Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the app I have told it to connect to my wifi and that is the IP assigned to it. With multiple PW3, one is the primary and the others listen to it, apparently, although initially all three were connected to my wifi but the middle one stopped connecting soon after. I then used the app to change from my g=uest network to my regular network and only the primary changed over, the third one is still on my guest network.

When browing to the IP I get the unsigned cert error and after bypassing I get a 404 page.

These PWs are showing at TeslaPW_xxxxx network and when I conected I ahve the same issue of bypassing the cert then just a 404 page.
So I also just got 3 x PW3’s installed recently and after install I was also having an issue with one of them. On the install the installers couldn’t get one of them online. They spent about 4 hrs talking with the engineers at the teir 3 tech support trying to get it online to no avail. As you mentioned, they are so new, and different from the other versions, that the stuff I find online doesn’t work. I can confirm that you can’t connect to the “gateway” like the other versions. I was even talking to tech support and she was trying to walk me though the normal PW2 steps to connect to It until I told her that doesn’t work and she finally said, oh, it looks like they took that away with the PW3. When they came back out a few days later, the guys said the 3rd unit connected when they turned it on without them really doing anything. Couple days later it dropped off online again. Had to call again and got another appointment for them to come out but a day later it connected again on It’s own. All 3 have been online for about a week now. As you mentioned, I only see 2 of them on my network, never seen all 3 as devices connected to my network(although I can see the SSID that each of the 3 send out separately).

On your My Home page does it say you have 2 or 3 powerwalls? At first I was only showing 2, after they finally got the 3rd one online the app showed 3. However, when it dropped off, the app still showed 3 but the Tesla logo on the 3rd one wasn’t on and I could tell I was losing energy faster than it should be if 3 were actually connected. If you call the support line, they can tell if 2 or 3 are online. I also have home automation software using home assistant which has a tesla integration and it shows me the total energy available so it‘s easy to tell if its 2 or 3 as they are about 13.5 kWh each.

So, just had 3x Powerwall 3 installed yesterday with backup switch and solor, and I think one might not be working correctly.

Installers said I was one of the first to get the pw3. I am not an employee, just placed an order for solar and Powerwall 2 months ago and this is what they gave me in Austin.

2 of them are showing on my WiFi and the third one stopped after about 1-2 hours. None of the info online about connecting directly to a pw directly to get info works. When opening 192.168.9.1, I bypass the cert error then just get error 404.

I had a very short burst of generation after they turned them on and the batteries charged from 19-32% before the sun went down. Most of that was done shortly after turn on then the generation dropped drastically with complete sun and temp of high 70s.

Apparently these are on right away and all the PTO is done remotely (although there is a button in the app to turn on). This means that for everything but exporting I should be good to go.

Testing off grid mode last night with 32% I set my reserve to 22% and using 1-1.5kw of power said my estimated time was 2-3 hours which seems low.

The middle power wall seems to make a click sound like a relay turning on or off now and then and sometimes flashes red.

You can see a green light on 1 and 3 at night and something very faint on 2 but looks like a different led that just happens to be shining through partly.

I could tell the installers kept going back to pw2 but I am. It sure why. With the low run time estimate I am wondering if pw2 just is not actually charging or booting correctly.

There is no reboot or reset switch, there is no documentation and nothing on the interwebs about pw3. And of course today is cloudy but I am only generating .7-1kw of energy with a 13.5kw system, which seems low. Each pw has 11 panels with number 3 having a string of 9 and a string of 2.

If I push the off switch for 2 and 3 the generation and Powerwall percentage does not change.

So besides possible issue with number 2, when I go to off grid mode lights flicker or flash constantly running on the batteries. Does not seem to happen if on grid and using batteries.

I did charge the pw to 50% last night using the grid and tried off grid this morning with same result and lower than expected remaining time.

Will let you know more and I will be reaching out to support but just thought I would share. New heart here.

Jerry
The reset that they were having me do was to turn the switch on each of the PW units off, then turn off the breakers for each of the units, wait 5 minutes and turn breakers back on and then turn the switches on the units back on. It didn’t initially do anything, but I would later leave the switch of the malfunction unit off (like overnight). After I turned the switch back on in the morning, it connected on it’s own.

Reactions: Docfxit
So, just had 3x Powerwall 3 installed yesterday with backup switch and solor, and I think one might not be working correctly.

Installers said I was one of the first to get the pw3. I am not an employee, just placed an order for solar and Powerwall 2 months ago and this is what they gave me in Austin.

2 of them are showing on my WiFi and the third one stopped after about 1-2 hours. None of the info online about connecting directly to a pw directly to get info works. When opening 192.168.9.1, I bypass the cert error then just get error 404.

I had a very short burst of generation after they turned them on and the batteries charged from 19-32% before the sun went down. Most of that was done shortly after turn on then the generation dropped drastically with complete sun and temp of high 70s.

Apparently these are on right away and all the PTO is done remotely (although there is a button in the app to turn on). This means that for everything but exporting I should be good to go.

Testing off grid mode last night with 32% I set my reserve to 22% and using 1-1.5kw of power said my estimated time was 2-3 hours which seems low.

The middle power wall seems to make a click sound like a relay turning on or off now and then and sometimes flashes red.

You can see a green light on 1 and 3 at night and something very faint on 2 but looks like a different led that just happens to be shining through partly.

I could tell the installers kept going back to pw2 but I am. It sure why. With the low run time estimate I am wondering if pw2 just is not actually charging or booting correctly.

There is no reboot or reset switch, there is no documentation and nothing on the interwebs about pw3. And of course today is cloudy but I am only generating .7-1kw of energy with a 13.5kw system, which seems low. Each pw has 11 panels with number 3 having a string of 9 and a string of 2.

If I push the off switch for 2 and 3 the generation and Powerwall percentage does not change.

So besides possible issue with number 2, when I go to off grid mode lights flicker or flash constantly running on the batteries. Does not seem to happen if on grid and using batteries.

I did charge the pw to 50% last night using the grid and tried off grid this morning with same result and lower than expected remaining time.

Will let you know more and I will be reaching out to support but just thought I would share. New heart here.

Jerry
The estimate from 32% - 22% seems right for 2 PWs. 10% of 2 (13.5 each) is around 2.7kwh, using 1-1.5 per hr is 2-3 hrs

Unfortunate that PW3s aren’t accessible, although it might just be that the API has changed. Have either of you tried the Tesla Pros app to get access to the device?
So I just tried the Tesla Pros app and I can access the system with that app. It has a couple alerts about Battery expansion CAN termination issue that I guess I’ll ask about when they come out later this week. Networking section says one (the one I don’t see on my network) can’t connect to the network.

What limitations are you worried about?
So I also just got 3 x PW3’s installed recently and after install I was also having an issue with one of them. On the install the installers couldn’t get one of them online. They spent about 4 hrs talking with the engineers at the teir 3 tech support trying to get it online to no avail. As you mentioned, they are so new, and different from the other versions, that the stuff I find online doesn’t work. I can confirm that you can’t connect to the “gateway” like the other versions. I was even talking to tech support and she was trying to walk me though the normal PW2 steps to connect to It until I told her that doesn’t work and she finally said, oh, it looks like they took that away with the PW3. When they came back out a few days later, the guys said the 3rd unit connected when they turned it on without them really doing anything. Couple days later it dropped off online again. Had to call again and got another appointment for them to come out but a day later it connected again on It’s own. All 3 have been online for about a week now. As you mentioned, I only see 2 of them on my network, never seen all 3 as devices connected to my network(although I can see the SSID that each of the 3 send out separately).

On your My Home page does it say you have 2 or 3 powerwalls? At first I was only showing 2, after they finally got the 3rd one online the app showed 3. However, when it dropped off, the app still showed 3 but the Tesla logo on the 3rd one wasn’t on and I could tell I was losing energy faster than it should be if 3 were actually connected. If you call the support line, they can tell if 2 or 3 are online. I also have home automation software using home assistant which has a tesla integration and it shows me the total energy available so it‘s easy to tell if its 2 or 3 as they are about 13.5 kWh each.
I have Home Assistant but I can't figure out what password to use. I entered the IP of the primary PW on my network. What password did you use? My Home page shows x3 powerwalls. But I am sure only 1 is working right now as far as the graphs show (alothough still missing or not reporting correct numbers).

The reset that they were having me do was to turn the switch on each of the PW units off, then turn off the breakers for each of the units, wait 5 minutes and turn breakers back on and then turn the switches on the units back on. It didn’t initially do anything, but I would later leave the switch of the malfunction unit off (like overnight). After I turned the switch back on in the morning, it connected on it’s own.
I will try turning off 2 tonight. What number are you using to call them for support? I get no info in the app.

So I just tried the Tesla Pros app and I can access the system with that app. It has a couple alerts about Battery expansion CAN termination issue that I guess I’ll ask about when they come out later this week. Networking section says one (the one I don’t see on my network) can’t connect to the network.
Just tried this app. Signed in with my Tesla creds, selected Powerwall and entered serial number. Connected to wifi but doe snot seem to retreive device info. Did you choose regular powerwall or inverter?

Attachments

• IMG_0085.PNG
    IMG_0085.PNG
    139 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0087.PNG
    IMG_0087.PNG
    194 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0086.PNG
    IMG_0086.PNG
    190.7 KB · Views: 37
Just tried this app. Signed in with my Tesla creds, selected Powerwall and entered serial number. Connected to wifi but doe snot seem to retreive device info. Did you choose regular powerwall or inverter?
For home assistant I’m using the Tesla Custom Integration that I installed with HACS and you just use your normal tesla credentials to log in.

For Tesla Pros app, I chose external user, logged in with my normal Tesla credentials. I think I chose new install and chose scan QR code. It wants to connect to the WiFi signal that the powerwalls are sending out. When I had the front plates off of the powerwalls I took pictures of the QR code/passwords on the sticker and used that when it asked for the QR code, which makes your phone connect to the powerwall WiFi so you need to be somewhat close to it when trying it. FYI, it needs to connect to the controller, which is the one listed in the normal tesla app on the solar page under settings/my home info. If you connect to the non controller, the Tesla pros app will tell you.

And as Offandonagain replied, I think you are right, it seems as only one of your PWs is online. But support(877-961-7652) and the tesla pros app should be able to tell you

Last edited:
I suggest calling Tesla solar support at 877-961-7652 and pressing option 2 for PW support. The last time I checked they were open 24 hours per day.
Yes, that is the number I’ve been using. They aren’t super knowledgable yet on PW3 but they seem happy to be getting an opportunity to learn about it.

For home assistant I’m using the Tesla Custom Integration that I installed with HACS and you just use your normal tesla credentials to log in.

For Tesla Pros app, I chose external user, logged in with my normal Tesla credentials. I think I chose new install and chose scan QR code. It wants to connect to the WiFi signal that the powerwalls are sending out. When I had the front plates off of the powerwalls I took pictures of the QR code/passwords on the sticker and used that when it asked for the QR code, which makes your phone connect to the powerwall WiFi so you need to be somewhat close to it when trying it. FYI, it needs to connect to the controller, which is the one listed in the normal tesla app on the solar page under settings/my home info. If you connect to the non controller, the Tesla pros app will tell you.
Thank you. I was able to connect with the Tesla pros app! 2 show unable to read data and “check CAN wiring”.

Thank you. I was able to connect with the Tesla pros app! 2 show unable to read data and “check CAN wiring”.
I also have an alert about the CAN wiring. As mentioned, I believe the support number is 24hrs. I suspect they with have you do the “reset“ method I mentioned earlier but after that they will probably work to set up a service call for them to come out. But hopefully if you leave the other 2 off tonight and turn them back on tomorrow maybe they will magically connect on their own like mine seemed to do.

Reactions: jesaf00 and Docfxit
I also have an alert about the CAN wiring. As mentioned, I believe the support number is 24hrs. I suspect they with have you do the “reset“ method I mentioned earlier but after that they will probably work to set up a service call for them to come out. But hopefully if you leave the other 2 off tonight and turn them back on tomorrow maybe they will magically connect on their own like mine seemed to do.
Thanks again. I flipped the switch and breakers on #2 and #3 and will leave it till morning. The light is still on on #3 and i flipped the switch an hour ago. #2 light is never on.

Thanks again. I flipped the switch and breakers on #2 and #3 and will leave it till morning. The light is still on on #3 and i flipped the switch an hour ago. #2 light is never on.
Yeah the lights on mine didn’t go out with the switch off also. I don’t think they even went out with the breakers off either. Obviously there is a battery there so maybe that’s why. The light does flash red for a few seconds though and there is eventually a clicking sound so I can tell something is happening.

Yeah the lights on mine didn’t go out with the switch off also. I don’t think they even went out with the breakers off either. Obviously there is a battery there so maybe that’s why. The light does flash red for a few seconds though and there is eventually a clicking sound so I can tell something is happening.
The 2 seemed to be off this morning so fully rest, I guess. I turned them back on and same thing. Also, I got an email saying my system passed inspection….wtf? I called support and they are creating a case for level 2.

Appreciate all the help and tips in here!

The 2 seemed to be off this morning so fully rest, I guess. I turned them back on and same thing. Also, I got an email saying my system passed inspection….wtf? I called support and they are creating a case for level 2.

Appreciate all the help and tips in here!
@jesaf00, I was messing around in Tesla Pros app and on the networking tab that shows 3 options( WiFi, Ethernet, and Cellular), I touched on the cellular part and it didn’t seem like it did anything but after looking at other stuff I went back to the networking tab and cellular was checked instead of WiFi. Coincidentally, my error message about the CAN wiring/ unable to read data went away and all 3 PW have a check next to them, where as before only the main one did. Not sure if changing it to cellular did anything but I’m back with the WiFi checked and they are all still showing green. Might be worth giving it a try.