Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY PPF installers beware...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I needed to replace some PPF on my wife's car. Bought some 3M Pro Series in bulk from an ebay seller by the name of "avatarkey." I've done my fair share of PPF and could immediately tell this felt thinner than usual when I pulled it out of the package. I had some old film laying around & took some measurements for comparison. Real film is ~8 mils. This is ~6. Pay attention to what you're buying & what you're getting...

IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG

Dunno about you guys, but my ebay experiences lately have been extremely poor... tempted to stop buying stuff there altogether. I'm guessing s/he (un)knowingly sent me some of this stuff? https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066703/

Sent the the seller a message, we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LionXng and KenC
You should try being a seller on eBay these days. They have zero rights. You blink and you will get your money back.

I had a guy buy a radar detector from me recently in a no returns auction, and he put the item wasn't as described because the foam packing didn't meet his expectations, LOL! With eBay, that claim automatically qualified him for a full refund with me paying returning shipping and absolutely nothing I could protest with eBay. eBay won't even talk to sellers anymore. It's all robots that just give the buyer back their money.

The funny thing is the guy never bothered to return the item within the 2 week return window and eBay automatically close the case in my favor and I got to keep the money that they had clawed back from me.

So keep buying on eBay knowing there's no better platform for sellers to get their way.

You should try being a seller on eBay these days. They have zero rights. You blink and you will get your money back.

I had a guy buy a radar detector from me recently in a no returns auction, and he put the item wasn't as described because the foam packing didn't meet his expectations, LOL! With eBay, that claim automatically qualified him for a full refund with me paying returning shipping and absolutely nothing I could protest with eBay. eBay won't even talk to sellers anymore. It's all robots that just give the buyer back their money.

The funny thing is the guy never bothered to return the item within the 2 week return window and eBay automatically close the case in my favor and I got to keep the money that they had clawed back from me.

So keep buying on eBay knowing there's no better platform for sellers to get their way.
I sold a new EGO mower battery for around $250 last summer. The buyer said it wasn't new bc the manufacture date was in 2019. I told the buyer to go to Lowes and pull all the batteries out of the boxes and you will find all sorts of manufacture dates. He didn't respond, left the case open, and never shipped the battery back. I had to wait 90 days or so before eBay would refund my money due to the extended COVID return policy even though the buyer missed the "eBay mandated ship the product back return window" and had no tracking info and wouldn't respond to any messages.

TLDR buyer kept the battery, money stayed on hold, I had neither for 3 months.

Reactions: TBrownTX
100% - You can't even leave negative feedback for a buyer any longer! I hate eBay, but as you say, there's nothing better right now.

Tim
amazon is way better; if you have prime, that is.

with prime, you can actually call a cust svc rep and I've always been able to get a satisfactory resolution by calling them. IMing them is useless; dont waste your time unless its the simplest of problems. else, you need to talk to a human. and it helps if you have a significant purchase history.

even with foreign sellers, I've been able to get a refund from amazon.

I've concluded 2 things about amazon:

1) not the place to work at
2) it IS the place to buy from, iff you have prime

I wont touch ebay unless there is no other choice, and that comes up only once a year or even less.

the mass sellers are present on both platforms, so given that I can call amazon - there's no reason to deal with paypal/ebay anymore.

its kind of funny: amazon is still treating prime customers like they're kings. I think this is how tesla treated their customers in the early early days. it created a great brand buzz and loyalty. now, explore the diffs: today, its more than a decade for tesla (well, two decades if you go back to 2003) and amazon was just a bit before that, roughly 1995 or so.

amazon has been around 25 years and tesla 20 years, roughly. tesla's customer service peaked years ago and now they simply DO NOT CARE about you. not at all. amazon is going to the end of the earth if I call them and tell them the shelf unit wont hold its own weight or that something was missing from a package; they'll refund the amount and sometimes just tell you to keep the item. they really care about repeat customers and we're talking about dollars and 100's of dollars, not $50k and upwards!

tesla needs to take a lesson from amazon. wait, did I just type that?? LOL. but you know what I mean ;)

Reactions: Dolemite