Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need permit for Tesla Wall Charger if I already installed a permitted 14-50 Outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Evening everyone!

I have recently installed a NEMA 14-50 Outlet but I have been interested in upgrading to the Tesla Wall Charger

My plan was to have the same licensed electrical contractor do the installation

Does anyone know if this will require permits and city inspections again? I have also been debating if I should ask my HOA, they already approved the NEMA 14-50 outlet but I am worried that it might take months to approve if I ask them first.

It took 9 months to get HOA approval for the outlet and 4 months to get permits and inspections completed by the city for the NEMA 14-50 outlet !

in 2019, I got a permit from the town to install a NEMA 14-50 and why did I do that is because, If the house ever burnt down, I didn't want the insurance company to use a not-permitted electrical installation as a reason not to fund.

Later on, I decided to install the Tesla wall charger. I took my plan to switch out the 14-50 with a Tesla charger to town and was told a new inspection was not needed.

I received 32 amps with the 14-50 and 48 with a Tesla wall charger. I really didn't need to change the 14-50 for a wall charger. I guess I became a fanboy and wanted to do everything Tesla and waisted a lot of money.
Where in your policy does it say they will deny a claim because of non-permitted work?

Upvote 0
Good Evening everyone!

I have recently installed a NEMA 14-50 Outlet but I have been interested in upgrading to the Tesla Wall Charger

My plan was to have the same licensed electrical contractor do the installation

Does anyone know if this will require permits and city inspections again? I have also been debating if I should ask my HOA, they already approved the NEMA 14-50 outlet but I am worried that it might take months to approve if I ask them first.

It took 9 months to get HOA approval for the outlet and 4 months to get permits and inspections completed by the city for the NEMA 14-50 outlet !

Heh.
My somewhat flippant answer is no if the TWC is set to 40A load, YES if you want 48A load

Upvote 0
Where in your policy does it say they will deny a claim because of non-permitted work?
Ok, just thinking through this… if the work is permitted, that means it’s legal, done to code blah blah blah, correct?

Now on the flip side, if it’s not permitted when it’s required, that means it may be illegal, non-compliant, etc. Wouldn’t that be grounds for denials of claims? You didn’t follow the rules of the AHJ…

IANAL, just trying to rationalize it out 😁

Reactions: father_of_6
Upvote 0
Ok, just thinking through this… if the work is permitted, that means it’s legal, done to code blah blah blah, correct?

Now on the flip side, if it’s not permitted when it’s required, that means it may be illegal, non-compliant, etc. Wouldn’t that be grounds for denials of claims? You didn’t follow the rules of the AHJ…

IANAL, just trying to rationalize it out 😁
In order for something to be denied by insurance, it has to be in the policy. As a former insurance adjuster, I've never heard of a HO policy that would exclude such a thing. Most of my time was spent in auto, but I had a brief stint in property and was trained in it from the moment I was hired.

I bought my house with an unpermitted add on. No issues covering ensuing damage after a roof leak within the first month of ownership. Not saying a policy can't be written that way, but I've never seen or heard of it.

• Informative
Reactions: karkrazy
Upvote 0