Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hypershift on your Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DukeofURL

Apr 1, 2016
North NJ
I promised my wife a fun color for her MYLR, but upon seeing what wrap jobs were running these days, I decided to go with dipping instead (plus we can do another color more easily in 2-3 yrs when the car is ready for a new coat). Set up a tent in the back yard and went to town, haha. Also did Dip Armor over it which gives it a sleeker, more paint-like feel and a little more protection. It's been a few weeks since I did it and it's been holding up. Was my first full-car dip job (I've done wheels and emblems before, though). Took about 12 hours in total, and while it's not perfect I think it came out pretty cool! I still have yet to get around to dipping the wheels black, but that'll happen when I have some more free time.

This particular one is ZTG hypershift. I can post more pics of the process if people are interested, but I'd like to see if anyone else has any fun colors they've done!
IMG_2664.jpg

@yeslak’s looks to be a different, more deeper green.
That's what I thought but some of those shifting colors can do some dramatically different things depending on lighting conditions. Top photo is outside in direct sunlight and bottom photos are indoors under artificial light. Those two lighting conditions would produce the wide ends the spectrum of colors is why I ask. I'd still likely clarification from the two posters as to what specific color they used for those to know if it's the same or different. It looks like there's many options these days from DipYourCar so knowing what color those are would be helpful to others considering a similar mod.

Reactions: DukeofURL
I promised my wife a fun color for her MYLR, but upon seeing what wrap jobs were running these days, I decided to go with dipping instead (plus we can do another color more easily in 2-3 yrs when the car is ready for a new coat). Set up a tent in the back yard and went to town, haha. Also did Dip Armor over it which gives it a sleeker, more paint-like feel and a little more protection. It's been a few weeks since I did it and it's been holding up. Was my first full-car dip job (I've done wheels and emblems before, though). Took about 12 hours in total, and while it's not perfect I think it came out pretty cool! I still have yet to get around to dipping the wheels black, but that'll happen when I have some more free time.

This particular one is ZTG hypershift. I can post more pics of the process if people are interested, but I'd like to see if anyone else has any fun colors they've done!
View attachment 944753
That transition to blue at the back of the car is really beautiful. Nice work!

• Love
Looks good in pix. Nice work. I dipped a car once, use the DYC sprayer and I was very happy with the result. One of the worst aspects of dip is that it disolves with most petroleum based solvents, including gasoline, so dripping a little gas a fill up would instantly damage it. That's not an issue for an EV!

View attachment 944753
simply stunning, great job.

• Love
The video above says it is gasoline resistant. Is it, or not?
Looks like the OP sprayed it with dip armor also, which is supposed to be gasoline resistant. That's a newer product I haven't used previously.

Plasti Dip® is a solvent based coating and does not hold up to exposure to gasoline. Please be careful when filling your tank or working with gasoline around a dipped surface. However - DipArmor™ Advanced TopCoat is now available which is gasoline resistant. If you want a vehicle surface that is resistant to gasoline and other chemicals, be sure to utilize DipArmor™

Reactions: zoomer0056
Indeed, DipArmor is almost like an epoxy sealer that goes over the top of the other layers and gives it sort of a protective shell. Obviously not as protective as PPF but it has a more paint-like feel and a bit more of a shine, plus you can ceramic coat it if you want to get even closer to a gloss (which, tbh if that's what you're looking for, you're better off using real paint hahaha).

Indeed, DipArmor is almost like an epoxy sealer that goes over the top of the other layers and gives it sort of a protective shell. Obviously not as protective as PPF but it has a more paint-like feel and a bit more of a shine, plus you can ceramic coat it if you want to get even closer to a gloss (which, tbh if that's what you're looking for, you're better off using real paint hahaha).
Is this process meant to be a short term color change? How long, normal wear and tear, does it last?