Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powershare [V2X feature currently announced for Cybertruck]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok now we are getting some details:

This seems to confirm that you do not need the UWC if you have a Powerwall:

This makes it sound like you don't even need a Wall Connector if you have a Powerwall. You can use a Mobile Connector, or any other EVSE:

This confirms a special gateway with auto-transformer to make the neutral, if you don't have a Powerwall:

So, this sounds like "no additional equipment needed for existing powerwall installs" means what it sounded like it meant.

Below is a diagram of my home energy setup. The 225A main panels (with 200A main breakers) are connected directly to the 400A service panel/meter.

My understanding is that the Tesla Backup Gateway 2 is limited to 200A. In order to do whole-house backup with a Cybertruck via Powershare, I assume I would need two gateways in parallel sitting between the meter and the mains... one for main panel. Is this possible?

Also, do we know if my solar system would operate and charge the Cybertruck when off-grid? The inverter is a SolarEdge SE-10000H-US.

View attachment 996022

Drew discussing the new Powershare Gateway needed for non-Powerwall setups:

It looks like the thread I created was moved here. I disagree with the mods in doing this, but so it goes. Any insight would be appreciated.

In order to do whole-house backup with a Cybertruck via Powershare, I assume I would need two gateways in parallel sitting between the meter and the mains... one for main panel. Is this possible?

Probably best to give up 2x200A panel backup in favor 1 200A panel packup. Move all the stuff that you need backed up to one panel, and move all the stuff that isn’t needed to be backed up to the other panel. Tesla solar did that for me when they installed the solar and powerwalls. It works so that when power goes out we usually don’t even notice except for a notice from the App or that the kitchen oven (which sucks power and was moved off the backup panel) doesn’t work.

What I am wondering is if the wall connector needs to be wired into the gateway in some special way like the powerwalls presumably were. Will the wall connector really work to power the house while it is just on its own circuit like any other appliance?

What I am wondering is if the wall connector needs to be wired into the gateway in some special way like the powerwalls presumably were. Will the wall connector really work to power the house while it is just on its own circuit like any other appliance?
It should work just fine as long as it is behind the gateway. I.e. It is in the panel that is backed up.

Some people opted to not backup their wall connector, that would be an issue for Powershare.

Says the guy who has like 100 solar panels, maybe 12 Powerwalls, a house converted to full electric, a driveway that caused a big insurance event, a Nissan Maxima that probably needs a new timing belt to prevent the VG30E from blowing up, and is retired with a lot of time on his hands.

I know you can pull this off and see how that backfeeding works hah. I mean, if you can’t do this, then the rest of us are screwed.
I have been thinking about it, but from a practical angle, I just am not seeing the real value, other than cool factor, which even from me, there is a point of, well, ... :) Now, if I did not already have all the PW's, that would be a totally different story, and the generator.

Reactions: Jones1
I had an engineer friend get all excited when he thought he discovered that the on board charger could be run backwards to generate AC from the cars battery and it was just software on the Model 3 standing in the way. Well, software and 3 important components that were not included in the old Model 3s. Elon was correct when he said at the time that the Teslas couldn't provide power, but I do wonder if that's different on the new models, could you get a device like the Hyundai has to add a 120v outlet to the power plug on the car? That is such a useful device.
Exactly. Various teardowns have shown that recent Tesla models don't have bidirectional onboard charging hardware. S/X/3/Y (except RWD) do however in principle share onboard charging hardware (see Munro's teardown here for example). Provided that the Cybertruck bidirectional charger doesn't cost too much more to produce, it might soon be shared between all five models S/X/3/Y/CT for economy of scale and logistics.

One hint that makes this extra likely is that the factory tour last week showed the CT battery to be able to split in two parallell halves, meaning that the S/X/3/Y 350-450 V onboard chargers are able to charge a CT battery.

Bottom line is: Existing S/X/3/Y probably can't be updated for bidirectional but future production might be.

Last edited:
It should work just fine as long as it is behind the gateway. I.e. It is in the panel that is backed up.

Some people opted to not backup their wall connector, that would be an issue for Powershare.

interesting. I chose to put my powerwall on the non backed up panel because I didn’t want to inadvertently drain the powerwalls by just charging a car that didn’t need to be charged but was on the charger. Instead I chose to put a 14-50 on the backed up panel, which was on subpanel that was further backed up by the generator. That is, if the powerwalls got depleted and lost power, only then would the gas generator kick on to power the super essential stuff on a sub panel. And if I really needed to charge a car off the generator I could easily do so.

I could easily wire the wall connector back to the backed up panel to use it to supplement the powerwalls.

And being able to go to a supercharger and bring back a full nights power is awesome.

Instead I chose to put a 14-50 on the backed up panel
From what we have seen it sounds like you might be able to use that 14-50 with a mobile connector for Powershare with a Cybertruck, obviously not at the full 11.5kW rate. (We don't know for sure, but it sounds like any EVSE will work if you have a Powerwall.)

I hope more details get published soon.

Watching V2H/V2G developments with Enphase, I'd really suggest people hold off on buying anything/expecting anything until this is actually released and working. Who knows how long this will take and whether it will work with current model S3XY.

No need to spend/order/do anything until Tesla has sold to customers active/working stuff. Tesla may do it for all cars I think if they feel the competition all offer this, but they don't, so that's not really the case yet. There is also the unknown when the Cybertruck would even be widely owned.

I've only seen Ford offer a working/live solution outside of the minimal systems done by the Korean brands (not made for whole house backup).

Watching V2H/V2G developments with Enphase, I'd really suggest people hold off on buying anything/expecting anything until this is actually released and working. Who knows how long this will take and whether it will work with current model S3XY.

No need to spend/order/do anything until Tesla has sold to customers active/working stuff. Tesla may do it for all cars I think if they feel the competition all offer this, but they don't, so that's not really the case yet. There is also the unknown when the Cybertruck would even be widely owned.

I've only seen Ford offer a working/live solution outside of the minimal systems done by the Korean brands (not made for whole house backup).
Knowing Tesla. This will take a while.

Reactions: jhn_

Agreed. What looks interesting is a "Powershare Mobile Connector" included in the Foundation Series.

1701724915194.png

Also. The Tesla Website and app for the store. Has been down all day. I’ve been trying to make a purchase. I used 3 different phones. I had a coworker. Same issue. Tesla must be updating the website.

The setup states two components: Gateway and the connector.

My understanding is the connector simply is a conduit that supports both AC and DC currents from point A-B

The key is the GATEWAY - which is the switch AND Inverter for Tesla Powerwall and doing the heavy lifting.

In the case of Powershare - it looks like it's leveraging the Gateway to do the DC>AC conversion

So if this is case:
1. Connector -- shouldn't matter --- whether universal or standard or any connector for that matter. It's just that --- a connector' not doing any specific function

2. Bi-directional capability older Teslas -- what Exactly is needed if truly DC discharge back through the chargeport other than software code to allow for discharge through the port? No special hardware needed if the GATEWAY is doing the inverting.

That's the primary confusion that I want to be cleared up.

The setup states two components: Gateway and the connector.

My understanding is the connector simply is a conduit that supports both AC and DC currents from point A-B

The key is the GATEWAY - which is the switch AND Inverter for Tesla Powerwall and doing the heavy lifting.

In the case of Powershare - it looks like it's leveraging the Gateway to do the DC>AC conversion

So if this is case:
1. Connector -- shouldn't matter --- whether universal or standard or any connector for that matter. It's just that --- a connector' not doing any specific function

2. Bi-directional capability older Teslas -- what Exactly is needed if truly DC discharge back through the chargeport other than software code to allow for discharge through the port? No special hardware needed if the GATEWAY is doing the inverting.

That's the primary confusion that I want to be cleared up.
The vehicle will only output AC because all the connectors (TWC, UMC) are AC only and are connected to the house mains.

The purpose and need for the Gateway is to form a micro-grid when the grid is down so the vehicle inverter can sync up to it. And the Gateway will use the Powerwall's inverters to balance the load. The vehicle output is balanced 240V AC because there is no neutral, but house loads are primarily 120V AC with neutral, so the total house load must be balanced by the Gateway/Powerwall.

Nope, no inverter in the gateway.

Nope, gateway only handles the switching, and the Powershare one handles creating the neutral.
2. Bi-directional capability older Teslas -- what Exactly is needed if truly DC discharge back through the chargeport
Not DC based, the charger in the car has to be able to be reversed and output AC.

The vehicle will only output AC because all the connectors (TWC, UMC) are AC only and are connected to the house mains.

The purpose and need for the Gateway is to form a micro-grid when the grid is down so the vehicle inverter can sync up to it. And the Gateway will use the Powerwall's inverters to balance the load. The vehicle output is balanced 240V AC because there is no neutral, but house loads are primarily 120V AC with neutral, so the total house load must be balanced by the Gateway/Powerwall.
Yes

Reactions: montreid
Why not? The Powershare specs say the Powershare Mobile Connector can be used to add outlets in addition to the ones built-in.

My guess is that it is bidirectional and can be used to charge as well as provide power out of the vehicle. (With appropriate adapters.)
Thanks for clarifying the PowerShare mobile connector. I wasn’t sure about its purpose. I haven’t seen any photos of it.

I have to assume that the Powershare Gateway and/or Universal Wall Connector have to have a battery in them to allow for a "dark" start. My guess is that you have to have additional wiring between the Powershare Gateway and the Universal Wall Connector. (Compared to the setup with a Powerwall.)