Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable HOLD when in Reverse.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I like the new Hold feature, but a minor tweak is needed. Disable it when in Reverse. Having Hold on makes backing out of a parking spot a little jerky, you have to keep your foot on the electric pedal a little bit all the time, and when I back into my driveway it is already a bit bumpy, and with having to press the pedal a bit I almost backed up too far last night.

I have been reading this criticism of Hold mode in reverse for a while, so of course when I got the update the first thing I did was back up. I have no idea what y'all are talking about. It's exactly as easy, smooth, and predictable as the forward direction. Yes, as with forward, you need to feather the pedal if you want a bit of a roll. So?

I like that it behaves the same no matter the direction.

I like the new Hold feature, but a minor tweak is needed. Disable it when in Reverse. Having Hold on makes backing out of a parking spot a little jerky, you have to keep your foot on the electric pedal a little bit all the time, and when I back into my driveway it is already a bit bumpy, and with having to press the pedal a bit I almost backed up too far last night.

Hope to see in a future software the option to disable the Hold when in reverse.
Seems easy for them to add

I love the new one pedal Hold driving overall but dislike it in reverse.

Reactions: linkster
I've ben working on driving in reverse, and its timing for when hold starts is kind of variable. Sometimes it'll roll a few feet first, sometimes it'll stop right away. Some of my reverse use is in places where backing up to a certain point doesn't matter, like backing out of a parking space, and in other places I do need to stop by a certain point, like when backing into my driveway. It's when I need to stop by a certain point that problems can happen. Same thing for backing up to a supercharger although that doesn't normally happen often.

I agree! I have to reverse in incline coming out of my garage so from this morning I have switched back to creep mode... my idea was to switch back to hold mode once I started driving forward but I never did and carried on driving in creep mode. The ease of smooth reversing in the end won it for me, and I don't mind holding the brake pedal from time to time!

I have been reading this criticism of Hold mode in reverse for a while, so of course when I got the update the first thing I did was back up. I have no idea what y'all are talking about. It's exactly as easy, smooth, and predictable as the forward direction. Yes, as with forward, you need to feather the pedal if you want a bit of a roll. So?

I like that it behaves the same no matter the direction.
I was thinking the same thing. No idea what they are talking about. Working ok for me.

It's not that its difficult to get used to hold in reverse, it just makes it more difficult and dangerous to back up precisely with hold on. Normally I could roll slow and hover the brake, coming to a very precise and smooth stop. Going over bumps while reversing isn't going to cause me to potentially press the throttle a bit since my foot isn't over the throttle.

Of course its totally possible to back up smoothly with hold mode on, its just more difficult, provides no appreciable advantage, and isn't as smooth as doing it manually. Especially with the added uncertainty with regen, the braking distance inst anywhere near as predictable as manually controlling the friction brakes. If you're never backing into or out of tight spaces with very little clearance or bumps, this probably isn't an issue. But for me, I find it to be inferior, slightly annoying, and considerably higher risk than roll mode.

Moving forward these issues tend to be mostly mitigated. You're generally fully seated, have good viability, and its much easier to brace your leg against the center console while seated to ensure more consistent throttle input over bumps. Plus the following distances typical for forward motion tend to allow for much more considerable variation with no worry. Reversing there is often times a few inches clearance from the car to stationary objects. The regen braking does not stop to zero MPH very consistently. Sometimes the car can roll a few feet, other times its a few inches. I don't understand the logic that people should work hard to improve thier ability to reverse with hold mode when this appears to be an inferior system. And what about if someone else uses the car that's never driven a Tesla? They are likely to have these same issues, and its amplified from them being in an unfamiliar vehicle. It's likely giving someone the car in hold mode will increase the odds of them hitting something while parking in a tight spot. They are also more likely to not feel in control.

Last edited:
Reactions: LavanyaLea