Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have a Performance Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Dual Motor Long Range Model Y in late January, and recently got a text saying my car was ready for delivery at the Buena Park location. Since I live in Northern California, I wasn't inclined to fly to Los Angeles to pick up my car so I let that go. I arranged to pick up my car at the Fremont center, and when I registered it for insurance, it came up as having a Model Y Performance VIN. When I saw the car, it didn't have the Performance Upgrade Package, but it does have a Performance VIN. Shy of taking my car out to the track and gunning it, is there any other way of knowing if I have an accidental upgrade?

And yes, my car had scratches on the drivers side door, passenger and rear door window trim as well as rear seat panel cover that won't stay in place. And the inability of the Tesla delivery team to access information was disappointing in myriad of ways. That said, I am grateful to everyone who managed to produce my car under difficult circumstances and I am sure I will love my second Tesla as much as I love my first. Still the best car I've ever driven by far.

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for the info everyone. My insurance really didn't go up much with this car, I guess even the performance model Y is still pretty damned safe in the eyes of USAA. Maybe someday, Tesla will let me pay $2000 to unleash the beast within like they offer on my model 3. Not that I'm likely to take them up on it.

How does one convince the insurance company that you don't have a Performance model? I'm assuming the "P" costs more to insure.

If you’re with USAA, you don’t. I changed to Progressive and got a much, much better rate. It’s also the principle. You’d think a insurance company would want to be as exact as possible... especially after all the paper trail I sent showing them their underwriters are wrong... their loss.

Ultimately, our 8 digit F cars, if they follow the same path as the 3s will never be as fast as true P cars. But I’m good with that. Plenty fast, even without the unlock.

ß