily on top of the factory clearcoat. They usually do that when blending panels, so why not the whole car. Would probably be a lot cheaper than PPF.

All good points. Though to the repaint option... someone else mentioned this, but if you take that approach, you are basically spending 6-8k in order to sell it, but you had to live with a chipped/scratched whatever car for 5 or 6 years. If you spend it up front, you get to live with a much more pristine car the entire time. Which to a person that hates chips and all that, could be worth a lot. But still a valid counterpoint that comes down to what you value in your car :)
Fair point if you’re an OCD person however that pristine paint on your used car for resale may get you all of 1-2K over what it otherwise would have sold for.

That being said, i suppose if it makes you happy and doesn’t break the bank: Go nuts.

I say hold off on the wall connector and key fob. Especially with the fob you can always start without it, see how it is.

I think the wall connector would be nice but does not provide enough value. I just use the mobile connector with a 14-50 receptacle and the Tesla cord organizer keeps it pretty neat and tidy. The 14-50 then can be used by guests etc pretty easily. If only having the one connector becomes an issue I’ll probably just get another mobile connector. People mention the higher output of the wall connector but 32 amp is plenty for me; still full charge overnight with typical use.

I have had no issues with the phone app yet. It is a bit annoying at times to open the app to open the frunk but it’s worth not having the fob. Suggest turning on lock chime so you know auto-lock happens. I like having a key chain with only one key and a small pen, it’s great.

I bought a bunch of little stuff before I got the car. Most of it was sitting around for a few weeks.
  • Glovebox organizer - very useful
  • Center console tray - very useful
  • Door, cup, and center console liners - I like the idea but mine have a pretty small lip
  • Jeda USB hub - Love this. Looks great and works great.
  • Samsung T5 ssd -
  • All weather mats all around from WeatherTech - I don’t hear many people using these. I’ve had them on all my prior vehicles.
  • Sub-trunk organizer - Nice to have two separate spots instead of one big space.
  • Brighter interior and trunk lights - Nice they are brighter. Kinda surprised by how dim the oem ones are.
  • Door handle wraps - The white isn’t quite right but I like it better than chrome.
  • Hidden storage under armrest - I have not used this yet. Sounded like a great idea when I saw it.
  • Also tire repair stuff; repair kit, compressor, and jack pads
I thought about full wrap too. The matte finish is pretty nice. Until I saw the price. I just can’t spend that much on it. But, I understand wanting it. :)

I have the passive keyfob and I like it. I personally don't like how long it takes for the walk away locks to engage, so I lock the car with the keyfob. I'm still on the original battery (comes with 2 batteries, but no lanyard)....

I considered it [CHAdeMO Adaptor] .. but they aren't available right now. Figured I can survive until they come back in stock.
I would go back to the ordering site now and use the "Send me an email when available" button (or whatever it says). That way, if you do decide you want one, you'll be further up in the queue.

Hard to enjoy paint when you’re inside the car. :D
See, this is my standpoint. While I keep my car clean and waxed, I am not as concerned about the exterior as I am the interior. My comfort and enjoyment of the car comes when I am driving it. Hence, why my major spend was on the full tint for my comfort and majorly upgraded sound system for my bliss (Reus Audio).

The 6k is all of that mentioned plus tinting the windows with XPel XR plus tint plus ceramic coating the interior (white interior)

Oh, if it includes all of that plus window tints, and interior ceramic, $6k sounds about right for a fully custom wrap from a well regarded shop. All of that would probably be $2-4k higher in the Bay Area (which, I'll admit, is insane. I also know that some people have found better deals at smaller shops).

I say hold off on the wall connector and key fob. Especially with the fob you can always start without it, see how it is.

I think the wall connector would be nice but does not provide enough value. I just use the mobile connector with a 14-50 receptacle and the Tesla cord organizer keeps it pretty neat and tidy. The 14-50 then can be used by guests etc pretty easily. If only having the one connector becomes an issue I’ll probably just get another mobile connector. People mention the higher output of the wall connector but 32 amp is plenty for me; still full charge overnight with typical use.

I have had no issues with the phone app yet. It is a bit annoying at times to open the app to open the frunk but it’s worth not having the fob. Suggest turning on lock chime so you know auto-lock happens. I like having a key chain with only one key and a small pen, it’s great.

I bought a bunch of little stuff before I got the car. Most of it was sitting around for a few weeks.
  • Glovebox organizer - very useful
  • Center console tray - very useful
  • Door, cup, and center console liners - I like the idea but mine have a pretty small lip
  • Jeda USB hub - Love this. Looks great and works great.
  • Samsung T5 ssd -
  • All weather mats all around from WeatherTech - I don’t hear many people using these. I’ve had them on all my prior vehicles.
  • Sub-trunk organizer - Nice to have two separate spots instead of one big space.
  • Brighter interior and trunk lights - Nice they are brighter. Kinda surprised by how dim the oem ones are.
  • Door handle wraps - The white isn’t quite right but I like it better than chrome.
  • Hidden storage under armrest - I have not used this yet. Sounded like a great idea when I saw it.
  • Also tire repair stuff; repair kit, compressor, and jack pads
I thought about full wrap too. The matte finish is pretty nice. Until I saw the price. I just can’t spend that much on it. But, I understand wanting it. :)
The wall connector was a non negotiable to me. I didn't want to have to mess with removing the cable any time I needed to take it with me. An extra cable isn't much cheaper than just getting the wall connector and you get the extra functionally with it along with it looking cleaner and better.

The wall connector was a non negotiable to me. I didn't want to have to mess with removing the cable any time I needed to take it with me. An extra cable isn't much cheaper than just getting the wall connector and you get the extra functionally with it along with it looking cleaner and better.
This is in our future (X2) with the Mrs’ LYD inbound soon. In theory we could share the Gen1 UMC plugged into the 14-50 since she drives ~15-25mi/day and wouldn’t need much more than a :30 top off in most cases. I on the other hand average 800mi/wk with 150 per commuting day.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110