Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

difference in Slacker resume behavior when coming back to the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jlv1

Twice as much fun
Oct 14, 2015
Central MA
Slacker behaves differently in my S (2017 AP2 MCU1) and my X (2018 AP2.5 MCU2) when resuming playback when I return to the car after I leave it while it was in the middle of a song.

In the S, the song starts over from the beginning.

In the X, the song resumes from the position it was at when I left in the car. (although when I get in the time position initially says 0:00 until it starts playing, when it jumps to the correct time)

Is this a difference between the S and the X, the MCU1 and the MCU2, or something else?

Both cars have always behaved this way, regardless of firmware revision (both have 2019.8.5 right now).

Slacker behaves differently in my S (2017 AP2 MCU1) and my X (2018 AP2.5 MCU2) when resuming playback when I return to the car after I leave it while it was in the middle of a song.

In the S, the song starts over from the beginning.

In the X, the song resumes from the position it was at when I left in the car. (although when I get in the time position initially says 0:00 until it starts playing, when it jumps to the correct time)

Is this a difference between the S and the X, the MCU1 and the MCU2, or something else?

Both cars have always behaved this way, regardless of firmware revision (both have 2019.8.5 right now).

Yeah be glad it resumes at all! At least the car is still playing Slacker. :p

If you were listening to USB music, not only would it not resume about half the time. it would start scanning the files and will not let you listen to music until it is done.

I wish they would really focus on the media player aspects of the car and fix some of these issues -- both Slacker playback AND USB music.

Reactions: shellderp
Of course, I'm not having an issue with this; it's just a difference and I'm trying to understand what causes that difference.

If you were listening to USB music, not only would it not resume about half the time. it would start scanning the files and will not let you listen to music until it is done.
I did see your post elsewhere about that and it's funny but I've not had that issue listening to USB; the few dozen times I've used USB it always seemed to resume correctly. My S does take 2-3 minutes to index the USB stick, whereas the X did it in 5-6 seconds; that difference I attributed to MCU1 vs. MCU2.

Of course, I'm not having an issue with this; it's just a difference and I'm trying to understand what causes that difference.

I did see your post elsewhere about that and it's funny but I've not had that issue listening to USB; the few dozen times I've used USB it always seemed to resume correctly. My S does take 2-3 minutes to index the USB stick, whereas the X did it in 5-6 seconds; that difference I attributed to MCU1 vs. MCU2.

I can confirm that about half the time I get back in my car, I am faced with about 3-5 minutes of time to re-index my USB drive when I have made absolutely no changes to my media. During this time, I can't listen to my media :(:(:(

I have MCU 2.0 so this issue with re-scanning the media drive is not a MCU 1 or 2 issue but just a software issue. Honestly, even if MCU is slower, it should not rescan the drive and deny music playback when a customer gets in the car to start driving. How about doing that when the car is locked and not being used? o_O

It seems not resuming music playback is an issue that affects both streaming and USB media :(

Oh how I would love to get a software update with the release notes that say they fixed the media player :D

I do not have premium and slacker behaves perfectly every time in my M3......as does usb.
I think media code in the 3 is different? I never paid much attention to it, but is there really the same slacker thingie as in the S/X?

In the S/X code it's really apparent they want to punish people that did not pay for premium with annoying restarts: Slacker Songs restarting - Why?

• Informative
Reactions: jlv1
BTW: I far prefer Slacker restarting the song from the beginning (as in my standard audio S). It means if I liked the song when I left the car, I'll get to listen to the whole song again when I get back to the car. Having the song resume in the middle is very annoying.

(it would be different if this was an audio book, but it isn't).

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid