Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing how electric car owners are being bashed lately in the news…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re essentially post FUD now... EV’s are enough of a known quantity that it’s not a serious issue with the folks that matter. FUD will exist, especially in right-wing media, for awhile, but the effects of it are really unimportant now and it’s time for folks here to stop obsessing over it. It’s mainly just amusing now.
The nation has a certain percentage of morons who will still 100 years from now be buying into this, and moonwalk conspiracies and QANON and numerology. But it really is no longer important. Tesla has dragged EVs enough into the mainstream and every other car maker is flipping out trying to get new models out. War’s over.
A few battles left, like getting better charging networks going for non-Tesla etc. but really, no more serious worries about FUD. No longer our job to win over neighbors.

We’re essentially post FUD now... EV’s are enough of a known quantity that it’s not a serious issue with the folks that matter. FUD will exist, especially in right-wing media, for awhile, but the effects of it are really unimportant now and it’s time for folks here to stop obsessing over it. It’s mainly just amusing now.
The nation has a certain percentage of morons who will still 100 years from now be buying into this, and moonwalk conspiracies and QANON and numerology. But it really is no longer important. Tesla has dragged EVs enough into the mainstream and every other car maker is flipping out trying to get new models out. War’s over.
A few battles left, like getting better charging networks going for non-Tesla etc. but really, no more serious worries about FUD. No longer our job to win over neighbors.
FUD is right wing, left wing, any wing. If it bleeds it leads.

I couldn't care less about winning anyone over. My MY is my first EV, and I bought it because it's cool and fast and I was ready for a new car. I did come very close to buying an ICE car since saving gas and efficiency is low on my priority list. Here in the SF bay area there are so many Teslas (and other EVs) that they seem totally normal and not bleeding edge anymore.

It has been nice to not worry about the crazy gas prices but our family still has another ICE car that only gets 18 mpg. That car is getting old so even when it's replaced it will be with another ICE (or maybe hybrid) because I'm not ready to be 100% BEV and the limitations that come with that.

I couldn't care less about winning anyone over. My MY is my first EV, and I bought it because it's cool and fast and I was ready for a new car. I did come very close to buying an ICE car since saving gas and efficiency is low on my priority list. Here in the SF bay area there are so many Teslas (and other EVs) that they seem totally normal and not bleeding edge anymore.

It has been nice to not worry about the crazy gas prices but our family still has another ICE car that only gets 18 mpg. That car is getting old so even when it's replaced it will be with another ICE (or maybe hybrid) because I'm not ready to be 100% BEV and the limitations that come with that.
Those limitations are going to be around for a long time. My eyes roll back in my head every time I see some promo or story from a site like Electrek that has a rendered image of a million dollar house with a 50k solar roof and 200k of sedans in the driveway. As if that appeals in any way to avg household making 67k per year. My town is in the 98th percentile for income... Tesla, porsche, audi, bmw etc everywhere. But drive into Philly, and you see a million cars randomly parked on the streets. Several years ago, people could pay around 6k to install a car charger outside their rowhome... so a few upper income people did it. Guess what, everyone else got bent out of shape because now richy rich can buy their own parking spot for their 100k car. So they dropped it. The city can't afford to get the lead or asbestos out of their schools. Who is gonna support spending a billion dollars to electrify the streets to cater to anyone buying a luxury vehicle? This isn't changing by 2030, or 2040...

100% ice free household and we managed just fine driving 2k round trips and all. Limitations are mostly in the head.

Only around here does a guy buy an EV and get critiqued as not good enough. You don't know his situation. I get a thumbs down for describing a real problem with EV adoption in old cities. Standard stuff here
Where did I mention anything about the guy? I just said about my experience and said limitations are mostly in our heads. The is nothing more to add but you somehow did it anyway.
PS
Obviously everyone’s situation is different.

Coke vs Pepsi
Mac vs PC
iPhone vs Android
EV vs ICE

As long as there is social media, the battle never ends
The true battle was for widespread acceptance. It’s done. the tide has turned. Opinion back and forth like Mac Vs PC is as meaningless as a Kardashian at this point.
One day we could all be Mac or PC but that’s mainly a matter of taste. But EV will take over now, the winner is pretty clear.

Last edited:
There's a lot of factors at play here - media aside. The media has an agenda, so they'll pump out what benefits them. Where I live, there's so many Tesla's on the road its hard not to take notice. Couple that with a widening cost between "fueling" ICE vs electric (by me its 3cents a mile for my Model 3 vs 17cents a mile for an ICE that gets 25mpg), the increasing number of choices available, and the uptick in consumer interest and the change is hard to miss.

My kids love the mall and always stop in the new Polestar and Lucid stores. I've observed a constant stream of people coming in, asking good questions, and showing genuine interest. There are still hurdles for many people, but once ICE/EV price parity comes with 300 miles of range, it's game over.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Saw Stephen Colbert last night bragging about his Tesla and not needing Russian oil. No one was bashing. Sort of the other way around.

Oh. You must be listening to Fox News, or Trump News, or OAN.
Stephen Colbert loves to talk from both sides of his mouth. That said I have not heard much EV criticism from either side other than they are too expensive for most people to consider, and you can't get them. What I have heard is lots of Elon Musk criticism from the left and that is always political, mostly relating to Tesla not being unionized.

Stephen Colbert loves to talk from both sides of his mouth. That said I have not heard much EV criticism from either side other than they are too expensive for most people to consider, and you can't get them. What I have heard is lots of Elon Musk criticism from the left and that is always political, mostly relating to Tesla not being unionized.
The true critique is silent. 43 million households are renters, that's 35% of all households. Most of those people do not have a garage/way to charge an EV. I recall a shock article last year about the percentage of people who buy an EV, but go back to ICE... primary reason given: Nowhere to charge. This isn't changing overnight and it's an enormous inconvenience. Millions of other households do not have a garage or driveway. I don't think it would be out of line to guess that over half of drivers in this country, do not have a convenient way to charge a vehicle. This limitation is not in the head. There is a greater good for clean air in cities, where the pollution is moved from the tailpipe to some power plant far away. Sounds great. Then each major city has to weigh the cost of installing millions of chargers throughout their sidewalks... and use substantial public money to benefit someone who bought a luxury electric vehicle. The avg Tesla buyer, according to statistics, is 75% white male, homeowner, six figure income. The avg car on the road is 12 years old. Before the pandemic threw prices out of whack, the majority of auto sales were used cars under 20k. This is what avg 67k household paying no federal taxes buys.

The true critique is silent. 43 million households are renters, that's 35% of all households. Most of those people do not have a garage/way to charge an EV. I recall a shock article last year about the percentage of people who buy an EV, but go back to ICE... primary reason given: Nowhere to charge. This isn't changing overnight and it's an enormous inconvenience. Millions of other households do not have a garage or driveway...

For this reason I want to see standardized wireless charging. Put a charging pad under every parking space (residential at least), and it will work across manufacturers, but take up no valuable sidewalk space nor have a charge cable to break or vandalize.

For this reason I want to see standardized wireless charging. Put a charging pad under every parking space (residential at least), and it will work across manufacturers, but take up no valuable sidewalk space nor have a charge cable to break or vandalize.
These are the types of ideas that are necessary to deal with actual physical obstacles that nobody wants to talk about.

What I referenced earlier in regards to Philadelphia, where a million cars are parked...

City Council advances bill to kill Philadelphia’s electric vehicle parking program​

• By Jim Saksa April 9, 2018
  • Philadelphia City Council took another step towards eliminating a program that encouraged electric vehicle ownership on Monday, advancing a bill to kill a little-used city program that allowed residents to create “EV-only” parking spaces in front of their homes. The Council has not introduced any proposals for replacement programs despite the fact that increasing the use of the eco-friendly vehicles is part of the city’s strategy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

The moribund Electric Vehicle Parking Space (EVPS) program required that residents install curbside chargers for plug-in electric vehicles at their own expense in order to qualify for the EV-only parking privilege. It attracted just 68 users over a decade of its existence. Council suspended the program last year after neighbors complained that the program unfairly allowed plug-in owners to effectively get a private on-street parking space.

4 years later and here is where they are: Feb 22, 2022-"exploring all the options for making EV charging more accessible throughout the city, including building mandates and incentives, public-private partnerships and more."

Besides a small number of chargers, it's all talk and ideas. They don't know how to fix it or pay for it.

Im in Portugal, the Algarve … but I read European and British press.

as the OP suggested the world is fill of anti EV, anti Elon and anti Tesla crap.

I almost believed it too !

When i purchased my MY , ( I hadn't driven one ) I almost expected to have a need to return it within the week.
Id been led to beleive the ride was unacceptable!

However, like everything the MSM and motoring press print this was bullshit !

Im in Portugal, the Algarve … but I read European and British press.

as the OP suggested the world is fill of anti EV, anti Elon and anti Tesla crap.

I almost believed it too !

When i purchased my MY , ( I hadn't driven one ) I almost expected to have a need to return it within the week.
Id been led to beleive the ride was unacceptable!

However, like everything the MSM and motoring press print this was bullshit !
Man I'd like to get back there. Had one of the best dinners of my life at Vila Lisa in Mexilhoeira.
So many courses, more alcohol than we could possibly drink.... 35 euro each. 😄 We were the only ones there,
they obviously opened the restaurant for us. I gave them 200. Just look for the building with the yellow shutters with blue paint.

20180614_211650.jpg

Man I'd like to get back there. Had one of the best dinners of my life at Vila Lisa in Mexilhoeira.
So many courses, more alcohol than we could possibly drink.... 35 euro each. 😄 We were the only ones there,
they obviously opened the restaurant for us. I gave them 200. Just look for the building with the yellow shutters with blue paint.

View attachment 787581
Apologies for the slow reply.

Thants kind, thanks for the recommendation, its good you have such happy memories of it.

The Algave ( arguably only if you are 50 plus) really is a super place to live. Virtually no crime, super climate and food. Lovely genuinely friendly locals.

I’m lucky enough to be part of a “lunch club“ with some old gents here. (Some are very old !) One guy was a lawyer for President Reagan back in the day !
Nationalities around the table include German, Polish, Dutch, Canadian, French, SA, American and Rhodesian .
Lunch is €14 for 4 courses, coffee and all you can drink wine (uber home not Tesla 😱) .

(The resataurants do this because for 6 months of the year they are desperate for the cash flow.)