Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Not Disable Passive Entry!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already stated that four clicks will work - but that only works if someone is getting in the car with you. But if you're sitting in the car waiting to pick someone up, you'll need to dig out your key fob again and do the six click dance if you want to let them in. In a real world scenario, it's just incredibly inconvenient and a major step back in technology.

Picture this: It's becoming a hot day. You double click your fob and unlock the drivers door. You put your fob in your jacket pocket (or purse) and toss it in the back seat because the passenger will likely sit up front. You drive to school to pick up your child. You double press the Park button, per the manual, and the doors unlock for your child. Now the car is disabled with the Unlock to Start message and you need to reach into the back seat to retrieve your fob to start the car.

Worst case? You wait 10 minutes for your child to arrive and now the car automatically turns off. In my case, the Easy Exit activates and I'm pressed forward into the steering wheel and am unable to retrieve the fob from the back seat. All the doors are locked - now what?

I imagine most drivers leave Passive Entry On - it's very convenient. All I am suggesting is that by turning Passive Entry Off, perhaps to prevent hacking, you are introducing some legitimate and perhaps dangerous inconveniences to your driving experience because the key fob needs to be within easy reach at all times.

Ok. I can see that as sucking. Let me try passive entry when I pickup the kids from school today. I didn't realize that was the situation you were talking about.

I would think the car could remain enabled for 2 minutes after going into park, or something like that.

I'm not sure how they could address the auto-off thing. The car doesn't know you are there w/o passive entry. I'm sure they don't want it to stay on forever in case something like the seat detector stops working.

I turned off passive entry before going to get the kids.

It did not require the key after sitting in the car for 3 minutes, even if I pushed the P button to unlock/present the doors.

If I opened the door and lifted my butt off the seat w/ the seatbelt unfastened it would require a double click on the fob,.

I tried presenting the handles several times while I waited. After the first unlock, all doors presented each time I hit the park button once it was already in park.

Note to Tesla: The icons are backwards! The lock icon should be for locking, not unlocking - and the unlocking icon should be for unlocking, not locking).

The icons indicate CURRENT STATE, not what you want the next state to be.

The Easy Entry then activated, my seat moved forward and the steering wheel dropped - literally crushing me forward. I laughed originally, but realized I was trapped!

May I strongly recommend you save your easy entry profile with the seats all the way back and the steering wheel as far from the seat as possible for... easy entry? :p

Doesn't Tesla quality control any of their "features" before forcing them upon us?

Yea this is a weird one. You should be able to just hit your fob twice and start. Not a fan of this workaround