Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 M3 SR - Mobile Connector - 240v outlet 14-30 vs 14-50 question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Just got my M3 SR (RWD - the cheapest model. With the new rebates, couldn't resist owning a M3 for roughly $30k!) last Saturday and waiting for my Mobile Connector (Gen 2?) to be delivered. (how they sell a car and not give a charger I pay for is beyond me... but I digress).

I thought I had everything "decided" as far as installing my 240v outlet in my garage, but now I'm second guessing myself and spent the last 2 hours sifting through this forum for an answer but couldn't find one.

What I was planning on doing (please let me know if anything is wrong or not optimal):

Install a new NEMA 14-30 outlet on a new 50 A breaker, pulling new 6 gauge wire.
It turns out I only have one spare slot in my 200A panel, so I was planning on combning 2 15A singles on a 15A tandem to make room for the new 50A breaker.
BUT, I remembered I no longer use our electric oven outlet (went with gas) and found this Quad pull 30A/50A where the inside 50A was for the oven (see pic, oven breaker in OFF position) and the outside 30A is being used by my pool equipment. Any reason I can't disconnect the 2 oven wires and hook up my new 6 gauge wires into them? If not, no biggie. I can just install the new 50A.

As I was pondering and trying to find out more on this forum, I started seeing more and more discussions about using a 14-50 outlet.

Does it make more sense to install a NEMA 14-50 instead? (am I correct in assuming the 14-30 will give me 24A charging but the 14-50 will provide 32A charging?)
Do I need a 60 A breaker or will a 50 A suffice if I go the 14-50 route?
If I can stay on a 50A for the 14-50, any reason I can't repurpose the Quad's inside 50A breakers along with new 6 gauge wiring?
Do I need to do any additional work for the 14-50?

Sorry if I'm rambling on with these questions... it's late and my brain/body are tired.... good night and thanks in advance for the answers/advice.

-David

20230629_230453.jpg

It's no problem to use that 50 amp breaker. I believe the rule is 90% continuous load. Obviously charging an EV is fully continuous, which is why they are normally limited to 32 amp. I believe that's all your vehicle will charge at anyway. The thing that you connect with is not actually the charger, it just supplies the electricity. The charger is built into your car, it is limited to 32 amp, so having a greater supply available will buy you nothing.

Do check your local code. Most places let you kill yourself with electricity, or burn your own house down, but won't let you do that (for pay) for anybody else without being licensed. But, should you have a problem, you don't want your insurance company telling you it's all your fault!

I would consider the fixed wall adapter. I have a gen 2, since my Model S will charge at 80 amp and my model X at 72. That way if I need to I can charge them really fast (for home)! Unfortunately, the breaker system and load I have in our new house does not allow me to go over 50 amp, so the new one tesla sells is effectively as fast as the old one I've got.

By the way, in seven years and over 200,000 miles of driving a Tesla, I've never actually used a mobile adapter. I bought mine used and the guy didn't supply a mobile adapter with it. All I've ever had to use is home charging and superchargers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And now I'm reading I might need a GFCI breaker... I'm in SoCal... Ugh... I'm going to bed now. Brain is fried...

The issues are; safety, convenience and design. It not just wire and gfci…

It was simplest for me to pre install a 240 NEMA 14-30 when I moved into my garage in 2012 years before I got my Model 3. I bought a EVSE NEMA 14-30 adapter and use the mobile connector With the model 3.

The issue was how to store the mobile cable on the wall without hanging it from the NEMA 14-30 outlet. It’s fast enough for me, I drive 40-100 miles a day, it recharges in 2-5 hours. But I do not like the garage location I installed the outlet in 2012.

The Model Y motivated me to think more about where to put the charger in the garage, and how to coil the cable. I got a Tesla Wall charger and used 50 amp wiring so I could adjust the amperage in the future. But I chose to setup a 30 amp 240 circuit and circuit breaker for that wall charger.

I like the wall charger best. It’s easy to coil the cable around it, it’s in a good location in the garage. Someday I may replace the Model 3 charging NEMA 14-30 plug with a Tesla wall charger. It’s a better design.

So in your case, consider design and charging speed. Most people on the forum seem to end up with a Tesla wall charger. You can choose the circuit (usually 30 or 50) amps and it does not require a GFCI breaker.

Upvote 0
And now I'm reading I might need a GFCI breaker... I'm in SoCal... Ugh... I'm going to bed now. Brain is fried...
As you found out, the Mobile Connector comes with a 14-50 adapter, if you install 14-30, you need to buy a separate adapter.

Yes, by code in California, a GFCI breaker is required for any socket installed for EVSEs. If you go hardwired, you can avoid this requirement. Some people ignore this requirement regardless (which in your case would presumably mean just using your existing 50A breaker), but it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons (if you are getting a permit and it inspected you would have no choice).

I personally installed a GFCI one.

Also note when you buy a 14-50 outlet, avoid buying a Leviton one. That one has half contacts and thus reported cases of overheating and melting. Almost any other option is better (check that contacts are full length), but a popular industrial one is the Bryant 9450FR which can be bought at Grainger for ~$50. It uses a stronger hex screw clamping system.
This thread discusses various options:

Note faceplate required for industrial 14-50 outlets is different size than residential ones. I detail faceplate options here:

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
Just wanted to close this out, thanks to all who replied.

Going with a 14-50 (just ordered the Bryant from Grainger) and into the existing 50A breaker in the Quad that was previously used for the oven that no longer exists via a new 6 gauge wire.

The amount of info available once I was set on a 14-50 on this forum alone gave me the warm/fuzzy I was headed on the right path. lol

Upvote 0
This thread discusses various options:
The thread is voluminous, and much of it is not very useful.

But one of the more important posts is post #60 comparing a non-Leviton outlet to a Leviton outlet (photos):

Post #702 also has comparison photos:

Upvote 0
As to the GFCI breaker for the line to the 14-50 socket for mobile EVSE. I suppose it is a noble safety consideration and I am not suggesting it shouldn't be done. However, when traveling and you are at your brother in law's rural house with outdoor welding socket that has been there for fifty years, you may not know if its GFCI or not, and might just be glad that you can plug it in at all.

Upvote 0