Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference in Steering options (Sport vs. Standard vs. Comfort)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any difference in the steering options on 2018 Model X D100 I don't feel any ?
There should be, but it may be so subtle that some people only notice a difference in fatigue after driving. The AP1 models had a more discernible difference, and their "Sport "was probably only as heavy as newer models' "Comfort" but their "Comfort" was everything I want (so light that most people would probably prefer "Standard" or "Sport"). The difference is so significant between the AP1 rack and the AP2+ rack that I felt bait-and-switched when I bought my 2017 after test-driving a 2016 (not Tesla's fault in this case).

There should be, but it may be so subtle that some people only notice a difference in fatigue after driving. The AP1 models had a more discernible difference, and their "Sport "was probably only as heavy as newer models' "Comfort" but their "Comfort" was everything I want (so light that most people would probably prefer "Standard" or "Sport"). The difference is so significant between the AP1 rack and the AP2+ rack that I felt bait-and-switched when I bought my 2017 after test-driving a 2016 (not Tesla's fault in this case).
But what are you to feel, what I'm I too look at or expect from one setting to another.

I have an AP1 car and (because I just put on summer tires) switched from standard to sport for the first time, and I definitely noticed I needed to exert more force to get the car to turn at freeway speeds. It was not subtle. The plus side was it seemed to eliminate any lag between input and response.

If you can't tell the difference, maybe it's because they did it differently on AP2 cars, I don't know. Or it might be due to your tire selection or play in the steering linkage or some such. But on my 2016 X the difference is pronounced.

Sport is Stiff- I guess to simulate older sports cars without power steering OR to reduce the steering "float" for more accurate driving at high speed. Standard is standard- what you expect from something like a BMW x5 or any other high end SUV. Comfort is floaty- the steering will feel loose and forgiving, great for people who are used to Jeeps or pickup truck steering.