Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need inverter if I'm going with PWs??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of ordering parts for a PV system with PW2. Goal is to have a PV system that my home runs off of, that can power the PWs and then at night (and in the even of power outtage) I can run off PWs alone. I also want it set up for net-metering.

I live in Puerto Rico and found I can save a lot by just buying the parts and shipping them myself to PR vs what installers there want to charge me. As I understand it I need the following:

1) Solar Panels (PV)
2) PowerWalls (batteries)
3) Rack/Mounting system
4) Inverters???

The part I'm not clear about is inverters. I've had some people tell me new PWs now come with inverters within them so I don't need to use the microinverters I had originally planned (Enphase Iq7s). Then I've had others tell me you still need inverters and the PW inverters are not a substitute. Can someone please give me some clarity on this and also let me know if there are any other components I'm forgetting? Also, are there other parts like a switch or gateway I need to order?

Thank you in advance for your time,
New to Solar

Battery banks that are package such as power walls have thier own inverter and connect directly to the A/C panels. PV needs inverter to be connected to the grid. Now here in California any grid connected inverter will not work if the grid is down (for safety) Unless you have a separate load distributrions to your vital equipments in the hourse that are powered mostly from the battery banks if the grid goes down and you have to have a huge battery banks to surtain your in house loads. If your grid is so unreliable then probably your best beat is generator connected with an ATS or ABT to transfer seemlessly to your emergency power and vice versa.

The part I'm not clear about is inverters. I've had some people tell me new PWs now come with inverters within them so I don't need to use the microinverters I had originally planned (Enphase Iq7s). Then I've had others tell me you still need inverters and the PW inverters are not a substitute. Can someone please give me some clarity on this and also let me know if there are any other components I'm forgetting? Also, are there other parts like a switch or gateway I need to order?
I think this part tells me you are NOT even CLOSE to being ready to try a DIY installation. If you don't understand the general setup of an AC-coupled system, you are setting yourself up for disaster. I don't know how thorough electric and building code inspections are where you live, but getting through the permitting and inspection process anywhere in the States is a BIG hassle!

I think this part tells me you are NOT even CLOSE to being ready to try a DIY installation. If you don't understand the general setup of an AC-coupled system, you are setting yourself up for disaster. I don't know how thorough electric and building code inspections are where you live, but getting through the permitting and inspection process anywhere in the States is a BIG hassle!

I didnt read this as the OP was trying to DIY it him / herself.... I read it that the OP is trying to BUY everything themselves, and then going to try to get someone to install it after they do so.

Op, you are likely going to have to pay some local tesla certified installer to setup the system, because tesla usually requires a certified installer to "commission" (bring online) the system. So, even if you could buy everything here, and ship it there, unless you are a certified installer, or know one who will give you a hookup (doubtful because if you did, they would be ordering the correct parts for you), its likely that the end result will not be you saving much money, if any.

On topic of your question, the powerwalls come with inverters in them, but those are just for their own internal usage. if you are buying solar panels (PV), those will need an inverter / or inverters, depending on panel type, system type etc.

In order for you to even attempt to buy everything yourself, you need someone to completely spec out the system on YOUR house / residence, system size, type of panels, etc etc.

Installing solar on a home is not quite like buying as washing machine or something, and having someone install it. There is some specific knowledge that is needed. You are better off trying to source a local installer who can comply with all local building codes etc, than trying to order parts and then pay someone who doesnt know what they are doing to install it.

You can DIY your solar system with the Enphase IQ7 micro-inverters. When that's complete, buy the Powerwall system from a local installer and have them install it. Tesla Powerwall is not a DIY self-install product. There are other options that you can DIY if you want to go with a different battery system. For ideas, look at the web site wholesalesolar.com.

I...

Thank you in advance for your time,
New to Solar

Yes, PWs come with their own inverters but that does not mean your PVs don't also need their own. As you originally planned, those IQ7 is what you need even though my setup uses the older 215s.
Perhaps with the IQ7 you may not need the Tesla Gateway, that I don't know.

The enphase microinverters will run without the gateway if the Powerwall would provide a since wave carrier for them to follow, but I assume the Powerwall will not run with the grid offline without the gateway. Doesn't the gateway contain an automatic transfer switch that the Powerwall would verify as grid disconnected so as to not backfeed the grid?

Last edited:
The enphase microinverters will run without the gateway if the Powerwall would provide a since wave carrier for them to follow, but I assume the Powerwall will not run offline without the gateway. Doesn't the gateway contain an automatic transfer switch?
Yes, that what the Gateway does, the brains, does all the switching where the power goes.
The new Enphase smart inverter is something as their tutorial shows behaving similarly to the Gateway. My old 215 is not smart but works and needs the Gateway. :)

Well the IQ8 will provide a carrier wave, so it is possible that the Powerwall will run on top of that. Not sure how the IQ8 keeps from backfeeding the grid. The IQ6 and IQ7 inverters will not run without an AC carrier wave to follow, regardless of a gateway.

Without a smart switch, I imagine the IQ8 would turn off solar production if the IQ Envoy detects no grid power. The Tesla Powerwalls require the use of the Tesla backup gateway to do this.

in conjunction with Encharge storage system, the IQ8 will require Enphase Enpower smart switch to isolate the home form the grid to provide backup power. The device is similar to the Tesla backup gateway but requires the wireless communication kit to be installed in a Enphase IQ Combiner 3 or IQ Envoy to function correctly.

Capture.JPG

As a side note, the Tesla backup gateway 2 has room for 6 double pole breakers to act as "generation subpanel". Similar to the Enphase Enpower smart switch, all home power generation (solar, batteries, generator), backup loads and main power can be directly connected to one device.

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj