Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do app controls work when premium connectivity expires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my M3 yesterday and I am loving it so far. It is a real thrill to drive.

I was curious about the app controls for climate control, locks, etc. When my premium connectivity subscription expires, will those still work if I am further away from the car than Bluetooth range? Or will they only work when I am close enough for bluetooth? I park my car about 100 ft + from my house so I was curious about how this would be handled.

Thanks!

I just picked up my M3 yesterday and I am loving it so far. It is a real thrill to drive.

I was curious about the app controls for climate control, locks, etc. When my premium connectivity subscription expires, will those still work if I am further away from the car than Bluetooth range? Or will they only work when I am close enough for bluetooth? I park my car about 100 ft + from my house so I was curious about how this would be handled.

Thanks!

Premium connectivity for a Tesla doesnt have anything to do with remotely starting the climate control, opening the vehicle, etc.

Here is what premium connectivity on a tesla interacts with / controls:

(relevant text from the website)

Connectivity Packages​

Connectivity PackagesStandard
Included
Premium
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization-
Satellite-View Maps-
Video Streaming*⁺⁺-
Caraoke*-
Music Streaming*⁺-
Internet Browser*-
* Accessible over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity

*⁺ A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

Some features such as Caraoke and video streaming are not supported on some cars based on hardware configuration. Review your vehicle firmware release notes to confirm feature availability in your Tesla.

Reactions: fj_fan91
Premium connectivity for a Tesla doesnt have anything to do with remotely starting the climate control, opening the vehicle, etc.

Here is what premium connectivity on a tesla interacts with / controls:

(relevant text from the website)

Connectivity Packages​

Connectivity PackagesStandard
Included
Premium
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization-
Satellite-View Maps-
Video Streaming*⁺⁺-
Caraoke*-
Music Streaming*⁺-
Internet Browser*-
* Accessible over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity

*⁺ A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

Some features such as Caraoke and video streaming are not supported on some cars based on hardware configuration. Review your vehicle firmware release notes to confirm feature availability in your Tesla.
Thank you. Do you know how the app talks to the car then? And those controls will continue to work when the car is not hooked up to wifi/LTE? That is mostly what is driving my question. When my car is parked at the lot at work (several hundred feet from our office building), will I still have all those controls?

Thank you. Do you know how the app talks to the car then? And those controls will continue to work when the car is not hooked up to wifi/LTE? That is mostly what is driving my question. When my car is parked at the lot at work (several hundred feet from our office building), will I still have all those controls?

Depends on the cellular signal at your work. The car gets those through its own cellular connection (the same one used for premium connectivity). They absorb the cost for using that stuff, but if you want to stream movies and music, then you have to pay. That stuff used to be "included" on teslas, but they have too many model 3s and Ys to include that from a company cost perspective.

Reactions: fj_fan91