Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirt roads = car full of dust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Little of both the large panel gaps allow a large air circulation and dust to enter into the door wells. My 2016 Jeep Cherokee does not exhibit this problem. But it is a two-seal design whereas Tesla seems to be a one-seal design.

• Disagree
Reactions: Akikiki
I would be so FREAKING pissed. How hard is to put good door seals in? They should give you free biohazard upgrades to pressurize the cabin and keep a positive cabin pressure to prevent this!! I would turn off recirculation and keep it on high fan during dirt road driving..

"I bought the first model year of a new car and I have problems"

yeah, that's why you don't buy first model year vehicles to allow the factory to shake out the problems. Especially during a pandemic where factory workers are unhappy they're being asked to go back to work.

Reactions: sherlockw
Just curious - how many miles / trips on the dirt road did it take to accumulate the dust shown in your video?

They said that it was a 14 mile driveway and they had made a few trips. If those are round trips that would be a minimum of 84 miles. So a lot of dirt driveway driving.

You have to expect it is going to be worse than other cars since the car is more aerodynamic so it doesn't push the dust away from the car as much as other cars, and it looks like most of the dust didn't actually make it past the seals.

I ordered the extra seal kit and will report back when I get it installed and a few trips on my driveway. My Y has the hinge marks in the paint. So all my doors got bent into the correct fitment on the car AFTER paint. Vin: 0103XX 05/20 build.

Last edited:
I drive mine on a rocky dirt road for about 3 miles when I first got it and there was a surprising amount of dust inside the door frame.

Inside the door frame make sense. I get that on one of my cars with only 1.5 miles of dirt road each way a day. I already received the RPM door seals kit, so hopefully my delivery goes well this weekend, this will be one of the first things I will be installing!