Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DO NOT EDIT YOUR ORDER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed the other day that current orders can now be edited. I went in just to play around with color options and realized that if I had saved my changes the price would have gone up by $1,000. I just thought I would let others know who ordered early, to not play around with any changes and perhaps to do them via Tesla much closer to delivery date in 2020...

OP is saying the base price went up by $1000. Changing colors could affect your price on top of that.
Correct, I did not think that making net-zero changes would move me to the NEW price so I thought I'd post a warning to save others who may make that mistake. I closed out and opted to change the color later. I'll probably change my mind several times before 2020 anyway!

I haven't seen anyone email them about this yet. So far ANY changes move you to the new pricing. But depending on your configuration, you may want to bite the bullet and do it before May 1 when FSD prices go up by $1000. May mean that editing orders means a 2K price increase after that.

Reactions: gbertsch
I haven't seen anyone email them about this yet. So far ANY changes move you to the new pricing. But depending on your configuration, you may want to bite the bullet and do it before May 1 when FSD prices go up by $1000. May mean that editing orders means a 2K price increase after that.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I've been holding back from changing the color, but I was so impressed by the autonomy presentation and the FSD video that I changed the color and added FSD. My bottom line price jumped a lot obviously, but WTH I'm old and retired.

Thanks for the helpful tip. I strongly suspect that Tesla will honor the original base price if one waits to make changes until delivery-notice time (and perhaps even if they don't). Based upon past experience, the most likely suspect as to why the price goes up right now when a change is made is far more likely dunderheaded programming than policy.

As noted above, the bigger risk is that options will rise in price between now and config time. I just want to change my paint color, so I would deem it not worth the risk to change it now. But if an option I wanted was advertised to go up in price dramatically I suppose one strategy would be to go to a Tesla store and ask them if the base price will be honored regardless. If answered in the affirmative I would request an email to that effect, then print out my current config, and bring those two pieces of paper to the store when notified my car was going to be produced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lhshockey24
Thanks for the helpful tip. I strongly suspect that Tesla will honor the original base price if one waits to make changes until delivery-notice time (and perhaps even if they don't). Based upon past experience, the most likely suspect as to why the price goes up right now when a change is made is far more likely dunderheaded programming than policy.

As noted above, the bigger risk is that options will rise in price between now and config time. I just want to change my paint color, so I would deem it not worth the risk to change it now. But if an option I wanted was advertised to go up in price dramatically I suppose one strategy would be to go to a Tesla store and ask them if the base price will be honored regardless. If answered in the affirmative I would request an email to that effect, then print out my current config, and bring those two pieces of paper to the store when notified my car was going to be produced.
I hope you are correct. Do you know anyone who preordered the 3 were able to change option they choose during delivery notice? i really want to change the wheels to 18 in and color from black to blue, but this will cost me 2k more now instead of the same as my current pricing since I ordered mine on day 1.

Reactions: gbertsch
Do you know anyone who preordered the 3 were able to change option they choose during delivery notice?

No, not specifically. I am aware of a number of times reported that Tesla was quite flexible in general when it came time to finalize the terms on the buyer's Model 3. My sense though that the base price change will not be an issue with config updates is more based upon what I've noticed over the years in the limitations of the code implemented in the Design Studio. Based upon past experience it would be congruous for the developers to simply not have added the few extra lines of code to first check if the car has already been configured, and IF TRUE, THEN don't recalculate the total price as though it was a new order. It seems simple and obvious to us on this side, but so often I've seen such "nuance" programming skipped over.

The main thing we deposit holders have going for us right now it time. There's no rush, other than the fear of the price of an option going up. That is a real fear of course. This whole thing is a kind of Monte Hall, Door #1 vs door #2 conundrum. Which it really shouldn't be.

Reactions: Klau2
When it came time to order my AWD LR Model 3, I jumped in early and did my order as soon as invited and saved myself a few thousand dollars before delivery. People who changed their orders did end up with the new prices from what I recall. Like some of you the change from black seats to white wasn't worth it, nor would have been the increase in my paint color. With the trade tariff situation what it is and who knows where that will end up and for how long, I personally wouldn't be changing my order as I suspect Tesla will be forced to have to pay more for parts coming from their China supplier. Don't think they will have any real recourse than to pass on and not squander the new raise of capital on things like this. Tesla will undoubtedly honor the price of current reservations (they did with me) but I wouldn't count of getting any money back for people switching things up after placing their reservation. You do so with knowledge of the new pricing.