Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Chrome Delete with Plasti Dip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool. Thanks for the update. I plan on doing my red Model 3 when it arrives (9/28). Would you mind posting a few pics of the mirrors folded, so we can see the area that's not covered yet? A close up or two would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Sure, here you go! :)

20180909_190034-01-01.jpeg

Can someone advise as to the taking technique for the inner frame trim(below top trim and above bottom trim in the window section ).

I've taken a couple passes and I'm having a hard time obtaining straight lines because of the rubber between the window and the trim.

Referring to the window trim inner frame / where the glass tucks under the door when closed. I've done it twice now - first time I tried to tape on to the window rubber and the 2nd I left a 1 inch gap same as above the window trim. However, both times I'm having a hard time with the dip separating nicely from the window trim and the window rubber. See attached (zoom in)

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190416_142312.jpg
    MVIMG_20190416_142312.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 198
Referring to the window trim inner frame / where the glass tucks under the door when closed. I've done it twice now - first time I tried to tape on to the window rubber and the 2nd I left a 1 inch gap same as above the window trim. However, both times I'm having a hard time with the dip separating nicely from the window trim and the window rubber. See attached (zoom in)
I used this video as a guide:

I did have to do multiple rounds of touch-up though. The window rubber part is tricky, you have to be very exact with your taping.

What was your procedure for touch up ?
I actually messed up and made things worse a few times before I refined my technique. You can't use masking tape directly on an area with existing dip, because when you spray new dip, it partially melts the existing dip, which gets embedded with the tape edge. So when you go to pull it off later, it tends to pull chunks of dip off with it. So what I do is to use heavy stock paper/cardboard to mask areas I need to touch up, and only tape them to areas of the car with no existing dip. And if it's a small enough area, I just cut an appropriate sized hole in a large piece of stock paper/cardboard, then hold it over the area with one hand and spray through the hole with the other (careful not to touch the surface being sprayed). Some overspray will be inevitable with this method, but can be easily rubbed off with a microfiber towel afterwards.