Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distance between all superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My biggest gripe is still the 315 mile gap between the Bend Oregon and Boise Idaho Superchargers. The "covered" route that uses reasonably spaced Superchargers is very out of the way at 478 miles.

On that route, we start out 60 miles closer to Bend from Payette ID instead of Boise. There's a hefty elevation gain between Payette (or Boise) and Burns that really saps the mileage. Even from Payette, we still needed to charge between Payette and Bend to make it to Bend.
The solution for the time being is a free L2 charger at the Harney County Chamber of Commerce in Burns. It is a non-Tesla J1772 charger with the usual J1772 to Tesla adapter. Interestingly enough, somebody slapped a Tesla logo sticker on the charger. It charged our Model 3 at about 38 miles/hour. There's also a 14-50 outlet. The one full-time lady staffing the Harney County CofC says they are lucky to see one or two EVs a week, and it's always a Tesla.

Burns is a friendly, interesting little town and we happily spent a couple hours there having lunch and window shopping. For a little podunk town, it has a large kitchen store that my wife loves. A 2- or 4-stall Supercharger in Burns would be great!

Reactions: Rocky_H
What's funny is that there is only 1 super charger with 8 stalls in Austin, TX. Austin, TX is ranked number 14 as most teslas per capita. Although they have a permit pending but its been pending for 150 days.

Similar situation for Seattle and Bellevue Washington. I believe this area is too 5 for Teslas per capita. We have zero superchargers in Seattle or Bellevue. The closest one is about 7 miles east of Bellevue and 17 miles east of Seattle. I think the original model was to locate them on road trip routes. They now have permits pending in Seattle and Bellevue but it’s been awhile.

If you really wanted to know, you could use mapping software to do it.
The only thing to watch out for is that the maps sometimes see sites as being on Interstates instead of just off it so you have to use alternative locations..

Before Google Maps changed their maps policy, I was using it to determine neighbors, where neighbors are a pair of Superchargers where the Google-fastest route between the two didn't have another Supercharger with a diversion within preset limits.

Similar situation for Seattle and Bellevue Washington. I believe this area is too 5 for Teslas per capita. We have zero superchargers in Seattle or Bellevue. The closest one is about 7 miles east of Bellevue and 17 miles east of Seattle. I think the original model was to locate them on road trip routes. They now have permits pending in Seattle and Bellevue but it’s been awhile.

You've also got a SC in Lynnwood, not too far north of Seattle. I lived near that location for about 15 years, long before Tesla motorcars existed. Land/space for a SC or for anything else is at such a premium in Seattle & Bellevue proper.

My two gripes are nothing between Amarillo, Tx and Trinidad, Col. Not a big highway but necessary to go from Tx to Col.
One in Wichita Falls would make sense too.

Ditto that for getting from ABQ to Temple TX. The only reasonable way, without going far out of the shortest path, is to use a couple of L2 chargers enroute, which are also in short supply and possibly undependable.

On that route, we start out 60 miles closer to Bend from Payette ID instead of Boise. There's a hefty elevation gain between Payette (or Boise) and Burns that really saps the mileage. Even from Payette, we still needed to charge between Payette and Bend to make it to Bend.
The solution for the time being is a free L2 charger at the Harney County Chamber of Commerce in Burns. It is a non-Tesla J1772 charger with the usual J1772 to Tesla adapter. Interestingly enough, somebody slapped a Tesla logo sticker on the charger. It charged our Model 3 at about 38 miles/hour. There's also a 14-50 outlet.
That 60 miles shorter makes a big difference. My car just has the old 40A charger. At commercial sites, that have 208V, that's about 25ish miles per hour charging rate. If you look at approximately 50 mph driving versus 25 mph charging, that's a painful 2X the charging time versus driving time if you have to supplement to get across gaps like this. I can do about an hour or a little over on a route just planning to make it a lunch break to still seem reasonable. I've done that going Boise to Winnemucca. But for me to go through Burns and use that charging works out to about 3.5 hours of slow charging there, and that is definitely over the boring/inconvenient threshold.

The one full-time lady staffing the Harney County CofC says they are lucky to see one or two EVs a week, and it's always a Tesla.
I have been thinking that it should be eminently reasonable and cheap if Tesla had a battery + Supercharger device. It wouldn't need a large, high voltage utility connection for infrequent use sites like this. It could pull and store 208V at 80A over longer periods of many hours and store that up, and then a couple of times a week, it could boost it and send it into a car as a 72kW Supercharger session for half an hour. And even if you got cars a little closer together, so there wasn't very much stored energy, at least it could send a higher rate using the DC Supercharging protocol than cars with the 32A or 40A or 48A onboard chargers could make use of if they are stuck using AC charging.

I really wish Tesla would install devices like that in smaller places like Burns, OR, or McDermitt, NV or Cascade, ID or Ely, NV. They would be perfect for these.

Reactions: mspohr