Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the Mid-range and Long-range prices dropped $2900??

Did the Mid-range and Long-range prices dropped $2900??

• Yes

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Price drop in different amount

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all..first post..been watching Model 3 closwlt and lurking here for a few weeks since driving my friends...

Do you think the price will drop again following the next cut to the tax credit??

My BMW lease is up on September...right now I'm planning to try and buy to get a June delivery of a LR dual motor in order to take advantage of credits (both $3750 Fed and $1750 PA rebate which ends July 1 as well). That's means having a 3-4 month overlap with 2 cars...not incredibly efficient but worth it considering the incentives...

But now I'm thinking, is it really more like a TV and just better to wait the 4 months and buy in September??

Really wish I could just get out of this lease now!! Haha

Hey all..first post..been watching Model 3 closwlt and lurking here for a few weeks since driving my friends...

Do you think the price will drop again following the next cut to the tax credit??

My BMW lease is up on September...right now I'm planning to try and buy to get a June delivery of a LR dual motor in order to take advantage of credits (both $3750 Fed and $1750 PA rebate which ends July 1 as well). That's means having a 3-4 month overlap with 2 cars...not incredibly efficient but worth it considering the incentives...

But now I'm thinking, is it really more like a TV and just better to wait the 4 months and buy in September??

Really wish I could just get out of this lease now!! Haha
Tesla reduced the base price by $2000 on early Jan to "compensate" for $3750 tax credit reduction. So i think Tesla most likely will drop base price by $1000 on July. And then drop another $1000 on Jan of next year.
But you never know for sure, they did a LOT of price cuts so far this year already ($6000 total), so they are really not making much in margin, probably has no room to reduce base price further.

Seriously, people need to lighten up. A Tesla is no different from buying any other early entry technology product. The used market is probably better suited for some.

I remember when I bought a Sammy 55” LED TV way back then for over $4K. Worth less now than it cost to throw it away probably, hah.

When do you ever see the MSRP of a new car go down from one year to another (ie 2019 Model 3 vs 2018 Model 3)? Even if the model didn't change year over year, I've never seen a 2019 Toyota XYZ have a lower MSRP than a 2018 Toyota XYZ.

I took delivery 2 days ago on LR AWD, so I’m a bit annoyed about the $2900+tax. They are offering all whole took delivery in 2019 the $3k Autopilot option for free. But what they were positioning as “the old autopilot option that costs less” is really a new option with less features, not very exciting sounding. Think I’d rather my $3k back, no? I probably should look at this as “I have more features than I did yesterday”.

I was maybe interested in adding EAP next year, but it seems it won’t really cost me that much less now ($6k for FSD instead of $7k for EAP), and it will be $10k to add both AP and FSD for others?

I thought I had a 3 day right of recission in Colorado, so I was going to return the car to try to get a refund, but I guess that is not true.

Please explain how you arrived at this conclusion, I am curious.

I purchased in September 2018 for:

$70,000 + $1,000 in doc/delivery

At the time the PUP was an additional $5,000, and FSD was $3,000. This brings it to $79k (forgot the doc/delivery fees earlier).

Additionally, the Federal Tax Rebate was $7,500, and we were offered $5,000 in exchange for FUSC (not offered now). This brings the total to: $66,500.

Right now, the P3D with AP and FSD is: $67,500+$1200 doc/delivery-$3750 = $64,950.

Making the delta = $1550.

When do you ever see the MSRP of a new car go down from one year to another (ie 2019 Model 3 vs 2018 Model 3)? Even if the model didn't change year over year, I've never seen a 2019 Toyota XYZ have a lower MSRP than a 2018 Toyota XYZ.

What is so bad about a company trying to pass on savings from operational improvements to the end customer? Would you be happier if Tesla kept the same price, or raised the prices slightly each year just because of a new year designation like ICE brands?

Last edited:
Reactions: RBowen and PaulJB
Now that is a bummer, hopefully having the car earlier takes away some of the sting. Would have been way better to wait for tax credit phase out in your case, assuming you knew you coudn't use it. My condolences!

Yeah.... I needed the car at the time.... I maxed it out with the EAP and FSD.... Paid for the MSM paint, but stuck with the 18 inch wheels...

Only stings when I look at the numbers on paper..... So, I don't look and just drive... which I luv!

For comparison, I purchased a LR AWD Model 3 late December 2018 (from my order agreement and comparison from Tesla website today):
Model 3 - 35,000 Model 3 LR AWD - 33,950
LR AWD - 18,000 Autopilot- 3,000
Silver Metallic - 1500 Silver metallic - 1500
EAP - 5000
Total: $59,500

What is so bad about a company trying to pass on savings from operational improvements to the end customer? Would you be happier if Tesla kept the same price, or raised the prices slightly each year just because of a new year designation like ICE brands?

They say they have to close stores to support the $35k car. It seems to me it would have been wise to maintain the existing pricing to help offset the $35k model if it is that much of a boat anchor to the company. It's great they pass along the savings, but from what I read so far, they need the funds more than the current buyers do.

Lowering prices seems to just anger the previous buyers anyway. Perhaps the demand just isn't there at the old price points.