Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Service Centers "allow" Caliper Cover add-on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of getting the Red Caliper covers made by MGP (in USA) and sold by RPMTesla (and some others sell a similar item). They are the aluminum type that clamp-on using 2 screws. MAde specifically for Model 3.

Have any of you installed these? If so did the SC say anything when they saw them? Would they refuse to remove a tire, or do any service because of 3rd party add-on?

And, I am also concerned about the safety aspect of the add-on covers. I have not read about any failures, but still looking for real world Tesla owner experience from you folks. Thanks in advance.

This is my car (19" Tesla OEM wheels that I had powder coated Satin Black
2019-06-24_11-25-30.jpg

Here are the caliper covers:
2019-06-27_16-15-45.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-06-27_16-15-45.jpg
    2019-06-27_16-15-45.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Funny
Reactions: rohan_aus
Please do not get those covers, they're painfully obvious to anyone who knows what a brake caliper should look like. If anything this would impede cooling of the caliper. Not much of an issue for most of us, but nonetheless.

This is the braking equivalent of throwing an M3P badge on your trunk.

If you want a less permanent solution than paint you can Plasti-dip. I did this in October about a week after delivery and it's held up 100% even with regular regular pressure washing, aggressive driving through the twisties, etc.

20190126_080730.jpg

Attachments

• 20190126_080730.jpg
    20190126_080730.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: davewill
I like the green. Doesn't shout wanna be. Could to do a close up and talk a little about the process?

Here are a few close ups:
20190705_103319.jpg 20190705_103314.jpg 20190705_103342.jpg 20190705_103331.jpg 20190705_103227.jpg 20190705_103237.jpg

The process is the same as paint for the most part, albeit several more coats which are sprayed thick ~4-6" from the surface to increase reflectivity. The farther away you hold the can the more textured/matte the finish will appear when cured. Here is a good tutorial on achieving the 'wet' look with no texture. Also prep is critical to good results.

1- Prep: Use a good grease cutting spray and clean 2 to 3 times before masking. Then do an IPA bath (spray liberally and wipe) and allow to dry. Then mask everything in the wheel well esp. if you are doing several coats and be very thorough masking around the rotor including the 'holes' where the brake pads are visible.

2- Dip: I did 14 in total (+ 3 coats of glossifier which is optional) but that is complete overkill as I want to get 5+ years of service before removal and have that removal be as easy as possible.

- Base: 2x coats each: gray, white and camo green (color base)
- Color: 6 coats of blaze green and let cure for at least 4 hours followed by the Tesla decals
- Gloss (optional): 2 coats of clear to seal decals in in finished by 3 coats of glossifier

3- Sealant (optional): Allow to cure for 24 hours then apply. I used Cquartz TiO2.

It has held up well but one observation is the gloss has dulled a bit in less than 1 year despite regular maintenance. I will probably do a light sanding (yes PD can be sanded using the right process...helpful for runs/flaws as well as scuffed or torn surfaces post-install) to remove any contaminants and shoot 2-3 more coats of glossifier and then apply 2 or 3 layers of dipcoat. This may provide a longer lasting gloss although it has to be applied more often (every 2 weeks) but it can be followed up with Ice to extend its service life to 3-4 weeks.

PS, regarding the OPs original question, my SC has not denied any warranty/delivery claims since these were done and I have had several appointments including a new aero wheel and cover. The svc manager only commented that they are unique. Mechanically the vehicle is not modified (only cosmetically) and dip is 100% reversible. If I do encounter any brake/hub related issues down the road it can be peeled off before taking it in for service.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3