Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences Between Mid-2018 Model S and Mid-2023 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S built in June 2018 and am considering trading it in for the latest Model S. I honestly haven't been following Tesla news much lately so I'm hoping the experts here are able to help me understand the differences/improvements made between the two. I currently have a 75D with FSD HW3 and am considering the Long Range (not Plaid).

The ones I know off the top of my head:
  • Faster Supercharging (up to 250 kW versus 150 kW that rarely even gets to 120 kW in reality)
  • HW4
  • Redesigned interior (horizontal screen, rear seat screen)
  • Interior camera
  • Yoke option for steering wheel
  • Exterior speaker?
  • 1-pedal driving
  • Wireless phone charging
  • Better cameras (related to HW4?)
  • Ability to view live feed via app
  • Phone/card entry (like the 3/Y)
  • Upgraded matrix headlights
  • Removal of ultrasonic sensors (uses cameras now close distance estimates?)
  • HD radar? Unsure about this one but not sure if it is part of HW4
What else am I missing that's "major"? Is there any reason NOT to upgrade? Or anything one would need to look out for?

For 19" tires, are the kWh/m a bit better? Currently getting average of 350 kWh/m right now and am hoping the latest S is more efficient.

When doing a self referral, are you getting both the buyer reward and the seller reward? It seemed like there is a "loyalty" reward for purchasing another product which seems like the same as the buyer rewards (aka doesn't get the 20,000 referral credits one would get as a referrer award). Credits expire within 12 months?

I assume the supercharging benefit for referrals ended as of the previous quarter, right? I thought I saw some headline about getting 3 years, then being able to extend to 6 but that may already be over.

Thanks in advance for helping me understand!

Although the 2023 has led matrix headlights, I do not think Tesla has implemented any features to use the matrix to mask objects, like increased illumination of an animal/pedestrian along the side of the road. The lights are just on in the default, unchanging illumination pattern. Perhaps they will improve this over time.

Whole different suspension. Heat pump instead of resistive heat. There’s a LOT of under the skin improvements — the only thing that’s really common between them is the shape. It’s a much improved car in many many ways.

I’m averaging below 260wh/mi right now lifetime with the 19” wheels. (‘21 LR). It’s shockingly efficient. That heat pump makes a huge difference!

The only reason I can see to not upgrade is if you really love the vertical screen and couldn’t stand a horizontal one … or a lack of shifter/turn signal stalk.

And no - if you self refer you only get the $1000 and the 3 months FSD. The credits don’t appear.

So it’s better to use someone else’s referral code….. you won’t get anything additional but you’ll help someone else out …

Last edited:
Battery cooling is huge. It’s what allows fast charging. But it also doesn’t degrade as SOC goes down nor does power degrade as speed goes up. Even at 60mph if you punch it (even an LR) it has a ton of kick.

Some think suspension is not as good as Raven.

Noise cancelation. It’s a little goofy but works.

Phone as key.

These are great! Please keep 'em coming! Anything else?

I also forgot to mention the premium internet being a cost now (as I bought it a month before that policy changed), but $100/year isn't terrible.

Any threads about the ultrasonic sensor removals that I should read to see if it's better/worse?

None of the Model S vehicles are including unlimited supercharging, right? I barely use it (only on trips) but have had it on my last two Model S vehicles so I'm mentally resistant to not having it since I've always had it. Probably a weird thing to be hung up on.

None of the Model S vehicles are including unlimited supercharging, right? I barely use it (only on trips) but have had it on my last two Model S vehicles so I'm mentally resistant to not having it since I've always had it. Probably a weird thing to be hung up on.

Correct. No FUSC anymore. We have it on our X, but I’m freaking out a bit because my S doesn’t have it. And my referral Supercharging miles (from the original program) just expired so I’d have to pay for my next Supercharging. Hoping to refer someone so I can top up a few SC miles; I barely use it but like you, I’m hung up over having to pay for it. :)

One thing to note on the new cars really is how much better that heat pump is than the old heating/cooling system was. It just heats up so quickly and cools down so fast in the summer. Oh, did I mention the ventilated seats? If I had SC miles I would’ve taken the S from NJ-FL last week instead of the X *just* for those! Back sweat is gross…. LOL.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just be sure to order the ROUND steering wheel vs. the yoke joke; you'll thank me later.

It's still a terrible user interface with the grossly inadequate horn button positioning (NOT in the center--it's a on spoke which is constantly in some wrong position), the missing turn signal lever and shifter, however, but it's all set for FSD which is coming in . . . two weeks, I'm sure;-)

Overall, it's a fine automobile greatly damaged by Elon's boy-racer/video game fantasy, and his reputation for firing people when he doesn't like their guidance. Pity really.

Yoke vs. Round wheel is a personal preference and use case. I prefer the yoke. If you are not sure...get the wheel to be "safe", or rent (Turo) an S for a weekend with a yoke.

Agree about the horn...would prefer center placement. However, I prefer stalkless interface for everything else.

Reactions: Teetoogrn and bkcyk
Just my opinion: Drive by wire...probably going to be waiting several years for that. I also think most manufacturers are settling in around 300ish miles of total range as a general sweet spot. The focus will be on charging speed and charging locations.

Reactions: electricar
I am in a similar position, but waiting for the drive-by-wire and a battery/range boost before pulling the trigger.
My hunch is that the next MS/MX update will transfer over the four wheel steering from the CT as the rear fenders seem large enough to allow a few degrees of rear wheel steering.

And hopefully it'll have a turn signal stalk and a useable horn button:)

Reactions: pilotSteve
I’m doing the same upgrade: A June 2018 100D for a metallic blue dual motor.

I’m really happy to see this thread. When I learned about the lack of ultrasonic sensors, I nearly canceled the order.

I admit they got me with the FSD transfer. I don’t have the trade-in offer yet, but they’re offering me a delivery appt. in Burbank already. (Can’t take it til my wife is back from a trip.)

Hey, when I trade in and accept delivery, can I keep the mobile charging kit with the 110 and 220 plugs? I need that, and the new one doesn’t come with it, right?
New ones come with a J1772 adapter that can be used at Level 2 (AC) chargers with a J1772 Connector / Cable.

You do need to buy the mobile charging kit separately if you want a new one...I don't see why you couldn't keep your existing kit. Technically, I don't know if they'll ask for it if it was included with your original vehicle. Worst case scenario: you could always order a kit after the fact if you need to surrender it.

You keep your old charger—you paid for it when you bought the car…
I think the question is...it was actually included in the price of the older car. (Unlike today where it is not included... you pay for it separately.) So it's kinda like "can I keep the jack and spare tire of my old Dodge when I trade it in...or will they ask for it?)

Won't really know until you trade it in.