Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Model S Plaid just have range downgraded by 37 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FIY. In October, i drove my Model S Plaid from 100% to 3% and drove 363 miles. To be honest, the last 12% i drove under the speed limit to see how far I could get and made it to a supercharger. So real mileage would be around 375-ish. It was low 60’s out and was driving speed limit the first 80% of the battery. From West Chester, PA I made it all the way to North Carolina without stopping to charge.

You will likely lose 5% degradation the first year, then loss is much less per year after that. You will also lose 20% to 50% during cold winter driving. Also, the total range for the EPA rating is best contitions not going fast, and running the battery from 100% to 0%, which you would never do in driving Useful range is more like 20% to 80% normally, so that loses 40% off the EPA range right off the bat.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Humble suggestion, if you have a weekend cottage 350 miles away, without knowing the temperature and elevation you will encounter on such a drive, it is worth considering a LR 19" and a 240V outlet at the cottage.
There are plenty of superchargers around. It is around 400 miles to my family, so I really only need to Supercharge once to make it, but only 120v easy access at family destination (I have a mobile charger). I stop at closest supercharger to destination and charge so that I have at least 80% on arrival. Then the 120V will keeo me full until I start the return.

I would at least install a 240v outlet, and maybe another Tesla Wall Connector if I owned another property that I regularly visit. It is sometimes inconvenient, but always available to top up at a Supercharger for infrequent visits.

Reactions: Eric33432
FIY. In October, i drove my Model S Plaid from 100% to 3% and drove 363 miles. To be honest, the last 12% i drove under the speed limit to see how far I could get and made it to a supercharger. So real mileage would be around 375-ish. It was low 60’s out and was driving speed limit the first 80% of the battery. From West Chester, PA I made it all the way to North Carolina without stopping to charge.
I'd want more detail on that. I've never even hit 300 miles with my plaid.

here is my teslafi data from 10/16/2023. I did not schedule preconditioning of the battery before departure. that would have probably helped with range to get the battery at the most efficient temperature for performing. I tried to hold it in, but had to stop in virginia to use the facilities.

1705461479838.png

Reactions: byeLT4