Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soundskins Cabin Noise Dampening Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used and installed the below sound dampening kit from Soundskins? If so, what are you're thoughts? Did it help with the reduction of road noise inside the cabin?

I've gotten my vehicle back from Tesla after 2 months and they readjusted the rear lift gate, and installed the lift gate stoppers but the car is still unbearably loud inside. Looking for an alternative to get me through to next April when I can get rid of the car after doing my taxes.

Thanks!

I don't have this kit but I have sound deadening butyl in these areas:

1687873647206.png

I can say for certainty that none of these areas matter except for:

1687873636542.png

The reason why I know is that I did every area except that spot because it's underneath some existing sound insulation foam. When I went back and added it, what a difference. Also @MY-Y can attest to that.

Have you tried putting vinyl tubing in the hatch gasket yet?

• Helpful
Reactions: JonB65
ilovecoffee: Is there any value to actually spraying the fiber wheel well liners with a layer of undercoating?

Well there is only fiber liners in the rear wheel wells. I'm not familiar with spray solution sound deadening. Although theoretically you should be able to take off the lining and then put sound-deadening material and then put the lining back. You might need longer retainer clips though. In terms of having both inside sound deadening and outside sound deadening on the rear wheel wells...probably you'll be majoring in the minor leagues at that point.

Someone recently did that on the front and posted about it somewhere on this forum and had positive results. I bought aftermarket fiber liners for the front so I never bothered. Myself, I was hesitant about putting butyl in areas with outside exposure to the elements although I know people do it.

Reactions: Pianewman
I don't have this kit but I have sound deadening butyl in these areas:

View attachment 951238

I can say for certainty that none of these areas matter except for:

View attachment 951237

The reason why I know is that I did every area except that spot because it's underneath some existing sound insulation foam. When I went back and added it, what a difference. Also @MY-Y can attest to that.

Have you tried putting vinyl tubing in the hatch gasket yet?
I have this kit but have yet to install it. I watched the YouTube install video but I wanted to ask….How was the process of installing sound deadening in these areas? Approximately how long did it take you? Any tips? TIA

I have this kit but have yet to install it. I watched the YouTube install video but I wanted to ask….How was the process of installing sound deadening in these areas? Approximately how long did it take you? Any tips? TIA
Was my first time doing it.

Wasn't too tough. Other than wearing gloves is the most important to thing. I also couldn't seem to release the subwoofer connector clip so I just left it connected but pushed out of the way.

Don't take off the entire back side panels just bend them back and out of the way. The less clips you undo the better.

It took me about 3 hours just to do the back section and that's with no instructions or experience.

@ilovecoffee so I watched your video. Thanks for that resource. I did the 5/16" vinyl tubing and made sure the stoppers were tight as suggested. It did help. I still hear that annoying vibrating noise from the rear what feels like the passenger side. I think I can live with how it is now. My only question when popping the trunk is there a loud BOOM sound? Has that resulted in any issues with your trunk hatch?

@ilovecoffee so I watched your video. Thanks for that resource. I did the 5/16" vinyl tubing and made sure the stoppers were tight as suggested. It did help. I still hear that annoying vibrating noise from the rear what feels like the passenger side. I think I can live with how it is now. My only question when popping the trunk is there a loud BOOM sound? Has that resulted in any issues with your trunk hatch?
Don't worry about the pop of your hatch. It's normal and will subside a little as it settles into place.

No one online can possibly know how to interpret "loud BOOM" you're hearing. For sure, if the gasket is too firm, and the stops are too high, there's additional stress placed on the latch and the closing mechanism. Personally, I'd have your local SC check it out, and maybe adjust the latch very slightly.