Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences Between Mid-2018 Model S and Mid-2023 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@BridgeMojo, you're going to be so happy! I replied to another thread, but below is what I said:

I just did this. I traded in my late 2017 Model S 100D for a Model S Plaid (and did the FSD transfer). I too had unlimited supercharging and premium connectivity. Very rarely used the supercharging except on road trips. The connectivity is only $100/year, so not really a meaningful savings.

I usually agonize after a big purchase, second guessing myself. Not once did I do that this time! It's just awesome! It's like the ultimate upgrade: It feels completely new, but there's a hint of nostalgia that makes it very comforting. Trust me, you won't regret it!!

Also, drove both the Yoke and the Steering Wheel, and ended liking the Yoke better, as did my wife. I figured by getting the Yoke, if I ended up hating it, it was only $750 to replace it with a Steering Wheel (there's no option to go from Wheel to Yoke).

Please let me know if you have any questions! Like I said, it's awesome! Now I just need to updated my profile pick...

Please let me know if you have any questions! Like I said, it's awesome! Now I just need to updated my profile pick...

Thank you!

Tell me about not having the ultrasonic sensors. Are you doing okay? I almost freaked out about that, and I think it made my wife freak out a little too (seeing me).

This thread has convinced me that it'll be just the way you describe. The car is waiting for me in Burbank right now, just have to wait for my wife to get back from a trip. :)

@BridgeMojo, the software version I got from the factory had the same functionality as my old USS car (showing me the outline around the car as I got close to things). It actually seems better since it appears to show further from the car vs. the old USS visualization. The cameras are also WAY better (almost like going from old SD TV to HD TV), so that also helps when backing up, like I do into my tight garage. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. BTW, what are the specs on your new car?

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Hey, when I trade in and accept delivery, can I keep the mobile charging kit with the 110 and 220 plugs? I need that, and the new one doesn’t come with it, right?
Most likely. I had the same car as you. The lack of horn in the middle bugs me and the lack of stalks. However, I can live with it. When driving with the yoke, I kept accidentally hitting the horn. The round steering wheel workswell.

I have a Model S built in June 2018 and am considering trading it in for the latest Model S. I honestly haven't been following Tesla news much lately so I'm hoping the experts here are able to help me understand the differences/improvements made between the two. I currently have a 75D with FSD HW3 and am considering the Long Range (not Plaid).

The ones I know off the top of my head:
  • Faster Supercharging (up to 250 kW versus 150 kW that rarely even gets to 120 kW in reality)
  • HW4
  • Redesigned interior (horizontal screen, rear seat screen)
  • Interior camera
  • Yoke option for steering wheel
  • Exterior speaker?
  • 1-pedal driving
  • Wireless phone charging
  • Better cameras (related to HW4?)
  • Ability to view live feed via app
  • Phone/card entry (like the 3/Y)
  • Upgraded matrix headlights
  • Removal of ultrasonic sensors (uses cameras now close distance estimates?)
  • HD radar? Unsure about this one but not sure if it is part of HW4
What else am I missing that's "major"? Is there any reason NOT to upgrade? Or anything one would need to look out for?

For 19" tires, are the kWh/m a bit better? Currently getting average of 350 kWh/m right now and am hoping the latest S is more efficient.

When doing a self referral, are you getting both the buyer reward and the seller reward? It seemed like there is a "loyalty" reward for purchasing another product which seems like the same as the buyer rewards (aka doesn't get the 20,000 referral credits one would get as a referrer award). Credits expire within 12 months?

I assume the supercharging benefit for referrals ended as of the previous quarter, right? I thought I saw some headline about getting 3 years, then being able to extend to 6 but that may already be over.

Thanks in advance for helping me understand!
The newer car has a different motor from my understanding. It makes a whining noise when I accelerate at certain speeds. I noticed first on the test drive MS. When I drove a 19 inch wheel car it had a very annoying whine, more then the one I ended up with. Also with the new car, I miss the 2018 button to change songs, and also for the autopilot. I have a harder time pushing the button to the side. The new MS has a tilting screen too, and the rear screen. The storage in the center seems larger with better access then the 2018. Also, they said that I can not change the screen display in front of the steering wheel. I have yet to double check that too. I was also told that the 19inch wheels make a rattle/noise from the hubs vs the 21 inch wheels. The 21 inch wheels seem to have a nicer responsive drive around corners, but not as smooth as the 19 inch. Also, the tailgate was way off alignment compared to my 2018 March mfr date. This was an issue for me. I hope they fix these stamping issues, and the whine. Have you explored any other EVs in this price range….Audi/porsche?

The newer car has a different motor from my understanding. It makes a whining noise when I accelerate at certain speeds. I noticed first on the test drive MS. When I drove a 19 inch wheel car it had a very annoying whine, more then the one I ended up with. Also with the new car, I miss the 2018 button to change songs, and also for the autopilot. I have a harder time pushing the button to the side. The new MS has a tilting screen too, and the rear screen. The storage in the center seems larger with better access then the 2018. Also, they said that I can not change the screen display in front of the steering wheel. I have yet to double check that too. I was also told that the 19inch wheels make a rattle/noise from the hubs vs the 21 inch wheels. The 21 inch wheels seem to have a nicer responsive drive around corners, but not as smooth as the 19 inch. Also, the tailgate was way off alignment compared to my 2018 March mfr date. This was an issue for me. I hope they fix these stamping issues, and the whine. Have you explored any other EVs in this price range….Audi/porsche?

That's weird, for me, the new Model S is soooo much quieter than the old one. And the ride (on 21 inch wheels) is greatly improved as well. Again, haven't found a single negative.

BTW, the other big improvement that might have only bothered me, is the back trunk cover. In the old Model S, if you forgot to flip the cover back, you'd see it bouncing in the rear view mirror (and therefore drive you nuts). Now, it magnetic, so when you flip it up, it folds in half and "sticks" together. No more flapping!!!

That's weird, for me, the new Model S is soooo much quieter than the old one. And the ride (on 21 inch wheels) is greatly improved as well. Again, haven't found a single negative.

BTW, the other big improvement that might have only bothered me, is the back trunk cover. In the old Model S, if you forgot to flip the cover back, you'd see it bouncing in the rear view mirror (and therefore drive you nuts). Now, it magnetic, so when you flip it up, it folds in half and "sticks" together. No more flapping!!!
Yep, for got the nice privacy cover! It is nicer and a nicer material. The interior is more attactive too. My passengers (kids) say the rear is not as comfortable a ride. I may downsize my wheels to 20 inchers. Not sure though. I have a buyback now, and interested in repurchasing my same car but with 19 inchers, I can always upgrade at a later point, and probably for less then the 4500.

Yep, for got the nice privacy cover! It is nicer and a nicer material. The interior is more attactive too. My passengers (kids) say the rear is not as comfortable a ride. I may downsize my wheels to 20 inchers. Not sure though. I have a buyback now, and interested in repurchasing my same car but with 19 inchers, I can always upgrade at a later point, and probably for less then the 4500.
Curious: Why the buy back, and how much $ are they dinging you for the miles you've driven the lemon car?

Took delivery yesterday on my "deep blue metallic" Model S dual-motor.

I was bawling like a jilted lover when I turned over our 2018 obsidian model S (named Toothless). That car was a magic carpet for my wife and me, taking us to all four corners of the US on several road trips.

But I'm over it. I love the new car.

Yes the lack of ultrasonics is annoying, and my hand will be reaching for the turn signal stalk for a few weeks. Everything else about the car is so far beyond the old car that I no longer care. The first thing that struck me is how solid and confidence-inspiring the new suspension is. The center console between the seats is SO much better, and I love the wireless charging pads.

Then there's that first time I notice a cooling breeze on my backside. Ahhhhh!

My wife was terrified of driving the new car. All she had to do was sit in for a moment, drive it around the block, and now she's beaming too.

The FSD transfer is completed, but it won't be live until a software update. I can't tell when that will be, but I'm all hooked up to wi-fi to be ready for it.

I love having myQ for the garage door instead of Homelink. It still gets hung up sometimes though. Driving home today, the screen froze and we had to wait quite a while before the car would open the garage door. I have a theory that the car might have been caught in a switch from cellular connection to wi-fi connection. The old car would never connect to wi-fi if it wasn't in Park, and I don't know how this one behaves.

Between ordering the new Model S, paying for it, and taking delivery, the price cuts happened.

Without saying anything, Tesla adjusted my sale price, downpayment, and financed amount to match the new prices. I have a refund on the way, and my monthly payment is about $200 less than I had been expecting.

They also did NOT change the offer price on my trade-in, which legitimately would lose some value with the price cuts on new cars.

Hats off to them.

Curious: Why the buy back, and how much $ are they dinging you for the miles you've driven the lemon car
Between ordering the new Model S, paying for it, and taking delivery, the price cuts happened.

Without saying anything, Tesla adjusted my sale price, downpayment, and financed amount to match the new prices. I have a refund on the way, and my monthly payment is about $200 less than I had been expecting.

They also did NOT change the offer price on my trade-in, which legitimately would lose some value with the price cuts on new cars.

Hats off to them.
That is awesome! I ordered mine last week. blue LR with white interior, 19" and steering wheel (tempted to do the Plaid, but held back for the extra savings). I will likely do ppf and window tint too. Transitioning from a March 2018 MS 100D.

That is awesome! I ordered mine last week. blue LR with white interior, 19" and steering wheel (tempted to do the Plaid, but held back for the extra savings). I will likely do ppf and window tint too. Transitioning from a March 2018 MS 100D.
Please let us know how the LR is! Always wondered if plaid was worth it however I have a P100D right now and I might look to upgrade soon as well

Resurrecting this thread with a similar question, though in my case, I'm thinking of finally replacing my well-worn 2014 S85. Two years of obsessing (I had deposit on a Taycan--lovely car but just couldn't get past the horrible range and lack of one-pedal driving), then a Lyriq (trying to save $$--but with the price drop on the S, the advantage is minimal and I don't like SUV/crossovers). Latest fantasy was an Audi A6 eTron Avant (I love station wagons) but its vaporware status (maybe next year?) and my anxiety over my ancient (130K miles) S is mounting. So...a Model S LR seems like best option, though I still hate that the car design is the same as my 9 year old model.

The discussion has been very helpful. I have a few more questions:
  • I am assuming that my 2014 Wall Connector and the mobile charging cable (that came standard back in '14) will still work with the new S?
  • It seems like the consensus here is that FSD is not worth the $12K price. But should I get the enhanced Autopilot at $6K? What does that do beyond my prehistoric Autopilot v1 on my car?
  • Does the S come with key fobs, key cards, or both? Do people prefer the cards kept in a wallet vs the fob in the pocket?
  • The loss of stalks will bug the heck out of me--have folks been able to make the adjustment?
  • Am I correct that I should ask my buddy who is also thinking of replacing his S to refer me and vice versa? What will that give each of us?
  • I will certainly miss free supercharging. Having never paid, can someone give me a very rough guess on what, say, a 50% charge (like from 30% to 80%) costs--is it $5, $25, or $50?
thanks!

Resurrecting this thread with a similar question, though in my case, I'm thinking of finally replacing my well-worn 2014 S85. Two years of obsessing (I had deposit on a Taycan--lovely car but just couldn't get past the horrible range and lack of one-pedal driving), then a Lyriq (trying to save $$--but with the price drop on the S, the advantage is minimal and I don't like SUV/crossovers). Latest fantasy was an Audi A6 eTron Avant (I love station wagons) but its vaporware status (maybe next year?) and my anxiety over my ancient (130K miles) S is mounting. So...a Model S LR seems like best option, though I still hate that the car design is the same as my 9 year old model.

The discussion has been very helpful. I have a few more questions:
  • I am assuming that my 2014 Wall Connector and the mobile charging cable (that came standard back in '14) will still work with the new S?
  • It seems like the consensus here is that FSD is not worth the $12K price. But should I get the enhanced Autopilot at $6K? What does that do beyond my prehistoric Autopilot v1 on my car?
  • Does the S come with key fobs, key cards, or both? Do people prefer the cards kept in a wallet vs the fob in the pocket?
  • The loss of stalks will bug the heck out of me--have folks been able to make the adjustment?
  • Am I correct that I should ask my buddy who is also thinking of replacing his S to refer me and vice versa? What will that give each of us?
  • I will certainly miss free supercharging. Having never paid, can someone give me a very rough guess on what, say, a 50% charge (like from 30% to 80%) costs--is it $5, $25, or $50?
thanks!

Good questions. I'll let the more experienced folks here answer them. I just pulled the trigger on a MSP after the price drop, but was sitting on the sidelines for a while.

If you want something different, did you look at the Lucid?