Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing how electric car owners are being bashed lately in the news…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for the slow reply.

Thants kind, thanks for the recommendation, its good you have such happy memories of it.

The Algave ( arguably only if you are 50 plus) really is a super place to live. Virtually no crime, super climate and food. Lovely genuinely friendly locals.

I’m lucky enough to be part of a “lunch club“ with some old gents here. (Some are very old !) One guy was a lawyer for President Reagan back in the day !
Nationalities around the table include German, Polish, Dutch, Canadian, French, SA, American and Rhodesian .
Lunch is €14 for 4 courses, coffee and all you can drink wine (uber home not Tesla 😱) .

(The resataurants do this because for 6 months of the year they are desperate for the cash flow.)
We were there may-june 19 pre pandemic. planned to go back the following year(s) but....
I'd tell friends the wine is cheaper than water... haha... no really, the wine is cheaper than water!
And a month in Portugal, including flights, was less expensive than 2 weeks at the jersey shore.
Stayed in an eco lodge in odiaxere. Rustic but had a nice pool!
Went to the local butcher, bought 2 large racks of ribs and a 2in thick cut right off the side of beef steak. 18.64 Euro. 🤪🤪
20180609_183707.jpg

Reactions: Stuart Watson
The true critique is silent. 43 million households are renters, that's 35% of all households. Most of those people do not have a garage/way to charge an EV. I recall a shock article last year about the percentage of people who buy an EV, but go back to ICE... primary reason given: Nowhere to charge. This isn't changing overnight and it's an enormous inconvenience. Millions of other households do not have a garage or driveway. I don't think it would be out of line to guess that over half of drivers in this country, do not have a convenient way to charge a vehicle. This limitation is not in the head. There is a greater good for clean air in cities, where the pollution is moved from the tailpipe to some power plant far away. Sounds great. Then each major city has to weigh the cost of installing millions of chargers throughout their sidewalks... and use substantial public money to benefit someone who bought a luxury electric vehicle. The avg Tesla buyer, according to statistics, is 75% white male, homeowner, six figure income. The avg car on the road is 12 years old. Before the pandemic threw prices out of whack, the majority of auto sales were used cars under 20k. This is what avg 67k household paying no federal taxes buys.
For those who don't have access to L1-L2 charging at their residence wouldn't we use the model of DC charging for them? For example DC fast chargers in a Grocery store parking lot so as they shop for groceries they can charge their vehicle.

For those who don't have access to L1-L2 charging at their residence wouldn't we use the model of DC charging for them? For example DC fast chargers in a Grocery store parking lot so as they shop for groceries they can charge their vehicle.
I'm talking about dense urban areas where street parking is the only option. It's a miracle if a grocery store actually has a parking lot, most don't.
Most of the chargers are in lots and garages that cost $$$$$$. How do we handle 500k or 1m vehicles in a dense area?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Some cities / areas have been installing curbside chargers for just such occasions where off street charging is not available or drastically limited.

However I do understand the reality that installing chargers for each one or shared two parking spots is enormous complicated and absurdly expensive. And that’s before even considering upkeep, damage (driving over cables) and just plain theft / vandalism; especially is certain area.

So not likely a realistic option.

In my area a lot of apartments and condo building have added charging for renters / owners and sometimes even guests. But again the amount of chargers is a fraction of the number of cars parked there. Often they’re just a shared option that doesn’t really work in practice. Even if enforcing time limits and penalties. As more drivers switch over things will get worse, at least in the short term.

So yeah I get it. It also freaks me out when someone has a condo and spends $5K, $10K or even $15K and goes though all the condo bord red tape to get a charger installed. You won’t get it back on resale.

Some cities / areas have been installing curbside chargers for just such occasions where off street charging is not available or drastically limited.

However I do understand the reality that installing chargers for each one or shared two parking spots is enormous complicated and absurdly expensive. And that’s before even considering upkeep, damage (driving over cables) and just plain theft / vandalism; especially is certain area.

So not likely a realistic option.

In my area a lot of apartments and condo building have added charging for renters / owners and sometimes even guests. But again the amount of chargers is a fraction of the number of cars parked there. Often they’re just a shared option that doesn’t really work in practice. Even if enforcing time limits and penalties. As more drivers switch over things will get worse, at least in the short term.

So yeah I get it. It also freaks me out when someone has a condo and spends $5K, $10K or even $15K and goes though all the condo bord red tape to get a charger installed. You won’t get it back on resale.
someday Meet Plugless | The Wireless EV Charging Station so just pull up to your spot. I'd rather plug in but wireless will stop the nonsense

someday Meet Plugless | The Wireless EV Charging Station so just pull up to your spot. I'd rather plug in but wireless will stop the nonsense

Yeah roads (and parking spots) that charge your car which you drive (or parked) without plugging in is an option. Several cities are doing this now for taxis parked at airports. But this isn’t cheap or easy as well; especially at scale. And then we still have to modify the EV cars (available now) or get manufacturers on board.

Yeah roads (and parking spots) that charge your car which you drive (or parked) without plugging in is an option. Several cities are doing this now for taxis parked at airports. But this isn’t cheap or easy as well; especially at scale. And then we still have to modify the EV cars (available now) or get manufacturers on board.
Yeah I'm not really a fan but it may be an option with apartments. And just like phones it may get built in even if it's not your preferred method of charging. The EV charging roads are interesting as well

• Informative
I stick to the middle politically but it's amazing to me how many on the right will bash anyone with an EV because they think that makes you a liberal and you love biden. I hear it from people and I haven't even taken delivery of my MYP yet. People need to stop politicizing eveything and just live their lives. life is short why do people have to argue about ICE vs. EV and let it polarize groups. I care about the environment but at the same time that's not my main focus for selling a brand new 2021 Grand cherokee L that I owned for less than 5 months to go with a MYP. I did it for overall cost of ownership being lower and putting more dollars in my wallet each month since my work truck is a 1 ton diesel crew cab and at this rate I'm spending $800-1000 a month in diesel. I needed an EV for my other driving and tesla is the best.

I stick to the middle politically but it's amazing to me how many on the right will bash anyone with an EV because they think that makes you a liberal and you love biden. I hear it from people and I haven't even taken delivery of my MYP yet. People need to stop politicizing eveything and just live their lives. life is short why do people have to argue about ICE vs. EV and let it polarize groups. I care about the environment but at the same time that's not my main focus for selling a brand new 2021 Grand cherokee L that I owned for less than 5 months to go with a MYP. I did it for overall cost of ownership being lower and putting more dollars in my wallet each month since my work truck is a 1 ton diesel crew cab and at this rate I'm spending $800-1000 a month in diesel. I needed an EV for my other driving and tesla is the best.
I hate to be a jerk about this, but trading in a new vehicle for another new vehicle is pretty horrible for the environment. Not exactly the actions of someone concerned about saving $

what is difficult to understand? you have a perfectly good vehicle, and get rid of it after 5 months when you order another vehicle creating an unnecessary carbon footprint that didn't exist otherwise.

That was my guess. But then I'm not the who did the trade in; nor am I the one who had a problem with it.

But at the same time someone else bought my car instead of ordering one. I don’t see the big deal. Cars are bought and sold every second

Shoot the messenger if you must but that's not me.

o_O

what is difficult to understand? you have a perfectly good vehicle, and get rid of it after 5 months when you order another vehicle creating an unnecessary carbon footprint that didn't exist otherwise.
And someone retired an even older, more polluting ICE. There were X number of cars on the road when he added an EV to that X number, and there are still X number, but an ICE got displaced.
It’s not like he added a new driver to the world.