Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discrepancy between test drive age online and in Tesla store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this. I signed up for a test drive online where the form stated you have to be 21 years old to test drive. However, when I got to the store, they informed me that I couldn't test drive because I'm not 25 or older. Luckily, I brought my dad along, so I rode in the back. Still, I was bummed I didn't get to experience what it's like to drive a Tesla, especially considering I was one of the ones who waited in line to preorder the Model 3. I'm getting the 3 regardless, but I still feel like if I've put money down to reserve a Tesla, I should be able to test drive one to see how it feels.

Now, the 25 year age requirement could have been because the only cars the Raleigh, NC store had available to test drive were the P90D and P90, which I can imagine have much higher insurance costs than an entry level MS. So, I can understand if that's why I ran into the 25 or older requirement. However, from the way the employee stated the policy to me, it seems like it was a standard policy.

Regardless, it was a bit of a confusing experience with the discripency between Tesla's website and what actually happened in one of their stores.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I'll ask the obvious question, did you show the Tesla employee the online form while you were there? If so, I am curious to how they reacted to that.

I would think the manager would at least make a phone call, or look the other way for 20 or 30 minutes. As you said, you did show up with your dad, not another 21 year-old looking for a joy ride.

Granted, this was back quite a few years ago (Fall 2012), so their policy certainly could've changed, but the original Tesla store in Palo Alto let me test drive a Model S even though I was 22 years old at the time. Similar situation too (I was with my dad). Honestly, I'd try following up with either the store's manager or Tesla HQ Customer Service/Sales. Doesn't hurt to escalate just to get a clarification on their current policy.

I'll ask the obvious question, did you show the Tesla employee the online form while you were there? If so, I am curious to how they reacted to that.

I would think the manager would at least make a phone call, or look the other way for 20 or 30 minutes. As you said, you did show up with your dad, not another 21 year-old looking for a joy ride.

Unfortunately, no. I didn't show them the form while I was there. I should have looked it up.

I did email the owner advisor after the test drive and asked him about the discrepancy. He replied that he would let me know if there are any changes in the policy.

I think I'll try emailing corporate and asking them about it. As you said, I'm obviously not trying to take it out for a joy ride by bringing my father in. I'm 23, work for a tech company, and paying for the Model 3 myself. This really shouldn't be an issue.

I do not, it now says 21. But I distinctly remember it stating 25, and I had to call Tesla HQ to make sure I'd be able to test drive the car considering I have one ordered.

My confirmed reservation is for the Model X, I also later reserved a Model 3.

I do not, it now says 21. But I distinctly remember it stating 25, and I had to call Tesla HQ to make sure I'd be able to test drive the car considering I have one ordered.

My confirmed reservation is for the Model X, I also later reserved a Model 3.

Ah, that makes sense. I know they'll definitely let you test drive of you have a confirmed reservation for the X or S.

Hopefully, they'll make that the case for the 3 soon.