Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY touchscreen tactile buttons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I won't have a M3 for almost another year (but hopefully not much more), but I've read enough reviews to be concerned about using the touchscreen while driving. The recent posts on this site finally prompted me to create this account and make a request of the community.

I found this DIY solution intended for phones and tablets and would like someone with a M3 to try it to see if it helps or not?

Touch-Device Tactile Overlay

Perhaps try different shapes, thicknesses, and positions and share your experience.

Thanks!

The stick on buttons can be removed and relocated.

Interesting idea! Note that the location (or function) of controls on the screen can change even at run-time, depending on what "app" or "mode" you select. Certainly true for the S/X, and from what I've seen the 3 as well. So you're probably not going to be unsticking and resticking stuff as you're driving the car. :)

However, I've seen that on my Model S, a lot of the controls I use frequently (alas not all of them) are located near the edge of the screen, and have fixed locations (such as the HVAC controls). I've thought about putting little tactile bumps on the bezel near widgets on-screen I want to be able to activate by feel.

Bruce.

I hope they move to voice commands, "Tesla, Crank AC to 10" "Tesla, Eject Mother in Law" "Tesla, Open Pano 50%", "Tesla Navigate using Waze to X" "Tesla Play No Hands using Spotify" "Tesla set speed to 10 MPH over the posted speed" "Tesla what is the best food at the next Supercharger stop?" "Tesla order a Double Cappuccino with skim at the next supercharger stop" "Tesla are their cops on my route?"

Reactions: S3XY