Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Curb Rash repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Denver
So after warning the wife 100x times to be extra careful parking because the rims are prone to curb rash, she went ahead and rashed our rims right up on her second drive.

To be fair, Tesla probably deserves some of the blame for this design but... has anyone found a good DIY solution to repairing the 19” sport rims. I read that you could get some Ford touch up paint for the 18” alloys but haven’t seen any suggestions for the 19”

Trying to gauge if I should just bite the bullet and pay for a repair which I’m being quoted for $160+tax.

Any ideas

Attachments

• 2D6DAD3C-6912-4A08-8740-755F7CAADD15.jpeg
    2D6DAD3C-6912-4A08-8740-755F7CAADD15.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 274
So after warning the wife 100x times to be extra careful parking because the rims are prone to curb rash, she went ahead and rashed our rims right up on her second drive.

To be fair, Tesla probably deserves some of the blame for this design but... has anyone found a good DIY solution to repairing the 19” sport rims. I read that you could get some Ford touch up paint for the 18” alloys but haven’t seen any suggestions for the 19”

Trying to gauge if I should just bite the bullet and pay for a repair which I’m being quoted for $160+tax.

Any ideas

Shop around, I'm in NY, land of everything costing more than the rest of the country (aside from SoCal) and it was $175 for them to come to me to repair, or $100 for me to go to them. I had similar work done and I cant even tell it was rashed now.

Shop around, I'm in NY, land of everything costing more than the rest of the country (aside from SoCal) and it was $175 for them to come to me to repair, or $100 for me to go to them. I had similar work done and I cant even tell it was rashed now.
I'm going to get additional quotes but is the consensus that it's not worth trying to fix on your own?

Just trying to weigh the options...

Probably easy to fix with a dremel and couple of sanding attachments. The trick is finding a matching touchup color. The pros will spray the touchup paint where you might just brush it. I had a pro do rash that went around the entire rim on a 22" and it was only $100 with me going to his location. Also, might be time for a new wife, JK. My wife said her car was making a funny noise and drove home with this. Sometimes you cannot win.
20190915_101155.jpg

Any ideas
Don't do anything. It will happen again.

Probably easy to fix with a dremel and couple of sanding attachments. The trick is finding a matching touchup color. The pros will spray the touchup paint where you might just brush it. I had a pro do rash that went around the entire rim on a 22" and it was only $100 with me going to his location. Also, might be time for a new wife, JK. My wife said her car was making a funny noise and drove home with this. Sometimes you cannot win.View attachment 456419
Yea I dont think Tesla sells the touch up paint so I doubt i could get something with an exact color match as well.

$100 seems much more reasonable. Does anyone have a cheap tire repair guy/shop in Seattle area they would recommend?

Don't do anything. It will happen again.
My thinking was to get it repaired and then purchase a set of those Rimsavers that go around your rim.

Hopefully, those will get damaged and I can replace them much more easily/ cheaper. At least that is my understanding- does anyone actually have experience with damaging these Rimsavers and knows how well they actually protect the wheel?

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I'm going to get additional quotes but is the consensus that it's not worth trying to fix on your own?

Just trying to weigh the options...

I can say that it was an easy decision and fix for the Aero wheels - just did three of mine today with Ford AFM0360 touch-up paint. I wasn't very careful about prep but it still looks great from 5 feet away and it only took 10 minutes. I won't feel as bad when the wheels inevitably get curbed again :(

Looks like PMSS Starlight Silver is your color for the 19s.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
My thinking was to get it repaired and then purchase a set of those Rimsavers that go around your rim.

I can’t tell by the pictures, but is it an option to skip the repair and just apply the rim savers on top of the scuffed up areas? If the rim savers cover up most of the effected area, this might be an option.

I have the rim savers from abstract ocean and I think they are great.

I have the rim savers from abstract ocean and I think they are great.
Have they been “tested” yet? If so, how have they held up?

... because they made wheels (like any other wheel) that are curbable on a Tesla? o_O
Can’t tell if you’re trolling but if you look at 90% of OEM wheels, the tires are flush or stick out further than the rim. Tesla’s rims stick out further than the tire sidewall so they take the hit right away instead of getting a tire “warning” scrape.

I would have it repaired and be sure to tell Wifey you still lover her:)
Yea she felt super bad about it. I told her that if she hadn’t done it then it would’ve probably been me at some point down the line.

Have they been “tested” yet? If so, how have they held up?

Yep, I tested them all right. I misjudged a curb and ran my front right wheel right into it. The rim saver worked as designed. What was interesting is that the particular ones I have from Abstract Ocean are a two-piece design. You first adhere the track onto the wheel and then push the bumper center part into the track. When the wheel hit the curb, the bumper part had popped out. The wheel was fine and the bumper part snapped right back into the track. I was impressed and recommend the rim savers from AO.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
So I’ve got 3 different estimates and with taxes and fees the price for a repair is $185-275 to repair. It looks like you can buy OEM 19” for ~$375. Obviously, the price of a new rim is more expensive but the repair cost seems very high in comparison to me.

Does anyone have recommendations of shops in Seattle that do this for a little cheaper?

I may end up going DIY but still like the idea of repairing and protecting with some Rimsavers. But the cost is definitely higher than I expected.

So I’ve got 3 different estimates and with taxes and fees the price for a repair is $185-275 to repair. It looks like you can buy OEM 19” for ~$375. Obviously, the price of a new rim is more expensive but the repair cost seems very high in comparison to me.

Does anyone have recommendations of shops in Seattle that do this for a little cheaper?

I may end up going DIY but still like the idea of repairing and protecting with some Rimsavers. But the cost is definitely higher than I expected.
Ouch. For that much I'd almost just buy a used/reconditioned one for around $200 and then try to sell the damaged one for around $100.