Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bed Mount Generator for Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the Cybertruck can charge while driving? An option will be available for a bed mount battery back range extender. I assume this becomes an "extension" of the battery capacity. However, with bed mount outlets and Powershare, is it possible to charge and drive at same time? Bed mount honda generator range extender while driving OR, using the truck as a big inverter. Solar is charging the truck, which is powering the house. Or, truck is plugged in and charging while the bed is outputting power at a campsite. Wondering what charging/powershare options are available. Tesla said you could charge your Cyberquad in the bed while driving, but could you do it in reverse? This would open up the possibility to drain your Cyberquad battery after a day on the trails to give you extra battery capacity on the way back home. Or, trailers designed with batteries on board for extra range. Why have a extension pack in the truck bed when you could fit a battery pack on a toolbox on an equipment trailer equipped with solar panels to charge at the jobsite? Imagine an enclosed 20' trailer with panels on the roof and a battery pack in side with your other tools/saws/equipment.

Does anyone know if the Cybertruck can charge while driving? An option will be available for a bed mount battery back range extender. I assume this becomes an "extension" of the battery capacity. However, with bed mount outlets and Powershare, is it possible to charge and drive at same time? Bed mount honda generator range extender while driving OR, using the truck as a big inverter. Solar is charging the truck, which is powering the house. Or, truck is plugged in and charging while the bed is outputting power at a campsite. Wondering what charging/powershare options are available. Tesla said you could charge your Cyberquad in the bed while driving, but could you do it in reverse? This would open up the possibility to drain your Cyberquad battery after a day on the trails to give you extra battery capacity on the way back home. Or, trailers designed with batteries on board for extra range. Why have a extension pack in the truck bed when you could fit a battery pack on a toolbox on an equipment trailer equipped with solar panels to charge at the jobsite? Imagine an enclosed 20' trailer with panels on the roof and a battery pack in side with your other tools/saws/equipment.

In assuming at this point it would be more cost effective to just buy an ICE truck.

In assuming at this point it would be more cost effective to just buy an ICE truck.
Base range of 340 miles is perfectly adequate for me for 99% of my use. I have ZERO interest in an ICE truck. The bed mount generator would simply be for long haul trips or towing a trailer into areas where the supercharger is not present in upstate PA. I already own a generator, so it would be cost effective vs purchasing a battery range extension pack for the bed (unless I can remove that myself and add it to my Powerwall setup as an extension).

Does anyone know if the Cybertruck can charge while driving? An option will be available for a bed mount battery back range extender. I assume this becomes an "extension" of the battery capacity. However, with bed mount outlets and Powershare, is it possible to charge and drive at same time? Bed mount honda generator range extender while driving OR, using the truck as a big inverter. Solar is charging the truck, which is powering the house. Or, truck is plugged in and charging while the bed is outputting power at a campsite. Wondering what charging/powershare options are available. Tesla said you could charge your Cyberquad in the bed while driving, but could you do it in reverse? This would open up the possibility to drain your Cyberquad battery after a day on the trails to give you extra battery capacity on the way back home. Or, trailers designed with batteries on board for extra range. Why have an extension pack in the truck bed when you could fit a battery pack on a toolbox on an equipment trailer equipped with solar panels to charge at the jobsite? Imagine an enclosed 20' trailer with panels on the roof and a battery pack in side with your other tools/saws/equipment.
It would take a 240v generator to make a difference. Of course, you’d have to listen the generator while driving. You would need to override the disable vehicle when charging feature.

Maybe tow a generator with a cord to your charging port on those long trips? 😂

IMG_1331.jpeg

Last edited:
Base range of 340 miles is perfectly adequate for me for 99% of my use. I have ZERO interest in an ICE truck. The bed mount generator would simply be for long haul trips or towing a trailer into areas where the supercharger is not present in upstate PA. I already own a generator, so it would be cost effective vs purchasing a battery range extension pack for the bed (unless I can remove that myself and add it to my Powerwall setup as an extension).

Why ZERO interest in an ICE Truck? Doesn’t make sense.

Any weight to the bed reduced that 340 miles of range, plus your charging to 90% effectively your looking at less that 300 miles of range. Add towing maybe 150?

Teslas can not charge while driving at this time.

And Charging off a generator takes forever. For the CT looking at 1 mile every 2 hours off a 120v. Heck even off that ($20,000) 240v posted above you would only get ~20-30 miles per hour plugged in.

I’ve charged my model 3 off my generators as a test. I get 1-2 miles for an hour with my 2k Yamaha and 10-12 miles per hour with my diesel 11k.

Teslas can not charge while driving at this time.

And Charging off a generator takes forever. For the CT looking at 1 mile every 2 hours off a 120v. Heck even off that ($20,000) 240v posted above you would only get ~20-30 miles per hour plugged in.

I’ve charged my model 3 off my generators as a test. I get 1-2 miles for an hour with my 2k Yamaha and 10-12 miles per hour with my diesel 11k.
Good data, thanks.

Why ZERO interest in an ICE Truck? Doesn’t make sense.

Any weight to the bed reduced that 340 miles of range, plus your charging to 90% effectively your looking at less that 300 miles of range. Add towing maybe 150?
Why? I have a Cummins Diesel swapped vintage Jeep Pickup Truck. I have a Gasoline Jeep. I had a Tesla Model 3 before trading it on a Model Y. I will NEVER buy a new ICE vehicle again. Electric is superior. The faster I can sell the Gasoline Jeep for the Cybertruck, the better. Ideally I'd like more range, only when necessary and the unknown charging/powershare capabilties of the Cybertruck intrigue me.

It would take a 240v generator to make a difference. Of course, you’d have to listen the generator while driving. You would need to override the disable vehicle when charging feature.

Maybe tow a generator with a cord to your charging port on those long trips? 😂

View attachment 996297
This would be most comical. The reason I haven't purchased a Rivian is because of the Tesla supercharging network, and the fact that I believe the Cybertruck offers superior capability and ruggedness. I am merely curious as to what the Cybertruck is capable of charging wise while being mobile. If it is like our Model Y, this won't be possible.

I look forward to trailer modularity with built in battery packs for extended range built right into the gooseneck/floor of the trailer. If airstream or another manufacturer can build a camper with built in battery which extends the range of the towing, it can be recharged at the campsite if service is available. Get rid of the propane and start building them with battery and solar to act as an energy source, and range extension pack. When the camper is parked at home during the week it can act as a V2H pack, increasing your Powerwall capacity.

I have a 30kwh solar array on my barn powering the farm. I could reduce my 4 Powerwall order to merely 1 with a gateway and use the Cybertruck and camper as additional capacity. I can produce all the power I need. I only need a source to store it and transport it as needed.

Why? I have a Cummins Diesel swapped vintage Jeep Pickup Truck. I have a Gasoline Jeep. I had a Tesla Model 3 before trading it on a Model Y. I will NEVER buy a new ICE vehicle again. Electric is superior. The faster I can sell the Gasoline Jeep for the Cybertruck, the better. Ideally I'd like more range, only when necessary and the unknown charging/powershare capabilties of the Cybertruck intrigue me.

Unfortunately in your scenario electric is not superior. You are going to end up spending more instead of just buying a cheap Truck with a V8, throwing a Supercharger on it all for under $50K. You'll never catch up to the extra you paid on the Electric truck plus generator, even with maintenance.

Try a Rivian or Lightning while you wait, you might end up liking them more.

Why go ICE when you might be able to get a Dodge 1500 Ramcharger in a few years? Basically the same concept as OP, a range-compromised EV with a range-extending generator onboard, just built-in.

Seems like a not a bad proposition for those with a specific use profile, maybe 98%+ short trips, with the remaining small fraction being longer road trips or towing.

Unfortunately in your scenario electric is not superior. You are going to end up spending more instead of just buying a cheap Truck with a V8, throwing a Supercharger on it all for under $50K. You'll never catch up to the extra you paid on the Electric truck plus generator, even with maintenance.

Try a Rivian or Lightning while you wait, you might end up liking them more.
If I wanted a cheap junk truck that takes yearly maintenance and upkeep, I'd keep my current ICE vehicles. Owning a Tesla Model Y has clearly shown that electric is superior, for my application.

Why go ICE when you might be able to get a Dodge 1500 Ramcharger in a few years? Basically the same concept as OP, a range-compromised EV with a range-extending generator onboard, just built-in.

Seems like a not a bad proposition for those with a specific use profile, maybe 98%+ short trips, with the remaining small fraction being longer road trips or towing.
I really dislike the thought of a built in gas generator. Seldom used, extra weight, needs maintained. My thought process is if I absolutely need a range extender, CAN I rent or borrow a gas generator to put in the bed? This would be less than ideal Simply wondering if it can be done. I'd much prefer a portable battery back that can be removed and used for added capacity to a Powerwall setup.

I really dislike the thought of a built in gas generator. Seldom used, extra weight, needs maintained. My thought process is if I absolutely need a range extender, CAN I rent or borrow a gas generator to put in the bed? This would be less than ideal Simply wondering if it can be done. I'd much prefer a portable battery back that can be removed and used for added capacity to a Powerwall setup.

Some benefits though for the added weight/maintenance - 130kw onboard generator - (that's 130kw, not 13kw "portable" generator weighing 400 lbs itself), larger gasoline tank (which you don't need to carry around the gas and weight unless you'll need it), actual emission controls (for those who care). Portable generator would not charge fast enough to actually continue driving once the battery is empty, you'd have to basically overnight it, while 130kw would allow going a full 600+ miles without stopping.

Understood, it's not everyone's cup of tea though... plus no pricing yet either

The reason why Tesla disables driving while charging is to keep drivers from damaging charging stations by driving off while still plugged in. Obviously, the Cybertruck’s range extender battery does not connect via the charging port. If one can connect a generator using whatever port the range extender uses, then one should be good to go, unless the range extender has some sort of digital signature.

Anyway, the guy who installed a small generator in the back of his Model S (video several posts above) found a way to connect it. Probably the same thing is possible with Cybertruck, though it might not be simple or easy.

I don’t plan to install a generator in a Tesla but, if I ever were to, I would use propane. It‘s stable (doesn’t degrade like gasoline or diesel) and works great at all atmospheric temperatures. Propane is also cheaper and cleaner than gasoline or diesel. A standard 120 gallon semi-portable tank would give phenomenal range.

The reason why Tesla disables driving while charging is to keep drivers from damaging charging stations by driving off while still plugged in. Obviously, the Cybertruck’s range extender battery does not connect via the charging port. If one can connect a generator using whatever port the range extender uses, then one should be good to go, unless the range extender has some sort of digital signature.

Anyway, the guy who installed a small generator in the back of his Model S (video several posts above) found a way to connect it. Probably the same thing is possible with Cybertruck, though it might not be simple or easy.

I don’t plan to install a generator in a Tesla but, if I ever were to, I would use propane. It‘s stable (doesn’t degrade like gasoline or diesel) and works great at all atmospheric temperatures. Propane is also cheaper and cleaner than gasoline or diesel. A standard 120 gallon semi-portable tank would give phenomenal range.
A 120 gallon tank running a 240w 9k generator would run for ~35-40 hours and get you ~280-300 miles range in the CT over that time period. Also in my expense hooking my model 3 up to my 2k Yamaha and 12k diesel general. Both had to be ground out for the Tesla to charge.