Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences between non-P AWD Model 3 and ICE AWD handling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ℬête Noire

Jan 30, 2018
TX
A friend of a friend, after a Shiraz-soaked evening of cajoling, has talked me into showing up for an Autocross day. They are a regular at both the local Porsche and BMW meets (where she drives her 993 and (I think?) her >400hp BMWer, respectively).
I have never been, so will try take advantage of any advice I can get. However nobody has yet to show up at these with a Model 3 before, so I'm expecting if I provide better context of what my AWD Model 3 will (and won't) do that'll help me get better advice.
How should I go about explaining how the 3 AWD handles compared to other AWD vehicles that people are more likely to be experienced with? I'm assuming I'm going to have to explain when T/C is going to get in the way.

depending on what pressures you run might add few pounds to the fronts. it helps with keeping the edges from from rolling over. if the 3 has camber curves at all similar to a miata it should do really well. try not to bomb the tight turns, the power will just positively hurl you to next turn.

* camber curve is what happens to tire contact patch as you compress the suspension. teslas in my experience kick ass in this.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Just go and have fun, and as mentioned before, try not to over-drive the car. It can years to develop the skill to drive fast in autocross(without over-driving) and get a feel for what the car is doing.

Tires and driver skill have a HUGE impact on autocross times. If you are comfortable with it, let one of your more skilled friends drive your car with you in the passenger seat. They will be able to tell you what the car is doing and how its reacting.

Honestly, dont expect a great deal from the car, a well prepped honda civic with a good driver will disgrace a $100K sports car if the driver is not experienced.

With that said, you will have a blast regardless of what times you get.

David

• Informative
Oh yeah, I'm definitely coming in with the attitude to "best myself" and push the car around a bit to see what it'll do. I'll probably end up driving at the BMW one first, which unfortunately isn't as laid back as the Porsche club. They tend to more "serious" about their times. But whatever, that's their choice. :p

For tires the plan was to just run the stock 18" (see "best myself" plan above :cool:) and yes definitely bring the front up to maybe 48psi? Or 50? (keeping an eye on them run to run). Indeed the last thing I want to do is roll over a tire, do damage, and need to go home on a flatbed. I figure I'd leave the rear at maybe 44psi or so.

If you are comfortable with it, let one of your more skilled friends drive your car with you in the passenger seat.

My understanding is they only allow those that are certified as A-X instructors to ride along (or drive while you ride), and my friend isn't. The policy is because they've had issues with people bringing buddies along, looking to show off, and two idiots in the same car = stupid^2. :rolleyes: Fortunately they seem to have at least a few certified people show up, so may be able to get some direct front row feedback.

I just suspect they'll be Model 3 (and EVs in general) noobs so wanted to get an idea of how the Model 3 compares to other AWD "at the edge". It's been awhile since I drove AWD (last was a G35x) but just driving the Model 3 on the street I've thought it might be a bit more prone to understeer when first pressing the throttle early to pull myself out of the corner. Am I just imagining that, maybe it is simply a function of more power than I've bought tires for? (where "bought" is "came with the car").

How symmetrical is the Model 3's front/rear power split, has anyone determined if front/rear is like they list the KW of the two different drive units or does different gearing choices and the control system programming actually make it effectively 50/50 anyway during say 0-40mph range?

Normally AWD means you wait a bit later into the curve to start breaking into the turn (exaggerated late apex). So going a bit more outside in the first 1/3 of the turn, get around, and then you usually could get on the throttle a earlier on the back half and not worry too much about a bit of understeer happening. Not only does the line tend to have more room for pushing your front end to the outside of your turn but the front tires would bite back in as you got closer to straightened out. Is this target coming out smaller to hit/later because of so much torque and the EV drive units having it there quicker, maybe?

P.S. One thing I love about the Model 3 AWD is turning out righthand from our neighbourhood approach onto the highway by stomping from the dead stop perpendicular to the highway. It just sucks 90 degrees around as it squats, dead straight into the lane, and launches. :) But that's from a much lower starting speed. It's a lot trickery doing it left across 2 lanes plus the center lane because you cross the road crown at quite a clip.

Last edited:
I see you're considering changing the PSI differential front to rear. (Experienced) others that have already autocrossed their 3s (with the same 18" wheels) can probably lend some insight into tire pressures. In the past, I've often starting with street tires by kicking them all up 4PSI above whatever is recommended on the door, for street driving. If I get understeer, I'll create a 2PSI differential front to rear, with the higher PSI in the rear (either add more in the rear, or drop in the front). This will usually let the rear tires slide slightly more than the fronts, but it all depends on the tires, pressures, etc. Have some fun with trial and error, but don't sweat the technical stuff...just go out there and have some fun.

• Informative
Also, see if you can hitch a ride with an instructor (regardless of what car they are driving), because experiencing it will give you a whole different appreciation of what you're trying to accomplish. Plus, it will be a thrill ride.

Also, see if you can hitch a ride with an instructor (regardless of what car they are driving), because experiencing it will give you a whole different appreciation of what you're trying to accomplish. Plus, it will be a thrill ride.
Great idea! My understanding is they generally run the on-brand cars for the club first, and then separately the "category X" vehicles that I'll fall into.