Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Michelin Primacy mxm4 "green" tires ride harder/stiffer vs. Pilot Sports?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figure that because they're eco-focused and have low rolling resistance, the mxm4 green's give you a harder ride vs. say pilot sport a/s, pilot sport 3s, or pilot super sports. Has anyone tried them back to back? I'd like to soften the ride of p85d with performance plus suspension and I'm currently running the MXM4 greens with 19" wheels. I even tried to let some air out of the tires.

Is there not a suspension tuner/raceshop who can adjust the compression/damping characteristics of air suspension?

I have the same suspension and I have gotten used to it.

What pressures are you running? And if the tires are new they will soften up slightly after a few thousand miles.

I figure that because they're eco-focused and have low rolling resistance, the mxm4 green's give you a harder ride vs. say pilot sport a/s, pilot sport 3s, or pilot super sports. Has anyone tried them back to back? I'd like to soften the ride of p85d with performance plus suspension and I'm currently running the MXM4 greens with 19" wheels. I even tried to let some air out of the tires.
I had them back to back and there was no noticeable difference. (S85). I'm back on Primacy MXM4.

• Helpful
Reactions: tubaprde
Is there not a suspension tuner/raceshop who can adjust the compression/damping characteristics of air suspension?

I have the same suspension and I have gotten used to it.

What pressures are you running? And if the tires are new they will soften up slightly after a few thousand miles.
Hmm I don’t know enough about cars to assess that part about a shop.

Pressure is around 43

I had them back to back and there was no noticeable difference. (S85). I'm back on Primacy MXM4.

Which ones, the super sports or the A/S 3, or A/S 3+?

I just put the MXM4's on today, as it is now above 0 celsius and hopefully we are done with the white stuff. I was actually going to go with the A/S 3+, but found a good deal on some CPO takeoffs. I would like to hear more comparisons between the two Michelin tires.

@tubaprde if you think the MXM4's are stiff don't get Nokians. The Nokian WRG4's I took off are a little stiffer than the Michelin's, but that is what you pay for with the low rolling resistance. I'll take the increased range, especially since its winter and range is sacrificed enough with all the other factors.

The MXM4 are quite a bit quieter; I can actually hear the front motor spin up and down again; haven't noticed that since early November when I threw out the Goodyear's :D

Which ones, the super sports or the A/S 3, or A/S 3+?

I just put the MXM4's on today, as it is now above 0 celsius and hopefully we are done with the white stuff. I was actually going to go with the A/S 3+, but found a good deal on some CPO takeoffs. I would like to hear more comparisons between the two Michelin tires.

@tubaprde if you think the MXM4's are stiff don't get Nokians. The Nokian WRG4's I took off are a little stiffer than the Michelin's, but that is what you pay for with the low rolling resistance. I'll take the increased range, especially since its winter and range is sacrificed enough with all the other factors.

The MXM4 are quite a bit quieter; I can actually hear the front motor spin up and down again; haven't noticed that since early November when I threw out the Goodyear's :D

My WRG3s haven't worn out yet, but I use them for winter.
To answer your question, it was A/S 3.

I had 2 sets of a/s 3s and am now on the mxm4. The a/s 3 has a harsher ride than the mxm4 and is also noisier. Performance wise the a/s 3 is better, but not gave me slightly less range than the mxm4. The killer for me is that both sets of a/s 3s wore out between 11,000 and 12,000 miles. I currently have a little over 6,000 miles on the mxm4s and the thread depth was measured by Tesla at 8/32 inch a few days ago. I expect the mxm4s to have a much longer life than the a/s 3s.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
I had 2 sets of a/s 3s and am now on the mxm4. The a/s 3 has a harsher ride than the mxm4 and is also noisier. Performance wise the a/s 3 is better, but not gave me slightly less range than the mxm4. The killer for me is that both sets of a/s 3s wore out between 11,000 and 12,000 miles. I currently have a little over 6,000 miles on the mxm4s and the thread depth was measured by Tesla at 8/32 inch a few days ago. I expect the mxm4s to have a much longer life than the a/s 3s.
Pilot sport all seasons gave you only 11,000 miles? They’re rated at 50k or something right? Are you staggered? Did Michelin give you a pro rata discount because of exsess ware?