Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diesel owner looking to convert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should be able to find some pretty fair prices on Turo rentals Find unique cars for rent nationwide this is something I would think will make up your mind one way or the other if you can spend the night with an S then a 3.

Tesla does sometimes offer to give overnight test drives and they did that for me once when they were trying to sell me an S before the 3 was available to me so I would check into that as well

+1 for the Turo recommendation. We rented several Teslas on Turo while we waited for our Model 3.

@UnderCharged I have 2004 Dodge 2500 Diesel, 2017 Model S, and 2018 Model 3.

Only reason I've kept the Dodge is that I have a trailer to pull. Probably sell the boat soon, so the truck will go too.

The S & 3 are such different animals you really have to drive them. One might be better than the other for a given person, but I don't feel either is better overall. Sure, 3 has newer technology, but the S is larger and to me more comfortable. Especially for family trips. I do prefer the drive of the 3. It's much more like my old E36 M3. (or even like the go kart we used to race around the neighborhood as kids).

On the 3 I don't mind the missing drivers dash, except at night. I mostly drive the S, so I'm sure I'd get use to it, but that is when I notice it the most. Just blackness in front. Kinda nice, kinda un-nerving. My wife, the primary 3 driver, says it is no big deal.

I was getting 15mpg in the truck @ diesel prices. Charging the cars is much less expensive. It helps, but never going to make up for the cost / depreciation of a new car though :)

You have to drive both, spend some time with both, and possibly drive at night if you really want to get the full feel.

Good luck with your decision. If you have any specific questions let me know. I'm in Texas, so cannot help with back to back test drives.

@UnderCharged I have 2004 Dodge 2500 Diesel, 2017 Model S, and 2018 Model 3.

Only reason I've kept the Dodge is that I have a trailer to pull. Probably sell the boat soon, so the truck will go too.

The S & 3 are such different animals you really have to drive them. One might be better than the other for a given person, but I don't feel either is better overall. Sure, 3 has newer technology, but the S is larger and to me more comfortable. Especially for family trips. I do prefer the drive of the 3. It's much more like my old E36 M3. (or even like the go kart we used to race around the neighborhood as kids).

On the 3 I don't mind the missing drivers dash, except at night. I mostly drive the S, so I'm sure I'd get use to it, but that is when I notice it the most. Just blackness in front. Kinda nice, kinda un-nerving. My wife, the primary 3 driver, says it is no big deal.

I was getting 15mpg in the truck @ diesel prices. Charging the cars is much less expensive. It helps, but never going to make up for the cost / depreciation of a new car though :)

You have to drive both, spend some time with both, and possibly drive at night if you really want to get the full feel.

Good luck with your decision. If you have any specific questions let me know. I'm in Texas, so cannot help with back to back test drives.

I was planning on grabbing a cpo model s or model 3, so the initial depreciation wouldn't be nearly as if it was new. I still have a another vehicle so I can wait a little bit while some leases become available. but a Turo rental might be needed to make that final decision between the two. if anybody is close, I'd be willing to give gas money for a ride ;) lol

Reactions: brkaus
I was planning on grabbing a cpo model s or model 3, so the initial depreciation wouldn't be nearly as if it was new. I still have a another vehicle so I can wait a little bit while some leases become available. but a Turo rental might be needed to make that final decision between the two. if anybody is close, I'd be willing to give gas money for a ride ;) lol
If you do go the CPO route, I would at least get AP2 hardware. That would bring the Model S AP experience pretty close to what the Model 3 has currently.

Reactions: UnderCharged