Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Model S Plaid just have range downgraded by 37 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing has physically changed with the car, only an update in testing standards. If you drive conservatively on trips to your cabin (barring extreme weather and temps) you should be fine.

The 2024 also had a decrease due to "comfort and functionality" changes. However, Tesla is completely silent on what percentage of the 37 mile reduction is due to the EPA changes vs actual change to the car. Unfortunately, this lack of transparency is typical of Tesla.

Thanks, I just looked and the MS LR is still advertised at 405 miles - https://www.tesla.com/models/design#overview

So Tesla hasn't adjusted the range. Interesting.

That's because the EPA reduction due to testing changes and whatever changes they made that actually reduce the range were exactly offset by switching to a more efficient tire but at the expense of lowered top speed to 130 mph. There might also be other compromises such as more noise and less comfort, but we won't know that until we know what tire they're using.

here is my teslafi data from 10/16/2023. I did not schedule preconditioning of the battery before departure. that would have probably helped with range to get the battery at the most efficient temperature for performing. I tried to hold it in, but had to stop in virginia to use the facilities.

View attachment 1009625

So your 280 mile trip equates to 100% range of 383 but your average of 55 mph and max of 71 mph means you were driving conservatively. Still about what is expected if everything is good.

So your 280 mile trip equates to 100% range of 383 but your average of 55 mph and max of 71 mph means you were driving conservatively. Still about what is expected if everything is good.
Yes I mentioned that I was in chill going speed limit then under speed limit for last 15-20%. It wasn’t about trying to drive normal, it was to get from south eastern pa to anywhere in NC before charging.

I accomplished that happily.