Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with Tesla's all weather mats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These, they are holding up real well, get great Amazon reviews too. They come in colors also so I have the grey ones that match my grey interior.
Amazon.com: 3D MAXpider L1TL00001501 Complete Set Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mat for Select Tesla Model S Models - Kagu Rubber (Gray): Automotive

Tough Pro's and Lloyds get pretty good reviews too.

Wow OP's mats look horrible if that's after washing although doesn't sound like others who have them have theirs looking so bad after cleaning if using their products on them. We've had our car for just one month now and last night were just talking about getting some type of weather mats. Thanks Hammer for the link. I'll show it to my husband tonight. It's been raining here and we really need to get something rain or not. At least he has choices.

Reactions: BBB4000
These, they are holding up real well, get great Amazon reviews too. They come in colors also so I have the grey ones that match my grey interior.
Amazon.com: 3D MAXpider L1TL00001501 Complete Set Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mat for Select Tesla Model S Models - Kagu Rubber (Gray): Automotive

Tough Pro's and Lloyds get pretty good reviews too.
i checked those out, they look good, but for some reason, Amazon says they wont fit my '16 refreshed S90D..... any idea why?

Has anyone else had issues cleaning their Tesla all weather mats? I picked these up in December 2016 and just can not get them cleaned. I have tried soap & water, soaking in soap, scrubbing, etc. The pics are after I cleaned the mats over the weekend.

For what these mats cost I am really disappointed with their quality. I have had mats from Lexus and other manufacturers that look good as new after a simple rinse.

Tesla don't manufacture them. They are from WeatherMats, which is pretty cool. I have them in my Camry and Lexus. They last and durable. If you want them to look jet black, you would have to use something like armor all on them, but that makes it to slippery.

Hammer, do have a question on those. Being textured do you find that dirt tends to build up in the recessed areas of the texture and need frequent cleaning or scrubbing?
I haven't cleaned them all winter long while my wife's S has the WeatherTech/Tesla mats and they look almost as bad as the OP's after power washing them twice this winter. I just pulled them out and gave them a quick 5 minute scrub, just water:
mats.jpg

There is some scuffing wear under the pedals but in all look much better than the WeatherTech.

BTW-We live in 20 acres of forest with a 2 mile gravel drive to get there, not a clean place to live.

Reactions: croman and SMAlset
Thanks Hammer. Showed him the thread and we'll order something tonight. We see you have an early 2016 MS. His concern is that we have a 2017 MS with the new dead pedal foot area and the Amazon site says it doesn't fit although a number of buyers with 2017s indicate they are happy with the fit. I do like the look and so does he. Appreciate your photo and feedback.

Thanks to your recommendations and photos, we ordered a set of the Kagu mats through Amazon and they arrived today. Black to go with our all black interior. Nice and lightweight and overall good fit. As advertised, no odor and they have a material on the underside that grips and does a good job staying down in place. I think the Kagu mats look nicer in the car than the photos I've seen of the Tesla/WeatherTech all weather mats which are more utility looking. Carpeted mats would probably be our first choice in the car but we really wanted the low maintenance of something like these.

The front mats fit well in our 2017 MS. The rear mat, at least in our car, could maybe use some light trimming at the edge near the center console for a better fit; however we are able to fit it in place and still move the front seats back without any issues. I'll try to take photos tomorrow in the daylight. Overall great product and the price was attractive too. And just in time for rain on Tuesday...we're in California and really aren't complaining. BTW from the box it looks like these ship from southern California and we were able to get them in two days with Prime.

• Informative
Reactions: OBX John
They are made by WeatherTech. I powerwash mine and use WeatherTechs:

TechCare FloorLiner and FloorMat Cleaner/Protector - KIT | WeatherTech.ca

Good as new.
UPDATE: I bought this spray from Amazon and it made a world of a difference. I simply couldn't get the dirt off without using this spray. I did have to use both sprays (one cleans the other is a protector) to get the final look. One spray alone couldn't get the job done. I recommend it for anyone else who got the OEM mats.

Attachments

• IMG_2748.jpg
    IMG_2748.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2747.jpg
    IMG_2747.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 155
I have success with Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner, D10101,diluted 1:4, which I buy in the gallon concentrate form for around the same price as those two spray bottles that other people mention. I use the same product at 1:10 dilution as my interior (including leather) cleaner. I got the ideas from a detailer's online videos and some forum discussions.

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
Thanks to your recommendations and photos, we ordered a set of the Kagu mats through Amazon and they arrived today. Black to go with our all black interior. Nice and lightweight and overall good fit. As advertised, no odor and they have a material on the underside that grips and does a good job staying down in place. I think the Kagu mats look nicer in the car than the photos I've seen of the Tesla/WeatherTech all weather mats which are more utility looking. Carpeted mats would probably be our first choice in the car but we really wanted the low maintenance of something like these.

The front mats fit well in our 2017 MS. The rear mat, at least in our car, could maybe use some light trimming at the edge near the center console for a better fit; however we are able to fit it in place and still move the front seats back without any issues. I'll try to take photos tomorrow in the daylight. Overall great product and the price was attractive too. And just in time for rain on Tuesday...we're in California and really aren't complaining. BTW from the box it looks like these ship from southern California and we were able to get them in two days with Prime.

I have the same concern, Amazon says they do not fit 2017 Model S. Can you please post some pictures of your mats?

I have the same concern, Amazon says they do not fit 2017 Model S. Can you please post some pictures of your mats?

Grabbed the photos this morning in our 2017 refreshed MS 75D. As mentioned above, found the front mats a really good fit. Liked that they went fairly far up the back wall. No issue with them moving with the backing they use.

Here's the front ones.

Kagu_3Dmaxpider_Mats - 2.jpg

Kagu_3Dmaxpider_Mats - 1.jpg

You can kind of see the gap between the seat rail and the mat in the second photo. Don't see this as an issue as our seats generally wouldn't be fully back as in the photo and we already removed our Tesla mats so can't compare the two right now. Noticed we still have the protective film on the 3d emblem.

Last edited:
The rear seat mat wasn't a perfect fit in ours, for the most part due to the middle console area. Bothers hubby a bit but I don't see it as much of an issue and wonder if you couldn't just trim to fit better if you wanted to. We pulled the mat back as flush as we could to the second row seats but the edging ran up the console and did cause a little bumping on the left and right side of the console but not enough to interfere with the front seats moving all the way back. So to me more of an aesthetics issue. The recessed well area of the mat still maintains its structure and don't see it interfering with retaining wet feet for example.

Left side of mat and close up.

Kagu_3Dmaxpider_Mats - 3.jpg

Kagu_3Dmaxpider_Mats - 5.jpg

Last edited:
Console section and closeups. If you look closely near the floor lighting (we have PUP lighting in our car) the mat doesn't lay totally flat and bumps up slightly. Didn't notice this being an issue with the rear mat in any other area.

Kagu_3Dmaxpider_Mats - 4.jpg

Kagu_3Dmaxpider_Mats - 6.jpg

Kagu_3Dmaxpider_Mats - 8.jpg

Last edited:
And the right rear section closeup:

Kagu_3Dmaxpider_Mats - 7.jpg

These are the black version, not the gray btw, and they do appear black as in the photo of the front right mat.

I really like the mats and so does hubby. Really light weight so will be easy to remove, clean and put back or store. In fact the box they came in was so light I actually wondered if we were only shipped one of the front mats. Seem durable though and as mentioned are waterproof.

BTW our 2017 MS 75D has the console with the USB plugs and cupholders built-in as standard. I wonder if that console unit extends further into the back now compared to the previous console Tesla installed in the Model Ss, and might be the reason the Amazon listing says it doesn't fit Tesla 2017 Model S. As for the 2016 Model S on the Amazon site, it says it needs further trim info to say if it fits (which you have no way to enter on the site). I think Tesla made the console changes in 2016, before our time owning a Tesla. I noticed that Amazon also sells the rear mat only (again not a match for 2017 Model S) and hubby says if Kagu updates the product and lists 2017 he might consider buying that for the back at that time and selling the one we have to an older model car owner. Like I said, I just don't see the need. Both of us do agree that this mat looks much more elegant in the car than the Tesla/WeatherTech all weather one. Hope the above helps in your decision making.

Last edited:
This is the center console that our 2017 refreshed model has in it:

View attachment 224287
View attachment 224286
Thank you so very much for the pictures.
These are nearly perfect, except for a slight lip on the left rear passenger side next to the center console.
You are a great help. I just ordered these in Tan and hope that with little bit of trimming I will be able to remove that little bump that appears on the rear left passenger side.
I would also like to put TESLA decals on the mats. Need little more research on some hardy TESLA decals.