Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY headlight and foglight PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
I was toying with the idea of a frontend PPF for my new Y but ultimately decided that it wasn't worth spending 2k+. Instead, I compromised on DIY PPF for the headlights and foglights. Materials were inexpensive, I think I paid $40 shipped on eBay for 3M film. I spent about 2 hours installing everything today and I could see why shops are charging so much for the work. Would I spend that much? No way, but it's a pain in the ass to work with.

I was toying with the idea of a frontend PPF for my new Y but ultimately decided that it wasn't worth spending 2k+. Instead, I compromised on DIY PPF for the headlights and foglights. Materials were inexpensive, I think I paid $40 shipped on eBay for 3M film. I spent about 2 hours installing everything today and I could see why shops are charging so much for the work. Would I spend that much? No way, but it's a pain in the ass to work with.
Actually, the headlight and fog light pieces are the easiest ones to install. It will take about under 5 mins to put all 4 pieces.

Reactions: zoomer0056
That wasn’t the case for me with the precut I bought.
Yup. That's surely the case when learning to do anything new. I did my whole 2022 MSLR myself without ever having done it before. It took a long time and I really enjoyed the experience. My wife still doesn't understand. I learned new skills, met new people, bought new tools ... and the result is still awesome after almost two years.

Last edited: