Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discount tire refusing to install winter tires on Model S Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Discount Tire are refusing to mount winter tires on my Model S Plaid purchased from tire track as they deemed it a safety risk. They told me the load index of the car is higher than the tires are rated for. I drive back to IL tomorrow through the mountains so I really needed winter tires on it today.

Please could someone verify that they are correct in that it would be unsafe to mount these tires?

The tires I purchased:
255/40R-19 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL (Front)
275/35R-19 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL (Rear)

Last edited:
I don't know the real risk here so I'm not sure if they are acting out of prudence or the desire to sell you their tires. I do know there are tons of independent small tire shops that will do it in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

It's a winter tire, you're not going to be pushing these things hard at all. If they are that weak (could explode driving down the road) I'd definitely reload.

I don't know the real risk here so I'm not sure if they are acting out of prudence or the desire to sell you their tires. I do know there are tons of independent small tire shops that will do it in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

It's a winter tire, you're not going to be pushing these things hard at all. If they are that weak (could explode driving down the road) I'd definitely reload.
I will be doing regular 0-60 pushes during the winter on safe roads at traffic lights, where it is safe

There you go. They won’t install them if the tire has a lower load index. I had the same problem and it was only off by 1 or 2, they won’t budge due to liability.
Is it truly a big safety risk?

• Funny
Reactions: Cal1
This tire is 100, which is 1764 lbs per tire or 7056 lbs for the car. That sure seems adequate. They are XL rated tires. I thought that is the only requirement for load index as far as Tesla is concerned, that the rating be XL Load Index.

This tire is 100, which is 1764 lbs per tire or 7056 lbs for the car. That sure seems adequate. They are XL rated tires. I thought that is the only requirement for load index as far as Tesla is concerned, that the rating be XL Load Index.
That’s what I calculated as well, is there perhaps something we’re missing? The weight load supported by these tires seems adequate to me…

The car weighs 4800lbs and the tires will handle 7056lbs. Should be fine right?

That’s what I calculated as well, is there perhaps something we’re missing? The weight load supported by these tires seems adequate to me…

The car weighs 4800lbs and the tires will handle 7056lbs. Should be fine right?
The 2020 Performance was 5997 GVWR maximum vehicle total weight (passengers, and cargo). I do not have the manual for the 2021, but I think it may be heavier for the plaid with the third motor.

This tire is 100, which is 1764 lbs per tire or 7056 lbs for the car. That sure seems adequate.
The weight of an empty car sitting still is best case scenario with respect to load carrying capability. Consider another scenario, a 5,000 pound car loaded with 1,000 pounds of things and occupants hitting a sharp dip in a road at 75mph. How much load is exerted on the tires in that case? It's a lot more than the static weight of the car. That's why the weight you're calculating based on the index is so much higher than the weight of the car.

They are XL rated tires. I thought that is the only requirement for load index as far as Tesla is concerned, that the rating be XL Load Index.
Load range =/= Load index

I agree it's "probably" not a problem given a similarly portly 2020 Performance had 19" tires with a 98 load rating.

I also agree that Discount Tire isn't gonna budge on this, they have super-strict company policy to limit their liability. If you're dead-set on the idea you might see if they'll sell the tires to you without mounting and then bring them down the street to Dale's Tires, BBQ, and Tackle and have them mounted there.

EDIT: I see now you already bought the tires from TireRack - so yeah, you need to find an independent shop that isn't concerned about corporate liability.

I agree it's "probably" not a problem given a similarly portly 2020 Performance had 19" tires with a 98 load rating.

I also agree that Discount Tire isn't gonna budge on this, they have super-strict company policy to limit their liability. If you're dead-set on the idea you might see if they'll sell the tires to you without mounting and then bring them down the street to Dale's Tires, BBQ, and Tackle and have them mounted there.

EDIT: I see now you already bought the tires from TireRack - so yeah, you need to find an independent shop that isn't concerned about corporate liability.
Sounds good! So it sounds like it'd be safe to mount these tires and still push it to the limit in terms of 0 - 60, but if theres a huge dip they could burst?

If Tire Rack lists them as fitment for your car, they are fine for the load range of your car. Tire Rack could make a mistake, but they will not recommend a tire that doesn't meet factory specifications, unless they make an error.
Tire rack didn't recommend them, i choose them since i used the same brand on my Model Y. I got the most similar size possible to OEM.

EDIT - @DerbyDave

OEM is Pirelli P Zero, 255/45-19 104Y XL Front / 285/40-19 107Y XL Rear
Aftermarket are VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL 255/40R-19 100Y XL Front / 275/35R-19 100Y XL Rear

Reactions: DerbyDave
Found a shop that’ll swap the tires, having them put on now!
54C4050E-35C4-4880-A7AE-1B1A8D777554.jpeg

53C20602-0B60-4D4F-B8F0-097309EEE1CC.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Cal1 and ucmndd
Wow I hope that lift did not damage anything. I thought you had to use the pucks on the 4 lift points at each edge.
I had the exact same concern and brought it up to them. They put the car in Jack mode and assured me it would be okay. They said every 3rd car they work on is a Tesla and they’ve never had issues before.

Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable and chime in and assure me this’ll be okay 🤣